GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilding a 2.0 TSI after timing failure at 173k *ON A BUDGET* (less than $1k spent) - And Then Balance Shafts 2 Years Later

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
I might buy the $80 one from ECS https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-parts/intake-manifold-oe-06j133201bd/06j133201bd~brp/ or https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...nifold-equivalent-to-06j133201bd/06j133201bh/ with all the electronics. I had my wife go out and start the car while I watched the arm and in park, I think the rev limiter is around 4k as she could bounce off it and the arm would pull in, but after a second, go back to resting state like it's at idle. I dont see it moving side to side which would mean its popping out of position horizontally but that's not happening as far as i can tell. Oh hell, I just will buy the $200 one and get the new installation kit (hose) as well and call it a day.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Oh hell, I just will buy the $200 one and get the new installation kit (hose) as well and call it a day.
'Buy nice or buy twice', I always say.

Good news is, the newest manifold revision is quite a bit more robust and not prone to the many failures of the old one.

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a flip car, but I want it to be good, so yeah, I ordered both pieces, shipping date is the 15th. I was careful when installing the intake manifold so I'm 99% sure the rubber gasket isn't pinched (isn't everyone though?), so I wonder what I'll see when I take it apart. Maybe I can clean the flaps with cleaner and keep it as a spare.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I bet one of the internal flappers went past its point of return and is now stuck. Verry common

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm also replacing my PCV valve assy. I think its malfunctioning based on the tests I've ran on it and its cheap insurance. I'll compare it to the one I bought to see if they act the same and who knows, maybe I'll have a spare. I'm going to start looking for another GTI here after a bit also as I'd like to have one with the 6 speed manual.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would wager one of the harnesses got damaged, pin pulled out or bent. You'll know when you take it off and inspect. I damaged a water pump plug when I pulled my manifold. Good luck!

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the old intake off and don't see any issues with the connectors or the intake itself short of one small plastic piece broken off that I don't think interferes with anything but may be wrong.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah you are wrong. That is the stoppage for the flapper so that one runner doesn't close or open properly now.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I bet one of the internal flappers went past its point of return and is now stuck. Verry common
This is what I was describing.

The redesign unit you purchased fixed that flaw

Skip to 2:00 in this vid it is exactly what failed on your old manifold

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
I purchased an MK6 exactly the same way you did. One tip that I can give you is when you take the cam bridge off and spool valve make sure to clean them both out very well. I put my car back together with out doing this and it was misfiring and throwing bad timing codes. Double checked all my marks and all looked dead on. So decided to take the cam bridge off again and clean it out and the spool valve was taken apart and also cleaned and now the car is idles perfectly and no more misfires. The only thing I’m battling right now is a leaking crankshaft seal on the new timing cover.

Ive been fighting misfire issues and the like and remembered this post. Do you just use carb cleaner to clean it all out or what? I did originally clean mine out and it ran fine, but now it gets misfires at idle and something is not right. Replaced the coils, replaced all the injector seals, still misfiring at idle, so I'm about to take the top timing chain cover off and investigate what is going on.

zrickety

The Fixer
Ive been fighting misfire issues and the like and remembered this post.
Have you checked spark plug gaps? Tried some injector cleaner?

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you checked spark plug gaps? Tried some injector cleaner?
Yep and yep. I just took the cam bridge off and checked timing and it's looks a little off. Will check it again later.. the marks on the cam gears don't line up with the marks on the chain but not sure that's an issue.
IMG_20201031_170309.jpg

zrickety

The Fixer
Yep and yep. I just took the cam bridge off and checked timing and it's looks a little off. Will check it again later.. the marks on the cam gears don't line up with the marks on the chain but not sure that's an issue. View attachment 190611
It takes like 200 rotations to get the timing marks to line up. You can count links and make new marks with a paint pen to see if you're close. Otherwise, lock the tensioner and start over by putting everything at TDC. It helps to pull the chain guides.

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
It takes like 200 rotations to get the timing marks to line up. You can count links and make new marks with a paint pen to see if you're close. Otherwise, lock the tensioner and start over by putting everything at TDC. It helps to pull the chain guides.
I was wondering how many rotations. It sounds fine except for the misfires and the links are off by three on both sides in the photo so I don't think it's skipped timing tbh. I'm just not sure why I'm having issues.