GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possibly a new forum member.

lon888

Ready to race!
Hi to all. I'm from Oklahoma City and I might be a new VW owner and forum member. I have been looking for a new 4-door GTi with a 6-speed. The dealer I have been working with in the Dallas area has found the car I'm looking for and he shot me an excellent price quote. I am not having pre-buyers remorse, but I am conerned about the reliability track record of VW. I have been reading about everyone's new car woes. The one thing that really concerns me at this time is the clutch throw out bearing issue. I hope this is an isolated problem or problem with interface between the seatback and steering wheel. Another thing that concerns me is the crazy electrical system on this car (CAN Bus system). I'm a mechanical engineer and been in the aircraft turbine and engine repair business for 31 years and have never seen a system like this before. For the past 23 years I have been a loyal Honda guy. so needless to say I'm used to really reliable electrics and other systems. During my 23 years of Honda ownership, I have only taken a car in for warranty repairs 3 times. No matter how you feel about Honda, that's an impressive record! All other maintenace I do myself.

Since I have been driving, I have owned a lots of fun sports cars - Datsun 240Z, Fiat X1/9, Austin Healey Sprite, Triumph TR-6, MGB, Honda Prelude and Civic Si. Several of the cars were basket cases and I restored them myself. I do everything including engine and gearbox rebuilding, suspension work, interior, air con, anything except bodywork. I don't have the patience to sand in 1 spot for 8 hours. Working on Lucas electrics (the prince of darkness!) taught me a great deal about working on electrics. During the late 70's and early 80's, I worked on "them furrin" cars to me help get money while I was in engineering school. Jumping on a Porsche 911, BMW 2002, Jaguar E-type meant little to me. It was just fun!

To most people, driving around in a GTi, I must look like a whacked-out old guy. Did I mention that I am a 50-year old grandfather of 5? Having a 4-door will make it a lot easier to load the grandkids into their car seats. I think they'll like riding in "Pappy's fun car". I guess I can't get fun cars out of my blood. My wife is a car nut also. In June, she bought a new Hyundai Sonata with the 2-liter turbo motor. For a big sedan, that baby runs like a scalded cat. That motor is silky smooth, the power comes on in a linear fashion and gets really good gas mileage (34 mpg!) and criuses effortlessly at 85 mph at 2600 rpm.

Getting this new car will require me to get some new tools (XZN fastener bits, VAG Com diagnostics package) but it will also cause me to learn some new skills. One thing I always purchase immediately is a factory repair manual. Things look to be laid out slightly differently on VW - but I guess I'll learn about their idosyncrasies in short order. Also I was looking at the mods that the members perform and I'm really impressed by some of them. I really like the practical mods like getting rid of the "noisemaker" and bluetooth receiver cover. As soon as I get my car, I'll probably order the parts to do those mods.

Any way, I hope my deal goes through and I can be the proud owner of a new GTi!

BTW- I might not be trading in my '05 Civic Si , so if anyone would like to buy a really nicely maintained Si, shoot me an email.

Cheers! :thumbup:

VINNY1

Ready to race!
In my 7th month of ownership, and no issues yet. I,m very happy with the car so far, and it's a joy every time I drive. I got a buddy who plans on buying one. He drove mine and was sold. He said he didn't want a "chicktronic" until he drove my DSG, now he says the transmision is awesome. BTW I'm old too, 41 in a couple of weeks, my buddy is 44. I read the average age of a GTI owner is 40. GTI's are also the 10th most ticketed car is America.

K.I.T.T

Passed Driver's Ed
If you switch cars every 5 years and drive an average mileage what's the worry? VW had to give a good warranty given the reputation they well earned over the past 20 years of making a lot of junk models.

It is certainly not going to be as reliable as a Honda long term, but it won't be a Jag V12 either.

I take solace in the fact that mine was assembled in Germany rather than many models in Mexico or Brazil. Perhaps a false security since its probably Eastern European immigrants working in the German factory, but oh well.

I love the car. I have not sat in a Honda yet that feels like it has a soul.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I think the majority of us don't see any problems at all. I had the same concerns initially as you do and it scared me enough to get an extended warrantee...which generally I see as a rip off but it is at least some peace of mind when at least in my case, absolutely cannot have a car sit in the garage until I get the chance to fix it (that's precisely why I replaced my older MBs). Also intending to race in G-stock Auto X it should be good with the warrantee (chip tune would void both). Also for reference the 2011s do not have a "noise hose" or whatever they call it so hold off on that.

lon888

Ready to race!
Thanks for the support!

I want to thank all who have responded to my rantings and musings. Your advice will definitely settle down my "stress meter". Like I stated in my thread I hope the real cause for trouble will be the interface between the seatback and steering wheel! Cheers to all! :thumbup:

jerm

Ready to race!
Also I was looking at the mods that the members perform and I'm really impressed by some of them. I really like the practical mods like getting rid of the "noisemaker" and bluetooth receiver cover. As soon as I get my car, I'll probably order the parts to do those mods.

Any way, I hope my deal goes through and I can be the proud owner of a new GTi!

BTW- I might not be trading in my '05 Civic Si , so if anyone would like to buy a really nicely maintained Si, shoot me an email.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Btw, the 2011-2012 model years do not have the "noisemaker", so you should be clear on that ;)

Welcome to the world of VW, oh and welcome to the forums :w00t: