GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible DMF failing w/ video

omgti5

Been having this sound for a few months now. Usually happens coming away from a stop, but will also happen in park if it's cold enough outside. Subsides slightly when the car's warm but still happens. Clutch packs were replaced under warranty just a month ago, so I'm almost sure it's the DMF. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjdhiu_euI

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Been having this sound for a few months now. Usually happens coming away from a stop, but will also happen in park if it's cold enough outside. Subsides slightly when the car's warm but still happens. Clutch packs were replaced under warranty just a month ago, so I'm almost sure it's the DMF. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjdhiu_euI

Do you get a rattling sound at idle? Any rough shifts like 1-2 or 2-1? Other driveability problems as well, like excess slop when going on and off the throttle in a given gear.

I just had my DMF replaced while my RMS was getting replaced, and I was surprised how much quieter it was at idle and driveability (plus new PCV) is muuch better. I used to get occasional rough 1-2 shifts especially when cold.

Also, if the clutch packs were just replaced, bummer that the flywheel couldn't have been done at the same time seeing as how it is 90% the same labor to get the trans off the vehicle. That's the main reason I replaced mine while everything was apart for the RMS.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Is it just coincidence that you are turning at the time of the noise, sounds a lot like the steering rack!

That also sounds just like a top front strut mount, they can be noisey in cold weather! As the video is so short it’s hard to put the noise in context!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’ve had a failed DMF on my current GTi and my previous TDi neither sounded like your video, not to say it’s not that though!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Is it just coincidence that you are turning at the time of the noise, sounds a lot like the steering rack!

That also sounds just like a top front strut mount, they can be noisey in cold weather! As the video is so short it’s hard to put the noise in context!

Yeah the fact that this video clip shows while turning as well is a little misleading potentially, but I think he did describe that he hears some kind of noise at idle.

As these cars get older they definitely develop some odd noises. One of the more surprising one was sort of a ship creaking noise I'd get when going over bigger bumps at lower speeds, when I got the car back after my RMS was done there was no sound whatsoever and the car did handle better, and I suspect that the noise and previous ride quality issues were due to the LCA bushings just being dry with no grease. when they reinstalled them, they probably greased them as well and that may have helped. Also I think the fact that they had to re-torque the subframe bolts when they reinstalled the subframe, that helped temporarily stiffen things up (Tyrolsport Deadset and SuperPro LCA bushings going in probably next week)

omgti5

Update 2/11: it was 65 degrees here in NC today, no noise whatsoever at startup idle or at all pulling away from dead stops. Whatever it is making the noise (DMF, strut mounts) just must be sensitive to cold temps. I'll keep an eye out for it though; thanks for the input guys.