GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Powdercoating ?

bigshoulders

Ready to race!
I'm kicking around the idea of having my stock Denvers powder coated in lieu of buying a set of after market wheels.

First, a few questions:
  1. How long does it take to have powder coating done?
  2. Does it take a long time to "cure"?
  3. For those who have had wheels powder coated, how much should I expect to shell out?
Attached is a photo of some powder coated Huffs on a MKV that were for sale on Vortex.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
the local dealer down wher ei live can do power coating in a

Drop off in morning pick up in afternoon for $150 AUS per rim.

Thats a kinda indication on price :)

bigshoulders

Ready to race!
Thanks Kevin. I'm also trying to figure out the logistics of doing such a project. I mean, I'd have to have the car on jack stands, remove the wheels w/ tires... then remove the tires... and somehow get them to the powder coating shop. Not sure if this is feasible w/ just a single set of wheels.

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
Ive been tossing this idea around as well, im pretty set on it. My mk6 is "black magic" and I thought black detroits with a polished lip might be kinda neat. I'm actually in the process of moving to NC in the next two weeks. Im already here, just waiting for my wife an cars to make it here next. Im a bit farther away from Raleigh, Im stationed at Cherry Point. If you find a good place to do it, keep me posted.

bigshoulders

Ready to race!
Will do, sir. My car is still on the line at Wolfsberg, so it may be a while before this sees the light of day.

Thank you for your service, JJF. My 2nd cousin is in the Corps. We're all very proud of him.

FN in MT

Ready to race!
I had a set of BMW bike wheels powdercoated. They were on an older airhead twin. They had been hit by some sort of corrosive liquid and looked like hell. The end results were FAR better than I had expected. Dropped them off one day, picked them up the next. I'd say it's a good way for you to get the black wheels you want...go for it.

FN in MT