GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear suspension noise over bumps

darkGTI

Ready to race!
Hey, I have had this issue for a while now, went to the shop and they said that "everything looks fine". So I hear dense noise coming from rear suspension when going over any kinds of bumps on slow speed. Now I have ST coilovers installed for a while now, but this started happening way after shop installed them. I confirmed that it's nothing banging in the trunk by taking out everything including the tray and spare. As far as suspension goes I have ST coilovers set to half way and Unibrace in the trunk, everything else is stock.

Any recommendations for diagnostic would be appreciated, thanks!

darkGTI

Ready to race!
Stock sway bar in the back...
Is there a list of parts that I need to change in the rear like sway bar bushings, strut mounts, any bolts? Maybe put something a bit stiffer in terms of strut mounts since I do autoX and track?

MKVI_noizsky

Ready to race!
Try wiggling the sway bar if there's a play. Replace the rear bushing. I had this problem in my aftermarket sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lon888

Ready to race!
Another thing to look into is the swaybar end links. I have been through 3 sets already because of the noise they made.

Antimatter

Ready to race!
Another thing to look into is the swaybar end links. I have been through 3 sets already because of the noise they made.

What did the noise sound like with the bad end links? I've been trying to figure out the noise coming from the rear in my car. Cannot figure out what it is, but my suspicions are with the endlinks as it happened shortly after a RSB install. Strange because it will all but go away for a while and then for a couple of days straight it will be really obnoxious. Don't know if it's due to the weather or what.

ruervyn

Passed Driver's Ed
Same issue here. I recently had broadway static coilovers installed. At first everything was quiet. After a few weeks of installation, I get the occasional dense thump noise. I can hear it coming from the rear passenger side. Usually happens during a bump or road imperfection or hard cornering. I just lifted the car today to check if anything was loose on the rear passenger side. I check upper shock mount, end link and tried to wiggle the rear sway bar. Everything seems fine :(

Antimatter

Ready to race!
Same issue here. I recently had broadway static coilovers installed. At first everything was quiet. After a few weeks of installation, I get the occasional dense thump noise. I can hear it coming from the rear passenger side. Usually happens during a bump or road imperfection or hard cornering. I just lifted the car today to check if anything was loose on the rear passenger side. I check upper shock mount, end link and tried to wiggle the rear sway bar. Everything seems fine :(

Pretty much the exact same here. Installed coils and rear sway at the same time. No noises for a couple weeks, then started noticing the noise. I can't tell which side it's coming from though.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Even with the stock rear sway bar?

100% endlinks go all the time and cause clunks. Im not sure what your descriptions of "dense noise" was supposed to say but i bet its endlinks

ryansmk6

Ready to race!
ive had this same noise that everyone is describing and never thought to check my end links. i really hope thats it lol.

darkGTI

Ready to race!
100% endlinks go all the time and cause clunks. Im not sure what your descriptions of "dense noise" was supposed to say but i bet its endlinks
So how would I test if it's the endlinks or not? Just undo them and go for a ride and see if noise disappears?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah you can just unbolt your endlinks from the sway bar, take the endlinks off and go for a drive.

I wouldn't completely remove them (because they might not be the problem)

Just unhook them & swing them up away from the bar, then go for a quick drive.