GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Gamers?

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Anybody play maple story? Played all of middle school and half of high school now coming
Back to it :)

Also can anybody help with a stable overclock ? I have an i5 2500k and a p67 sli mobo and when I get to around 4.5 ghz it's unstable. Temps aren't a problem and my psu can handle it so I don't know what the problem can be? :iono:

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
Fallout 3 & Fallout New Vegas

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Anybody play maple story? Played all of middle school and half of high school now coming

Also can anybody help with a stable overclock ? I have an i5 2500k and a p67 sli mobo and when I get to around 4.5 ghz it's unstable. Temps aren't a problem and my psu can handle it so I don't know what the problem can be? :iono:

You could pull down the voltage. That's an insane clock speed, though - so I'd be careful whatever you adjust. Bringing down voltage is like leaning out the A/F and advancing timing. Risk of blowing shit up if you take it too far.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion

I have a 3570k and I'm not even clocked that high. I'm at 4.2ghz.
Try using Asus suite ii to overclock it rather than doing it manually through bios.
It'll change up voltages and speeds according to your liking.

Sent via my hairs.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!

Voltage is the issue, you need to raise it to get it more stable. Be careful as raising the voltage also increases temps and too high you will fry your CPU and mobo. Find a good OC tool like Asus to do it safely.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
My 3570k will run at 5GHz but I turned it back down to stock and can't really tell the difference. Overclocking only seems to make a difference on slower processors. My video card does do a lot better overclocked though... chances are a 2500k at 4+GHz is not your bottleneck.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Voltage is the issue, you need to raise it to get it more stable. Be careful as raising the voltage also increases temps and too high you will fry your CPU and mobo. Find a good OC tool like Asus to do it safely.

Hang on now, you're raising the voltage to stabilize? I have an old E6850 ("Conroe" Core 2 Duo, 65nm) that I clocked up at 3.5GHz (stock 3.0, 3.3 before hitting the stock voltage limits) and I only got stability by lowering the voltage. Has something changed in the past 5 years?

clownish

just clowning around
Built first desktop - i7-4770k, MSI 770, 32 gig, etc etc etc - workstation with gaming as the side benefit.

StarCraft 2 (WoL and HoTS)
DoTA 2
Far Cry 3
Diablo 3

I've got most of the Need for Speeds, Battlefields, Madden, etc. but I don't play much besides Dota right now.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
You could pull down the voltage. That's an insane clock speed, though - so I'd be careful whatever you adjust. Bringing down voltage is like leaning out the A/F and advancing timing. Risk of blowing shit up if you take it too far.
I've read everywhere that this cpu is meant for overclocking and can get 4.5 ghz easy. Some people even run this at a stable of 4.7-5ghz

Try using Asus suite ii to overclock it rather than doing it manually through bios.

Sent via my hairs.
Nice, I'll try that!

When I raised it nothing helped. I went up to 1.325 and it still crashed (after 10 hours or so). I am afraid of going higher than that but I currently have a 212 evo and 5 case fans. So I have decent cooling, but still scared of raising the volts.

My 3570k will run at 5GHz but I turned it back down to stock and can't really tell the difference. Overclocking only seems to make a difference on slower processors. My video card does do a lot better overclocked though... chances are a 2500k at 4+GHz is not your bottleneck.

Yeah my gpu is crap, I need to invest in a new one.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion

Sent via my hairs.

I've got a 3570k and I'm at 4.5, stable. I've got a great cooler though (I don't even remember what it is) and I've never had a problem. My mobo came with a utility to overclock within a windows environment, never had it easier.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
I've got a 3570k and I'm at 4.5, stable. I've got a great cooler though (I don't even remember what it is) and I've never had a problem. My mobo came with a utility to overclock within a windows environment, never had it easier.

I'm water cooled :)

Sent via my hairs.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
Hang on now, you're raising the voltage to stabilize? I have an old E6850 ("Conroe" Core 2 Duo, 65nm) that I clocked up at 3.5GHz (stock 3.0, 3.3 before hitting the stock voltage limits) and I only got stability by lowering the voltage. Has something changed in the past 5 years?

When you raise the clock speed (or multiplier) the voltage needs to go up with it to maintain the increased speed with more power to the CPU. Also need to pay attention to DRAM speeds and voltages as well. This is at least the old school method of doing it. It all depends on the quality of the motherboard as well if it can handle the extra speed and voltage that the CPU needs. I have had old Conroe and Wolfdale chips that I could crank up the speed and the stock voltage was already high enough and the chip was a good bin that I was able to lower the voltage a bit. I haven't personally had a processer that had it's OC made stable by lowering the voltage.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
When you raise the clock speed (or multiplier) the voltage needs to go up with it to maintain the increased speed with more power to the CPU. Also need to pay attention to DRAM speeds and voltages as well. This is at least the old school method of doing it. It all depends on the quality of the motherboard as well if it can handle the extra speed and voltage that the CPU needs. I have had old Conroe and Wolfdale chips that I could crank up the speed and the stock voltage was already high enough and the chip was a good bin that I was able to lower the voltage a bit. I haven't personally had a processer that had it's OC made stable by lowering the voltage.

You brought up a good point about these old processor's high stock voltage levels. Could be that modern processors are tuned to such low voltages to begin with. That and there's so much going on with the MB itself when you raise our lower the cpu voltage.

butchered by autocorrecr

Shini

Go Kart Champion

Actually, the reason we increase voltage really has nothing to do with the CPU needing more power technically. We do get more power, but to get more power you could also increase the current. What we're trying to do is get more voltage to make something happen, not just pump more power into the CPU.

The reason you need to increase voltage after a certain amount of overclocking is because of how alternating current works. The frequency is the speed of how fast the current oscillates, it goes up and down, up and down. The higher the clock (or frequency) the faster it goes up and down.

The computer reads the voltage at the "top" or peak up the "up" swing as a 1, and the "down" as a 0. That's how it crunches its numbers.

You evnetually get to a clock so faster that it goes up and down too fast for the computer to reliably read if that was a 1 or a 0?

The way it works, when it goes "up" to read it as a one, it kinda bounces around for micro micro micro seconds, then levels out for a bit and once it levels out THAT's when the CPU reads it as a 1.

If it's going too fast, the CPU only sees the wave as it sort of bounces around, and it won't read it as a one, that is when your clock becomes unstable, and it won't work.

We add voltage to the A/C Wave to make the wave "shoot up" faster, and therefore it "levels out" faster too, so while you're still running at the faster frequency (or clock) it will speed up how fast the wave rises.

Kind of like a rubber band, the farther I stretch it, the more tension I put on it, the faster it's going to travel once I let it go. Same thing with AC current when adding voltage.

The more voltage, it raises faster, gets the bouncing around part out of the way faster, levels out faster, and can read it as a 1 before the wave starts to drop again.

That's why you need to increase voltage to stabilize a clock. It's got nothing to do with providing more "power" to the CPU. It's just the physics of electricity works and how can we make it read a 1 quicker. :)

Can't speak for why lowering voltage would make something more stable, that seems backwards to me lol...I imagine it has something to do with making the wave raise and fall too quickly, off the top of my head. Still seems weird though haha

Last edited: