GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rheostat

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
I wonder if splicing into the leveler rheostat harness from the rear of the car would do what you intend. The AFS system relies on that level sensor to determine the height of the HID's

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if splicing into the leveler rheostat harness from the rear of the car would do what you intend. The AFS system relies on that level sensor to determine the height of the HID's

Doesn't seem like anybody has done this yet. Maybe I will give it a shot at some point.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Doesn't seem like anybody has done this yet. Maybe I will give it a shot at some point.

If anyone or any company were to send me a rheostat id be more than happy to write up a DIY and detailed review:D

ride106

Ready to race!
The leveling motors for the OEM bi-xenon housings are controlled by several components. Retrofitting just the housings and ballasts is relatively inexpensive, but getting the automatic leveling to function gets very pricey very quickly.

To get any function out of the xenon motors, you need the AFS module that mounts underneath your glove box. That facilitates the communication between the CECM and the level sensor. Usually the level sensor is mounted on the rear wheel, but I suppose you could accomplish the same task with a manual dial if you're good with circuits. You also need a power module to mount next to the ballast underneath each headlight assembly. (ECS sells them).

Here's a writeup by someone who retrofitted all of the autoleveling components. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46536

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
The leveling motors for the OEM bi-xenon housings are controlled by several components. Retrofitting just the housings and ballasts is relatively inexpensive, but getting the automatic leveling to function gets very pricey very quickly.

To get any function out of the xenon motors, you need the AFS module that mounts underneath your glove box. That facilitates the communication between the CECM and the level sensor. Usually the level sensor is mounted on the rear wheel, but I suppose you could accomplish the same task with a manual dial if you're good with circuits. You also need a power module to mount next to the ballast underneath each headlight assembly. (ECS sells them).

Here's a writeup by someone who retrofitted all of the autoleveling components. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46536

Again I have an Autobahn with OEM bi xenon headlights

ride106

Ready to race!
OK, so then you're on your way. Take a look at the pinout sketch on the link I posted - most of the AFS control module pins are not assigned at all, at least for the OEM autoleveling functions.

My bet is that three of the pins are reserved for a rheostat that VW never bothered to manufacture for the MK6 GTI. If you can dig up any more information about the pin assignments on the AFS module, you could probably retrofit the ones that Ed is selling for your needs.

James9449

Ready to race!
Slightly off topic, but when the word 'rheostat' came up, I thought I'd throw this out there. As you can see, I have a 2011 GTI. The rheostat for the dash lighting is very limited, going from 'bright' to 'not so bright.' I cannot turn the dash lights down to very dark or completely dark, as I've been able to adjust cars I've had before. Don't know if there's a switch modification I can make or other approaches or whether this is even possible. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this limitation. Ideas are welcome.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
The OP asked how to dim and or completely turn off the backlit dash both of these options accomplish that. Autometer option does both, the euroswitch does the latter.

Autometer Dimmer gives a greater range of adjustment over the dash switch. I have one of these wired inline with my dash switch that limits the amount of current that reaches my dash switch.

DRLs are wired to the dash lights. Disabling DRLs and running a Euro switch in the "0" position with some vagcom tweaking leaves the interior dark.