GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Popping Sound when Turning Steering Wheel

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
When I get in the car, and crank the wheel to back out of my spot, there is a muted popping sound..I can also hear it when turning at super low speeds.....I cannot hear it over 10 mph....probably because of engine/road noise.

I'm at 9900 miles. This started AFTER I installed a FSB and Deadset Rigid Subframe kit at 7700 miles...not immediately after, but there was definitely no popping sound until the FSB. Which leads me to believe it is FSB related, but it could be something else. Is the FSB going to be making noise when I turn the steering wheel at a dead stop?

Any input/experience is appreciated!

Danz5k1

Ready to race!

If the sound you described sounded like torque wrench clicking/popping, then that's something to do with subframe bolt and control arm bracket-to-chassis bolt.

Make sure you replaced all of the bolt with new Audi bolt N-908-235-01 on the locations numbered 1,2,5 and 6 in the picture above. Torqued them to 82lb/ft + 1/4 turn when using the Audi bolt.

Since you have the Tyrol subframe kit, bolt location 3 and 4 would use the ARP bolt, torqued to 52lb/ft.

If you have done all that during your FSB and subframe rigid kit installation, then check the swaybar bolt and all of the other remaining bolt.

And if you don't already know, bolt locations 1,2,5,6 must be replaced with new ones if you removed them. Bolt 3 and 4, the ones that comes with the Tyrol kit is reusable.

Danz5k1

Ready to race!
It'll get worse over time.

But potential damage, so far by reading those who had such problems before founding solutions for it, seems minimal or none. It is more annoyance issue, but when those bolts are loose, the steering and front suspension becomes sloppy. It feels like an old car.

And seems to me the subframe design is just crap, and even if you didn't remove/alter those bolts - they will still get loose sooner or later.

The real fix is to purchase Tyrol deadset rigid subframe kit and swap the VW bolt with the Audi bolt. But it does cost a bit, yet it is becoming a necessary evil to spend on it.

dassergio

Ive had a similar issue with my mk6 tdi.not sure if its the same but when i brought it in they found the noise was the upper table bearings wore out. where the shock struts bolt on to the inner fender there is a bearing/bushing assembly that wears out often supposedly. I have 26000 km on mine so i guess this happens a lot.

georgy

Ready to race!
I have the same sound and it started after installing springs.

So how is changing those bolts supposed to solve anything? Is the subframe just loose??

dassergio

The subframe could be making noise because the holes for the bolts are much bigger than the bolts them selves. The subframe tends to slide around a little underneath and can loosen the bolts eventually. Tyrol sells a "rigid collar" kit to correct this. It comes with new bolts and clever washer/spacers that fill up the space and centre the wholes perfectly. supposed to make a hell of a difference in handling.

Otherwise I suspect, since ppl hear the noise after spring installations, that the springs your putting on are shorter and stiffer and tend to have less bend in them. so when turning at low speeds the spring may actually rotate and pop or actually slide to the side abit and hit the strut frame. either stay with the stock springs or buy the whole assembly, strut and springs, that go with your aftermarket coils.

dassergio

If it is the springs popping and you dont have the budget to swithout the struts, just leave em in there.... it won't do any damage to your car and really shouldn't get any louder or anyworse.

mike.RO

Hi guys.

Unfortunately, I am forced to bring this topic back to life.

I own a 2011 MK6, 1.4 TSi / 122hp, M6 transmission; most of you are probably not very familiar with this engine - I live in Eastern Europe though.

About 4 months and 8000 or 9000km ago my car got a Bilstein B14 coilover. After a month and around 5000km or so, I started hearing some popping noises - at that point, it was only noticeable when reversing into a parking spot, for example. Time passed and the sound was present more and more often and louder. It now sounds awful and though it only makes noises when steering while not moving or moving slowly (<10mph), I started hearing it when passing over small irregularities on the road at low speeds.

This next video should explain better than my unpracticed English :)

http://youtu.be/p3Kk0MIBR2g

I recently changed the..things that sit on top of the dampers along with the bearings in the same spot without any result.

I had multiple looks at the subframe bolts, but they don't have any slip marks and are tightened well.

I read some posts about coil binding, but my "pops" are way too loud and violent to consider it; actualy, at every "pop" the car's floor "moves" - you can feel the floor popping as well.

I'm pretty much out of ideas and will be very grateful for any piece of advice.

Thanks!

Sent from my Microwave using Tapatalk Ray.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Check the springs. When I had my VWR springs installed they found the stock springs still had the clamps on them that come on the car from the factory; the clamps are supposed to be removed upon delivery to the dealership but somehow never were. After the new springs were installed, I had no more popping noises.

mike.RO

@corydd: I got my car delivered with those protection plastics on the springs too, but removed them at the dealer about 500km after buying the car - they begged me not to make it popular on national forums :).

@Dave1078: I just got back from another garage where a mechanic had a look under the car and checked everything; as the others, he had no clue as where to begin investigating since all the elements under the car are in good condition.

We tried (again) tightening the subframe bolts without any results.

He took off the antiroll front swaybar (I hope that's the right term) as one holding of this thing was not moving flawlessly, but with no restults.

I'll leave you with another video shot about 4 hours ago:

http://youtu.be/jyVbY8dPOH8

Sent from my Microwave using Tapatalk Ray.

banged

Ready to race!
Oh man, the infamous noise. I suggest you remove the aftermarket coils and install your stock if it still makes the same noise then go from there. Chasing these noises can be frustrating and costly, especially if you start buying more aftermarket parts to address the issue. I did chase some noise also but the thing that solved it eventually was replacing the steering rack. Frustrating. Good luck.