GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side Mount Front Plates?

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
hey guys! just got my brand spankin new MKVI today and i'm so happy to finally be dubbin!

anyways, i live in new jersey where front plates are mandatory but here's what i want to do. i ordered euro plates to cover the holes left by the factory LP frame. and i wanted to mount my state issued plates off to the side of the front bumper (without drilling through the bumper!!!)

has anyone here done this (i've seen it on plenty of GTI's)? and can you offer any advice on how i should pull it off? any special mounts or anything that i need?

thanks!

youGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
i kinda eyeballed it today, is the honeycomb part long enough to fit a plate without it chipping the paint on the bumper?

Hmmm...not too sure about that. I guess someone else can chime in on that or give it a go yourself.

I suppose you could always make a tow hook license plate holder yourself. Google turned up a couple of DIYs on this matter:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tech-how/170907-diy-tow-hook-plate-holder.html
http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/showthread.php/diy-tow-hook-license-plate-mount-11443.html?t=11443
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=666564

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
came up with the perfect solution today. i unscrewed the factory plate holder (that screws to the bumper and clips to the honeycomb grill) and moved it over to the bottom left of the grill. the clips fit on the bottom row of combs (instead of the top row like stock) and i ziptied the holes in the holder to the combs behind them.

i'll post pics soon. probably on monday when i actually get my state plates.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Looking forward to seeing your solution. Listened to your track, sounds good, i have been playing music and have a small recording studio in the house, mostly jazz since the '50's. I generally record the rhythm track, and chords/accompaniment and then the melody/improvise. I have used Band in a Box, playing is fun/enjoyable, recording is work.

cleanmk5

Go Kart Champion
Just don't have a front plate ive never had a front plate on any of my cars and it is also the law here to. So far no problems

zecpull1

Ready to race!
I agree the Clips Work..and No Screws in mine.. my Dealer left it off..and I was happy so I have No Holes either.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
came up with the perfect solution today. i unscrewed the factory plate holder (that screws to the bumper and clips to the honeycomb grill) and moved it over to the bottom left of the grill. the clips fit on the bottom row of combs (instead of the top row like stock) and i ziptied the holes in the holder to the combs behind them.

i'll post pics soon. probably on monday when i actually get my state plates.

OK, thanks for the hint, i used your idea and this is what i did:

I hadn't mounted my plate to the front so the VW holder was still in the plastic in the trunk.

1. Take the VW plastic mounting and turn it upside down, (i mounted mine in the center of the honey comb). I put a few of those small felt pads on the rim of the plate frame where i thought it might make contact with the bumper.

2. Hanz must have engineered this waiting for someone to figure this out, the diamond shaped protrusion on the back of the frame (remember it is upside down now) fits perfectly in the honeycomb slot, and the two bracket holder now clip over the flat part of the honeycomb that they align with, it almost snaps in, like a perfect, almost, fit. the bottom of the holder is now horizontally aligned with the bottom bead of the honeycomb grill (just above it) you should go thru this step for a dry fit.

3. Then i carefully removed the VW plastic frame took my license plate and mounted them on the bottom with clear/white opaque tie wraps (not to cheesy) make sure you rotate the tie buckle down in the hole so it does not hinder mounting the plate flush.

4 I drilled holes in the VW plastic for the top mounting tie wraps where the screws would go thru the plate.

5. I took long white tie wraps and placed them thru the 5th hole from either side (this is the first completely open row of holes from the top of the honeycomb) to line up with the location of the holes in the license plate, actually this hole is just to the left and right of the plate holder.

6. Threaded them from their position in the honeycomb thru the grill and then thru back of the plate, thus securing the holder and plate with the tie.

7. Pushed the tie over to the edge (reduce the cheese) and trimmed it off.

I know i should publish a picture, but i am not sure how to obscure my plate number, when i get a minute i will try to figure that out and post a picture.

The instructions are pretty good and once you start doing it, it becomes obvious. DJ or someone mentioned turning the holder upside down, that was key to this working very nicely (the narrow part of the holder is now on the top) . This will give you the plate mounted in the center of the honeycomb, just barely 3/8 of an inch on the front bumper, ie the felt pads just as a precaution.

:)

Is this the best solution, certainly not, but it is secure, legal and looks pretty good with out drilling anything into the car. Total cost about 3 or 4 dollars, a couple of felt pads and tie wraps.

A couple of quick pics to give you a better idea. I choose the white tie wraps because the plate is basically white and it didn't interfere with the month and year decals.

Last edited:

chucktaylor0109

Ready to race!
OK, thanks for the hint, i used your idea and this is what i did:

I hadn't mounted my plate to the front so the VW holder was still in the plastic in the trunk.

1. Take the VW plastic mounting and turn it upside down, (i mounted mine in the center of the honey comb). I put a few of those small felt pads on the rim of the plate frame where i thought it might make contact with the bumper.

2. Hanz must have engineered this waiting for someone to figure this out, the diamond shaped protrusion on the back of the frame (remember it is upside down now) fits perfectly in the honeycomb slot, and the two bracket holder now clip over the flat part of the honeycomb that they align with, it almost snaps in, like a perfect, almost fit. the bottom of the holder is now horizontally aligned with the bottom bead of the honeycomb grill (just above it) you should go thru this step for a dry fit.

3. Then i carefully removed the VW plastic frame took my license plate and mounted them on the bottom with clear/white opaque tie wraps (not to cheesy) make sure you rotate the tie buckle down in the hole so it does not hinder mounting the plate flush.

4 I drilled holes in the VW plastic for the top mounting tie wraps where the screws would go thru the plate.

5. I took long white tie wraps and placed them thru the 5th hole from either side to line up with the location of the holes in the license plate, actually this hole is just to the left and right of the plate holder.

6. Threaded them from their position in the honeycomb thru the back of the plate, thus securing the holder and plate with the tie.

7. Pushed the tie over to the edge (reduce the cheese) and trimmed it off.

I know i should publish a picture, but i am not sure how to obscure my plate number, when i get a minute i will try to figure that out and post a picture.

The instructions are pretty good and once you start doing it, it becomes obvious. DJ or someone mentioned turning the holder upside down, that was key to this working very nicely. This will give you the plate mounted in the center of the honeycomb, just barely 3/8 of an inch on the front bumper, ie the felt pads just as a precaution. :)

any pics? seems legit.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Pictures posted, above. Center mount.

itgvw

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly this seems like a good temporary fixed for not having the bumper drilled, but imo it looks worse than if it were on the bumper itself cause its blocking the grill completely, plus it also blocks air from coming into the radiator.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Actually, for my taste no plate is the best, and if i decide to keep the plate on, i will probably replace the ties to black ones, i drove it around running errands today, all local or city type driving and it stayed secure, it was warm today, 93 and the temperature gauge, which i have never seen go passed 12 o'clock stayed that way today as well with no fans running after parking in the garage. But other than no plate at all the location for me, looks the best, my photo's don't do it justice. But at least we know it can be done in an hour for 3 or 4 dollars. (and i had the tie wraps and felt pads in my drawer on the work bench.) :)

Last edited:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Forget all the steps that i posted above, this would only be needed if you wanted to use the plate mounting device.

But easier and more secure, just tie wrap it, but i did place six oval shaped furniture pads to the back of the plate to prevent and contact with the grill or bumper etc.

30 minutes, oval floor protection pads, and 4 tie wraps, easy on and off.