GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible HID solution for us with halogens.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
The OEM xenons were a bit out of my price range, and honestly I don't like the look of the housing itself, it's actually what me not like the look of the MKVI's when I first seen them, but I find myself missing my ghetto HID-kit I have on my celica.

Anyway, what I've stumbled upon is a remote-adjustable HID kit. The point is it adjusts in and out in order to focus the beam to minimize the glaring/"dazzling" of oncoming traffic that normally happens when you put an HID kit in a reflector housing.

Here's a video of them in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KpQ9aKTvLk

and some pics.

before:

after:

Last edited:

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I know I'm new here, but those look terrible! It looks like the mechanism that adjusts the headlights just cuts off some of the light, reducing overall output in the process. I have some experience with HIDs and with retrofitting my headlights on my old car, so speaking from experience, you would be better off doing a custom HID projector retrofit.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
I know I'm new here, but those look terrible! It looks like the mechanism that adjusts the headlights just cuts off some of the light, reducing overall output in the process. I have some experience with HIDs and with retrofitting my headlights on my old car, so speaking from experience, you would be better off doing a custom HID projector retrofit.

Nothing is being blocked, just the bulb itself is being moved in and out to focus the light.

here's a picture of the bulb itself:

and the remote

A projector retrofit is obviously the "best" solution. But my car is on lease (though I do plan on keeping it). And there is no way I'm cutting up a brand new set of headlights..

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I hear you... I'm not about to hack up my new headlights either. I'm currently searching for a set that I can retrofit, so I can always go back to stock if I screw them up. That bulb/motor design doesn't look too bad, but it seems like you would have to play with the adjustments to find the best spot for the optics of the reflector that it is going into. How much does a set run?

PDUB

Ready to race!
Yea I'm gunna have to say pretty lame on this one. First, I don't see how no one has noticed that the non projector housing already have a cutoff line! If no one knows what that is, mean they look the same as projectors. Pull your car up in front or your garage or a wall and turn the headlights on and you'll see the cut offline. I have hids in my gti and they don't blind other drivers!!
As for those lights, that's just more shit to break, it's already difficult enough to get our cars to accept hids.

subacpw

Ready to race!
Yea I'm gunna have to say pretty lame on this one. First, I don't see how no one has noticed that the non projector housing already have a cutoff line! If no one knows what that is, mean they look the same as projectors. Pull your car up in front or your garage or a wall and turn the headlights on and you'll see the cut offline. I have hids in my gti and they don't blind other drivers!!
As for those lights, that's just more shit to break, it's already difficult enough to get our cars to accept hids.

have you stopped to poll drivers on if your lights bother/blind them or not? and every light has a cutoff.
(not meant to be a dick im just asking if its your opinion that your lights dont blind other drivers or fact.)
its already been discussed and while maybe it does not blind other drivers i do believe it is still illegal to put HID lights into a non HID housing.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
its already been discussed and while maybe it does not blind other drivers i do believe it is still illegal to put HID lights into a non HID housing.

You are correct... I've been hanging around enough HID retrofitting sites to know that its is illegal to put HIDs in a reflector housing that was not designed around a xenon bulb. Unless they came that way from the manufacturer, they are definitely illegal.

PDUB

Ready to race!
Subacpw- no poll, but just out of curiousity, how many cars, not trucks but cars with or without hids blind you? I have a harder time seeing when a BMW Benz audi.. Anything with a colorful projector is coming at me than I do with hids in a regular housing. Not saying that their not really bright I'm just saying everyone complains about how they don't wanna blind other people. Maybe I just don't pay attention, maybe I just don't care that I'm blinding other people. If I can see what's in front of me pretty dam good then I'm happy. And yes, their illeagal but so is almost anything other than stock on a vehicle, at least in Cali.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
I hear you... I'm not about to hack up my new headlights either. I'm currently searching for a set that I can retrofit, so I can always go back to stock if I screw them up. That bulb/motor design doesn't look too bad, but it seems like you would have to play with the adjustments to find the best spot for the optics of the reflector that it is going into. How much does a set run?
Yeah, if you watch the video they show the bulbs going in and out of focus as they adjust the bulb. The current US distributor sells them for like 150-160 but I might be able to get them cheaper through xenith xenons if they decide to start selling them, that's the only thing stopping me from getting them through the current provider.

There is already cut-off yes, but with reflector housing it tends to scatter the light more so than a projector. I'm pretty much to posting this to help gauge interest for xenith xenons (independently of course, I'm just trying to get a cheaper price haha).

Not too concerned about legality, no emissions/inspection in Kentucky, cops don't give a shit, and is there anything fun that isn't illegal?

subacpw

Ready to race!
the only time a bmw or merc audi ect bothers me is if they have their high's on or if its just cresting a hill.

i am way more botherd by any type on non projector light. be it a true factory HID or halogen or a hid in a halogen.

Projectors, imo, offer better light output and better visibility in all forms and conditions. For me its just a fact of the lens is focusing the light in the best possible way rather than just reflecting it.

granted multiplate reflectors do a fine job of providing good light. and as always HID's are always better than halogen.

Im not trying to get in an argument or say that your car is for sure blinding or distracting, hell there are probably more older cars with headlights that need adjusting causing WAY more of a problem then a car like yours with hid scatter but at least, id say, 85% of the light going in the right direction. <- i hope that made sense.

but pretty much I know that most the time modifying your car in any way is "illegal" but, to me at least, as long as it does not affect/effect the safety of you or others on the road I could care less. (my WRX ran a 3" catless pretty much straight pipe)

mikochu

boogerface