GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shifting into 1st, 3rd or 5th is drama

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
:mad0259::mad0259:

so, had my clutch replaced under warranty.... they did the main bearing (throw out bearing) and resurfaced the flywheel.. .they bolted it back up. .

It was good times :D for the first couple of days.. loved it.. and then...:paddle:effin draaaaaaaaaaaaaama. I'm talking Johnny Drama drama.

Some mornings or on a cold start day i can't put it in gear. Clutch down, i cant move the lever into 1st or reverse. its like there's a wall. I'd have to put it into 3rd gear or rock the car for it to slide in..

then while driving.. shifting into 3rd or 5th doesn't matter if its an upshift or downshift .. i sometimes have to dbl shift to get it into gear!!

I've taken in back to the dealer that installed it 2x.. they've found no issues... so they say.. this is a real pain. I think either the shifting forks are the issue or the tranny slipped and something is out of alignment..

anyone have this kind of issues before?? I need advice from the collective!!! PLEASE!!!

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
Go to a different dealer, dude.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
how did you get a clutch replaced under warranty?

Also, what this guy said. Do you know how to drive a standard? And your car is 4 years old. Clutch warranty is 12000 miles/1 year. Something doesn't add up on your end.

BS2H

Ready to race!
Also, what this guy said. Do you know how to drive a standard? And your car is 4 years old. Clutch warranty is 12000 miles/1 year. Something doesn't add up on your end.

I got my throw out bearing and clutch assembly replaced at 30,000 miles because I started getting the squeal when it was cold.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

WOW...:dnftt:

anyhow... it was replaced under TSB 2028783, clutch squeal.

powertrain doesn't cover the clutch however i appreciate your knowledge, this is a Canadian warranty. Will try a diff dealer however i expect the ones who repaired it to correct it.. should be a matter of pride :iono:

so, back to my original inquiry --- anyone have experience with this?

EMaster24

Ready to race!
sounds like they didn't do something quite right. when you said the dealer "found no issues" do you mean they couldn't replicate it or they said it was normal behavior?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
sounds like they didn't do something quite right. when you said the dealer "found no issues" do you mean they couldn't replicate it or they said it was normal behavior?

yep, sorry for not being clear.. first the mechanic who did the work then the supervisor took it out for a ride when I complained of the issue. Of course the engine/components are now warmed up and it shifted to their liking.

But when your doing a buck forty on the 401 and you're trying to downshift into 5th and it gets stuck it leaves a lot to be desired. Or when you're trying to leave a ricer behind and can't shift into 3rd...:mad: and he runs by you... sigh..

trying to leave it with them overnight so they can try it in the AM when it settles.. and usually doesn't let you into gear on 1st try.

Shift forks? :confused:

EMaster24

Ready to race!
yep, sorry for not being clear.. first the mechanic who did the work then the supervisor took it out for a ride when I complained of the issue. Of course the engine/components are now warmed up and it shifted to their liking.

But when your doing a buck forty on the 401 and you're trying to downshift into 5th and it gets stuck it leaves a lot to be desired. Or when you're trying to leave a ricer behind and can't shift into 3rd...:mad: and he runs by you... sigh..

trying to leave it with them overnight so they can try it in the AM when it settles.. and usually doesn't let you into gear on 1st try.

Shift forks? :confused:

gotcha. sounds like leaving it overnight so they can see it cold is the best bet. I could be wrong, but I don't think shift forks are temperature dependent.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
I like how you accuse me of trolling for asking some obvious questions to a thread you posted wanting feedback on your situation. Just because you didn't like what I said, does in no way make me a troll.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
If I hurt your feelings in anyway.... You didn't provide feedback only smartass remarks.

you stated that its a 4 yr old car.. then asked if I know how to drive stick...seriously, you don't think you sound like a troll?

I played it off.. you should too. no biggie. We Vee-Dubbers can take it :w00t:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
It sounds like the clutch does not fully disengage. Probably a faulty slave cylinder.

hmmm, i didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice. Brakes work but will check for leaks.. .i think its on the outside that i should be able to check when i have it on the hoist..

Weirdest part is when rpms are high there is definate feedback in the clutch pedal. Like a vibration when I depress the pedal, just before the shift

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
It sounds like the clutch does not fully disengage. Probably a faulty slave cylinder.

Yes, I could see that. Had a very similar situation years ago, although it was with my old Honda Accord stick. Hard as hell to shift thru some gears, though it wouldn't do it all the time. Turned out it WAS the slave cylinder.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
:mad0259::mad0259:

so, had my clutch replaced under warranty.... they did the main bearing (throw out bearing) and resurfaced the flywheel.. .they bolted it back up. .

It was good times :D for the first couple of days.. loved it.. and then...:paddle:effin draaaaaaaaaaaaaama. I'm talking Johnny Drama drama.

Some mornings or on a cold start day i can't put it in gear. Clutch down, i cant move the lever into 1st or reverse. its like there's a wall. I'd have to put it into 3rd gear or rock the car for it to slide in..

then while driving.. shifting into 3rd or 5th doesn't matter if its an upshift or downshift .. i sometimes have to dbl shift to get it into gear!!

I've taken in back to the dealer that installed it 2x.. they've found no issues... so they say.. this is a real pain. I think either the shifting forks are the issue or the tranny slipped and something is out of alignment..

anyone have this kind of issues before?? I need advice from the collective!!! PLEASE!!!