GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS-510 Map and Firmware Upgrade

ksing44

Ready to race!
You should have a DVD with the original maps that came with your car. The new maps are something like $250 from VW. They sent me an email to update, but I figured I would wait for quite a while before worrying about updates. There have not been that many new roads in the last year to make it worth $250 to me.

Bye the way, there is a dedicated site for the RNS-510 and firmware discussions
vwnavi

Also, I'm not an expert. I have a DVD, but I suppose it is probably packaged with the firmware. Maybe it can't be loaded as just a map. I would ask a question at the vwnavi website. Those guys seem to know all the answers.

Last edited:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Hmm my 2011 didn't have a DVD of maps?

ksing44

Ready to race!
Hmm my 2011 didn't have a DVD of maps?

Is your nav an RNS510, or the RNS315? I thought they switched to the 315 in 2011.

My RNS510

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
315 Looks like. Figured it would be the same way.

ksing44

Ready to race!
315 Looks like. Figured it would be the same way.

I think the 315 isn't a DVD drive, but you would think they might give you the map data somehow. I wonder how they will provide updates, maybe CD or you will have to stop in at a VW dealer.

One other thing. On the vwnavi site they told me the OPs update firmware was for Europe!.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
510 is by DVD, see your salesman, they can get their hands on one and should let you update it for free. I think the CC still has the RNS 510.

jlc

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
FYI, I scanned my 2012 RNS-510 unit, and it is the following:

Part number: 3C0-035-684 E
HW-Version: H08
SW-Version 2625
Map version HDD: 7515

From the looks of it, I got the 'new' unit in my car, although I wouldn't say the speed is all that fast. My music partition is only 20GB too, as opposed to some saying it should be 25GB in E/F versions.

I take it the firmware and the map version are the latest out.

ataman

Ready to race!
FYI, I scanned my 2012 RNS-510 unit, and it is the following:

Part number: 3C0-035-684 E
HW-Version: H08
SW-Version 2625
Map version HDD: 7515

From the looks of it, I got the 'new' unit in my car, although I wouldn't say the speed is all that fast. My music partition is only 20GB too, as opposed to some saying it should be 25GB in E/F versions.

I take it the firmware and the map version are the latest out.

Thanks for the info! My firmware is 1040... so your is higher for sure!

PS: U a pilot?