GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing The Intake Cam Lobe (FSI)

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
why do i keep getting quoted 10 hours to replace it? :eyebulge: what's so difficult and time consuming about replacing it??

i really don't want to but i'm going to take a stab at it when my lobe comes in.

do i need any special tools?
do i need any replacement one time use parts? (bolts, etc)

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Because replacing a camshaft isnt an easy job. You need many special tools and you must be very precise and take your time.

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
i've changed cams on japanese cars and have friends who are non vw techs. as soon as i mention the fsi it's like i mentioned la chubacabra

what are these special vw tools i need?

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Not many tools that are that special and can prob common to others car or could be bought. But most of it is just the time it takes to work through it to make sure everything is correct. Looking through the repair manual just some tools needed would be a cam holder, camshaft gear puller, accurate torque wrench. It is similar to other cars in replacing the cam shaft and it does take a decent amount of time to do the job correctly.

Get yourself a Bentley manual and have at it if you have some people who have done it and have the correct tools.

Gregg@USP_MOTORSPORTS

Master VW Tech
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i've changed cams on japanese cars and have friends who are non vw techs.

Just pm JC@douglass on the vortex he will be able to give you a good price as he is located in jersey. I would not attempt doing this job yourself or with your JDM buddies, chances are you would end up buying a new motor after attempting it.

GolfRS

Banned
Can't someone actually track down the procedure from Bentley and
post it for all too see ?

I have to say i am starting to get a little annoyed from this whole "demonization"
process surrounding cam replacement.Its an car engine FFS !!!Its not
a transatlantic rocket.

Judging from all the VW techs i've seen, if it were THAT difficult, VW would have issued
some kind of directive to have the whole cylinder head to be shipped back to Germany
for cam replacement....And whats even funnier is that pump lobe failures just
happen to include an intake cam replacement....HOLY SH*T !!!

Chris@RT

Banned
Not many tools that are that special and can prob common to others car or could be bought. But most of it is just the time it takes to work through it to make sure every

Actually most of the tools for the job are specific to the 2.0t and not even other VWs or Audis, so generic tools will not work.

The cam holder is specific only to this motor and possible one or two other Audi motors but I haven't seen one.

There is also the gear puller which is semi generic but the claws have to fit this specific cam gear. The exhaust cam adjuster which should be reset is specific to this motor as well. Just replacing the intake cam and this is not a huge deal unless you want to replace the cam seals which i Recommend. Also getting the cams in and out and aligned is more of a pain with the adjuster on the exhaust cam but can be done.

Removing he sealant from the cam cap which is the whole upper part of the intake manifold is a total bitch, especially if its a factory one and in there rock hard. One scratch and you need to buy a head as this part is not available separate.

10 hours seems like a deal to me honestly, I've done the job and wouldn't want to do it at a dealer for a minute less.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Actually most of the tools for the job are specific to the 2.0t and not even other VWs or Audis, so generic tools will not work.

The cam holder is specific only to this motor and possible one or two other Audi motors but I haven't seen one.

There is also the gear puller which is semi generic but the claws have to fit this specific cam gear. The exhaust cam adjuster which should be reset is specific to this motor as well. Just replacing the intake cam and this is not a huge deal unless you want to replace the cam seals which i Recommend. Also getting the cams in and out and aligned is more of a pain with the adjuster on the exhaust cam but can be done.

Removing he sealant from the cam cap which is the whole upper part of the intake manifold is a total bitch, especially if its a factory one and in there rock hard. One scratch and you need to buy a head as this part is not available separate.

10 hours seems like a deal to me honestly, I've done the job and wouldn't want to do it at a dealer for a minute less.

Yeah I had a hunch that the parts were not similar to other VAG cars, I just went though and manual and picked out the parts. But yeah, its not that the job is that difficult for someone who is use to working on engines, but it takes time to make sure everything is correct, and like Chris said 10 hrs is reasonable.

aaronnn

Passed Driver's Ed
wonder what differences there are between the amount of tedious work on a cam follower compared to a coffee-makerville9000

MMD

Oval Champion
I'm working on that right now , really it's very complicated , and u have to check the clearance of both I/E camshafts by using plastigages.
U have to be sure that the radial clearance is 0.035 mm max ,if not, u should abort the installation immediately.
Other wise the camshaft will break and u end up replacing the whole head block..

Regarding the special tools required for removing and installing the camshaft:

Put in mind that there are some other parts need to be changed,and it needs special tools as well.

I hope that help , I'm in searching phase of installing Schrick camshafts, once I sort out everything, I promise to create a full complete thread for that.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 10,489
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 10,699
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 10,521
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 10,398

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Ecstuning.com most likely, they got everything.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Just to understand how intricate jobs can be, sonnen vw here has a german tech from vag, he speaks litlle english but can swap cams in an hour.

Leave it to the dealer lmao.