GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Preventative Maintenance

serpico

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been doing a lot of reading here and am wondering about preventative maintenance. Is it ever too soon to start?

Can I get some of your thoughts / opinions on whether I need these items for preventative maintenance?

1) Clear braw to prevents rock chips. Sounds good in theory, but I live in the desert and hardly ever have to deal with the elements. My commute is about 40 miles on the highway each day though. My previous GTI, a 2007 Fahrenheit had little to no rock chips. Anyone know if the MKV's had better paint?

2) Scotch guard for cloth seats. I don't eat or drink in my vehicle. The scotch guard would be to prevent dirt and grime build up. Should I apply to brand new seats? First time having cloth, so putting a chemical on brand new seats is somewhat alarming.

3) Keeping the steering wheel clean. I've seen a lot of posts about the stitching of the steering wheel tuning a different shade. Would using a Lexol leather cleaner starting now prevent this moving forward?

4) DSG knob. On my old GTI, the knob was beginning to fade. Would regular cleaning with a good cleaner like Aerospace 303 prevent this?

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OCD... you have it.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
its a car my dude, drive it. if you want it mint, get a storage unit and put it in there. hook it up to a battery tender and put it up on jacks, youll be set.

as per your questions. seats are fine and easy to clean. paint is the same as mkv. knob will have normal wear and tear and so will the wheel. dont worry, just drive.

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
I've been doing a lot of reading here and am wondering about preventative maintenance. Is it ever too soon to start?

Can I get some of your thoughts / opinions on whether I need these items for preventative maintenance?

1) Clear braw to prevents rock chips. Sounds good in theory, but I live in the desert and hardly ever have to deal with the elements. My commute is about 40 miles on the highway each day though. My previous GTI, a 2007 Fahrenheit had little to no rock chips. Anyone know if the MKV's had better paint?

2) Scotch guard for cloth seats. I don't eat or drink in my vehicle. The scotch guard would be to prevent dirt and grime build up. Should I apply to brand new seats? First time having cloth, so putting a chemical on brand new seats is somewhat alarming.

3) Keeping the steering wheel clean. I've seen a lot of posts about the stitching of the steering wheel tuning a different shade. Would using a Lexol leather cleaner starting now prevent this moving forward?

4) DSG knob. On my old GTI, the knob was beginning to fade. Would regular cleaning with a good cleaner like Aerospace 303 prevent this?

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!

1 no
2 no clean them when dirty
3 nothing on wheel. don't drive with filthy hands
4 wont stop fading but sure

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I can't comment on the clear bra as I've never had one.

I used scotchguard on my seats, it seems to do its job. I never eat and drink only water in my car, so that helps a lot too.

For cleaning the steering wheel and shift knob use woolite diluted 6 parts water to 1 part woolite. As for the fading shift knob, 303 has UV protection so yes it should help keep it from fading, also use a windsheild sunscreen when parking in the sun.

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
I can't comment on the clear bra as I've never had one.

I used scotchguard on my seats, it seems to do its job. I never eat and drink only water in my car, so that helps a lot too.

For cleaning the steering wheel and shift knob use woolite diluted 6 parts water to 1 part woolite. As for the fading shift knob, 303 has UV protection so yes it should help keep it from fading, also use a windsheild sunscreen when parking in the sun.

would the 303 rub off the knob isn't going to absorb it is it?

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
303 doesn't clean either. You could always put a sock on your knob when its parked ;)