GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please Help! Bluetooth module and Nav headunits

kelsosv

Okay, this is driving me nuts. I feel like what I want is so simple, yet I can't seem to find the info I need after searching for what feels like eons.

I have a 2011 GTI Autobahn edition. I believe I have the RNS-315 head unit. I'm sure I have an older bluetooth module, but I have no idea how to tell which is which. The numbers on it are 5K0 035 730.

All I want is to be able to retain the stock navigation features, but be able to skip tracks via the steering wheel while connected to bluetooth. I'd love to be able to see the tracks on the display, but I'll settle for just the skipping functions. My questions are, how the hell do I tell which bluetooth module I have (9w2, 9w5, 9w7)!? And what OEM head unit, if any, will allow me to have navigation and a better functioning bluetooth setup, while also working with the Dynaudio.

And before anyone says RCD330+, I've read plenty on that head unit and don't want to go down that road. Especially with the inconsistent reports of it working with Dynaudio. I like the stock navigation, and prefer to keep it as close to that as I can.

For the love of all things music related, pleaaaaaasssseeee can someone help me figure this out. Thank you!

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Any OEM head unit from the MK6 era is going to be far below what you can do with a modern aftermarket head unit. This is probably not what you want to hear, but an aftermarket head unit will be superior in every way except for matching the OEM aesthetic. I can't say that the aesthetic is worth putting a mediocre, 6+ year old head unit in the car, especially considering that any good dash kit will get you a look that still blends well, and doesn't look out of place.

Admittedly, audio is pretty important to me compared to some people, but I think if you're going to upgrade, actually upgrade, don't put in a crappy OEM head unit just because it looks slightly more natural.

kelsosv

Any OEM head unit from the MK6 era is going to be far below what you can do with a modern aftermarket head unit. This is probably not what you want to hear, but an aftermarket head unit will be superior in every way except for matching the OEM aesthetic. I can't say that the aesthetic is worth putting a mediocre, 6+ year old head unit in the car, especially considering that any good dash kit will get you a look that still blends well, and doesn't look out of place.

Admittedly, audio is pretty important to me compared to some people, but I think if you're going to upgrade, actually upgrade, don't put in a crappy OEM head unit just because it looks slightly more natural.

It's not entirely about looks though. I like the features of the MFI and not a single aftermarket options keeps those features. The only integrated head unit I can find that does is an Alpine model only that isn't offered here in the states. I will say, every other dash kit I have seen does look like absolute garbage.

I also have the Dynaudio which appears to be finicky with aftermarket head units. I have no interested in swapping speakers or amps, I've done that in the past but I am fine with the quality currently in the car. As someone with professional music equipment at home, I'm pretty happy with the sound quality in the GTI.

As far as functionality goes I'm pretty please with the RNS-315, with my only gripe being the bluetooth playback. Hence my post. I don't need anymore features, I just want a decent Nav and bluetooth that I can skip with the steering wheel controls. If that means upgrading the bluetooth module or to something like an RNS510 then I'm open to it. All the other stuff I'm not interested in.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
iDatalink will keep all of those features. I understand not wanting an aftermarket head unit for the other reasons you mentioned, but you can keep steering wheel controls, audio info in the gauge cluster, usb, etc.