GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR Clutch and Flywheel Question

dcpppf

Ready to race!
XG, appreciate your two cents.I just don't hear much about the actual strength of the stock fw's, and have relatively no experience with this myself.

Zrick, how much are you asking for it?

Passed Driver's Ed
Sub'd for info on the OEM flywheel. I just started slipping yesterday and am curious how much time I have until I need to worry about needing to replace the flywheel too.

Same for me. 31k miles with no issues whatsoever. Less than 1200 miles after my APR stg1 tune and yesterday I noticed slight slipping in 5th gear. It's offputting that the stock setup fails so easily. So now I'm driving like a 90 year old man till I figure out what I'm going to do.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the same boat. Happened last night. Very subtle slippage in 5 and 6. I really thought I was one of the lucky ones.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
I'm planning to buy the RSR kit in the next day or two; I've just got a couple of questions for my shop before I pull the trigger.

The stock setup was designed for stock power; can't blame VW much for that. There is an absolute TON of clutch info on here at least.

What mileage you at Austin_W?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Is there a reason you're not considering a Sachs Performance clutch kit with OEM flywheel?

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...2.0-TSI-155-kW-;-04/2009-:::2_6_806_1191.html

It is 606 euros -19% VAT = ~485Euros = $656 USD.

It has a Sachs performance pressure plate, not some 200hp pressure plate modified to hold more power. it also has a specialty organic lining disc and a rated performance value (Transmittable torque 550+Nm. ) with a healthy 15% safety factor built in.

The HSTuning RSR is just stock parts. The disc is from a VW TDI which makes 200hp. The flywheel is a 200hp Luk unit from a FSI, modified to hold a higher clamp load. $1000 buys you stock parts with a small modification.

Why not go with the setup that has been engineered from the ground up, to hold more power to begin with?

Dave

This^ Im amazed how many people dont know about this kit. Its the best kit for the car and they are an OEM supplier. NO need for a kit pulled together that was not integrated for the GTi from the beginning. The Sachs kit is. Period.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info on Sachs. I honestly just haven't heard a lot about them. After shipping and everything it comes out to closer to 790, but still noticeably cheaper than the RSR for OEM parts.

Looking for more reviews on the SRE now.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Couldn't find many reviews of the SRE. I did come across people having problems with keeping the DMFW with the SRE clutch/PP, so that makes me a bit leery. But in looking at how people feel about the RSR; I've seen no bad reviews.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Is there a reason you're not considering a Sachs Performance clutch kit with OEM flywheel?

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...2.0-TSI-155-kW-;-04/2009-:::2_6_806_1191.html

It is 606 euros -19% VAT = ~485Euros = $656 USD.

It has a Sachs performance pressure plate, not some 200hp pressure plate modified to hold more power. it also has a specialty organic lining disc and a rated performance value (Transmittable torque 550+Nm. ) with a healthy 15% safety factor built in.

The HSTuning RSR is just stock parts. The disc is from a VW TDI which makes 200hp. The flywheel is a 200hp Luk unit from a FSI, modified to hold a higher clamp load. $1000 buys you stock parts with a small modification.

Why not go with the setup that has been engineered from the ground up, to hold more power to begin with?

Dave

I don't know much about the SRE clutch so I'm up for learning more.

But the skepticism for the RSR is unfounded. This PP was built for VW's V6 TDI, rated stock at some 360+lb-ft of torque. When you feel the pedal you'll wonder if it were rated much higher. At any rate, the product is worth more than the sum of its parts as it's clearly holding much more than 360 wtq at the moment.

Also, the flywheel is for the tsi. It's just a stock replacement DM flywheel. Not that the flywheel has much bearing on how much a clutch can hold.

Also, for clarity, the modifications were a few holes drilled into the side so that the PP can be located properly onto the flywheel. It's not a mod to help the thing grab, by any means.

butchered by autocorrecr

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
This^ Im amazed how many people dont know about this kit. Its the best kit for the car and they are an OEM supplier. NO need for a kit pulled together that was not integrated for the GTi from the beginning. The Sachs kit is. Period.

im sure people know, but with a single mass flywheel the kits comes close to $1700. and imo, its silly to upgrade the disk+pp without upgrading to a single mass flywheel.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
im sure people know, but with a single mass flywheel the kits comes close to $1700. and imo, its silly to upgrade the disk+pp without upgrading to a single mass flywheel.

not really. Some people like myself have no problem sacrificing a small performance gain for a quiet DD. I just need a clutch setup that will hold k04 power, I really could care less about a reduction in rev hang. It has been shown the stock flywheel is not the issue with these clutches so I don't see a point in upgrading them unless you want the added performance, which i said before isn't for everyone.

Passed Driver's Ed
I emailed Nate@HSTuning and they have a 1 week turnaround on shipping the RSR as of right now. I'm 90% sure this is what I'm going with.

I know its expensive, but my main concerns are its ability to hold stg1-stg2 power and being relatively quiet and comfortable. This seems to be what I'm looking for.

HSTuning

Ready to race!
If what you're saying is correct, then they simply enlarged the 6 holes which the dowels on the flywheel pass through. That means anyone can easily purchase the PP and disc and save even more on their price. Thing is . . . Luk doesn't ship out the PPs with the SAC springs extended out like that. They also recommend that the SAC is reset prior to install, but HSTuning specifically says that it's not a problem.

Dave

Dave, we've had this discussion with you before. Plain and simply, you do not know what you're talking about. You are presenting your speculation as facts in an attempt to mislead people. We did not reveal what components we are using because it is completely within our right to protect our intellectual property and our R&D. I assure you, our kit is not simply a modified FSI unit. It has been proven, time and time again to hold well above the power levels that the stock FSI/TSI clutches are holding.

Additionally, the modern SAC pressure plates do not require resetting or a lock tool prior to installation. The earlier SAC I did require this, LuK's current SAC II does not. If you don't believe me, ask our customers who have installed them if they had any issue with the self adjuster. Order a new LuK pressure plate for any VW application. It won't come with a locking ring. The fingers on the pressure plate will look very similar to the one in our kit. Call a VW dealership. Ask for a technician. Ask them about resetting the pressure plates. They won't know what you're talking about, because they've never had to do it.

Please, stop spreading this misinformation. You've never even seen one of these clutches in person, let alone held one in your hands or driven a car with one. You're simply stating your opinion on your perception based on one press release photo, and you're presenting that opinion as fact.

If you don't have anything better to do than troll these threads, talking down our products, then have at it. I do have better things to do than argue with you all day, so I'm not going to keep up the fight. Anybody who has any questions about our RSR clutch, feel free to contact us directly, by phone or by email. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Wait a second, is this the guy that rambled on for pages in the product release thread??