GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RAI Oxygen Sensor Adjustable Spacer

P

plac

RAI Oxygen Sensor Adjustable Spacer

Bought from RAI for $22 + $13.84 shipping UPS ground. I always have a critique about something, and the unsavory part of this purchase was the shipping cost. This would have been $4.95 flat shipped anywhere in the USA through USPS. I would have had it in 3 days, for much less money, but instead I had to wait a full 7 days.

This is a Vibrant Performance part #11621 that RAI is selling. I would compare shipping at various places to see which company has the better deal overall.
I found it here for $2 cheaper, plus $4 cheaper shipping: http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/vibrant-performance-11621/
I found it here for $1 higher, but UPS ground is $8.50 to me from this company. http://www.aptuned.com/

Anyways, on to the part. This part is EXCELLENT quality. Have never seen a better spacer. Check the machining work:

This is my CEL delete test on my Ultimate Racing downpipe which I am running stage 1 on currently. I have the better cat for emissions, the ceramic 400 cell. I got a CEL at 55 miles, cleared it, and got the next CEL at 33 miles. I was confirming for sure before I start messing with the spacer. I will start with the strongest (smallest hole) spacer, as if that doesnt get my CEL light out, nothing will. If it does get the CEL out, I may consider trying the middle jet, but might not even want to mess with it. I am concerned with my O2 sensor wires reaching, as I pull the O2 sensor another 2" forward, I will get a pic of that during installation.

P

plac

wow that looks great! do you have a ccta or cbfa?

CBFA. and for anyone that doesnt know, the UR downpipe bung I am using this on already only has a tiny pinhole as it is. Thats how sensitive emissions are.

trackstar

Ready to race!
CBFA. and for anyone that doesnt know, the UR downpipe bung I am using this on already only has a tiny pinhole as it is. Thats how sensitive emissions are.

Are the bungs on the UR placed differently than stock? I have spacers on my dp and the sensors reached fine.

P

plac

Are the bungs on the UR placed differently than stock? I have spacers on my dp and the sensors reached fine.

same places as stock, much better than many downpipes ive seen. but the front bung is aimed forward, thus this spacer will aim it even further forward.

P

plac

Firstly, the c clip retainer is very poor quality. I used it just once, snapped it into place, turned my spacer upside down, and the insert fell out. The clip had no spring in it at all, and is really too small. I had to work it for a while very carefully enlarging it, then installing it using as little crush as possible. I got most of it into the ridge and was satisfied. I also had a pile of c clips but none fit. And yes, I have proper C-clip pliers.

Now to the install:

The O2 sensor bung on the Ultimate Racing downpipe. Aims forward.

Spacer fits nicely, was able to use the normal 7/8" wrench.

Plenty of clearance room to tunnel once installed:

O2 sensor wire had plenty of room:

Anyone that also might want to try a spacer in the front Ultimate Racing bung, you can't use a straight shot. Its way too close to the tunnel:

I will find out within 100 miles max whether this spacer makes my CEL light go off or not.

P

plac

about 40 miles with spacer now. CEL has NOT gone out yet. if it doesnt go out by 100 miles i am done testing. if it works, it only takes between 40-60 miles or so. (and if it doesnt go out i go back to stock downpipe and just enjoy the simplicity of stage 1.) no more swapping tunes all the time im REALLY sick of it.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the link...Definitely waiting to see how things go... .. .:thumbsup:

P

plac

Just parked with 100.1 miles on the spacer.

CEL is not off.

I might put another dozen or two miles on it, but I will be removing my Ultimate Racing downpipe at the next available opportunity. I've had a nice run with all kinds of downpipe experiences, and I'm ready to slow down. I just don't want to deal with it anymore, especially not a bigger "J" spacer. I want a simple car, with a nice clean stage 1 program.

If the spacer was going to work, it would have worked within about 50 miles. If it takes 100-150 or 200 miles, it will be intermittent anyway, because it shouldn't take that long. Additionally, i have the 400 cell cat on this UR downpipe, and most people have 200 cell cats. I should have had even better luck than them if it was going to work.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Try clearing the cel light and give it few more miles. This way you will know for sure if it doesn't work.

P

plac

Try clearing the cel light and give it few more miles. This way you will know for sure if it doesn't work.

nah. worthless test. either it works or it doesnt. thats the same as waiting 500 miles just in case.

the CEL came on at 55 miles, i cleared light, then came back on at 36-40 miles. thats all it takes for a result in either direction.

P

plac

additionally.. the UR downpipe already has a built-in "spacer". Look at the O2 bung on the inside of the pipe. It is almost completely sealed. The little copper you see is a tiny pinhole in the bottom which opens to the downpipe. So this was in a sense a "double spacer" setup. That shows you just how strong these emissions are.. Twins couldnt even tame it.

crew219

Banned
nah. worthless test. either it works or it doesnt. thats the same as waiting 500 miles just in case.

the CEL came on at 55 miles, i cleared light, then came back on at 36-40 miles. thats all it takes for a result in either direction.

Time for a stratmosphere spacer?