GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick help, Are these RPF1's real or fake? (Pics inside)

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
So a guy who lives around the corner from me is selling these RPF1's 18X8.5 et40 5x114 for $900 including tires. (tires are crap, i know) Im going to see them at 6:00.

I dont know how to spot a fake so your help and opinion is need STAT!

So i went and saw the wheels. Took my own pictures. Check them out and now see if you feel any different. I honestly think the center cap and crappy lugs are what's killing these wheels.. after seeing them in person, they look incredible. The finish on them really pops. Looks like a quality wheel. If they are reps they're damn good. I'm still cautious.. i don't know what to think. The guy in person was really cool and very knowledgable. HE was cautious about reps as well when he bought them from another guy. He mentioned some of the things i read about fakes. For ex: Where The lugs sit, on fakes its much shallower. Real ones sit nice and deep like the ones in these photos. The story is he bought these used from a guy who had them for a while. That guy had the wheels refinished. This makes me feel they're real, because who would spend the money on refinishing Reps? IDK.. Anyways look at these photos. The wheels were on the car so it was pretty hard to get a decent shot. He's even willing to come over some day and pull the wheels off to weigh them and check out the back.

Heres a close up of the VIA marking. Dont know what that means. :(

This is hard to tell but here it says 18X8.5J ... not sure what the J means

Dont know what this marking means.

Last edited:

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
spokes have a different design. gut is saying their fake.

edit. Definitely fake

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Yeah i think you guys are right. Lol it's always too good to be true.. A couple things are throwing me. The outermost lip looks too thick, the spokes like you side are just off, i guess also too thick. They area where the lugs sit look way to cutaway, and go all the way out to the face of the rim. Not to mention hideous center crap and garbage tires.

Darn.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
You should weight it....

Though TBH, the price is not that crazy. A guy locally was selling his 18x7.5 with really beat Kumho Ecsta's for less than $800 IIRC.

EDIT: It was $600...lol

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
i would go and check tho.

1.you can see the back of the wheel and it will show enkei stamped.

2. you will need to run wobble bolts bc our cars are 5X112

i may re-tract my comment of them being fake.. they could be infact legit.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
You should weight it....

Though TBH, the price is not that crazy. A guy locally was selling his 18x7.5 with really beat Kumho Ecsta's for less than $800 IIRC.

EDIT: It was $600...lol

Dang that's cheap. i just got excited when i saw these because they're the exact size i'm looking for. For some reson im having a lot of trouble finding wheels i like in that size.

Yeah i'd get wobble bolts. Unfortunately the wheels are still on his car. So it might be hard to see the back, and i can't weigh them.

But now we have maybe.. lol

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Spoke profile looks goofy - they're way too fat at the base of the spoke where it meets the rim.

Also, notice the oversize VIA stamp around the hub. And the goofy centercaps. I call fakes.

Here are real RPF-1s in 18x8:

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion

It should be stamped on the back of the spoke right?

I sent him a text plainly asking if they're real or reps, and that something looks funny and he "says" they are real. His english isn't to good though. lol