GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smog in CA and k04

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I wonder how Ko4 tunes will pass now with smog stations also checking the ECU software in socal now.

In the past I’ve passed smog by switching my APR ko4 tune to the stock boost levels and emissions readiness while using spacers in my high flow downpipe.

However looking at the APR website it’s only the stage 1 ko3 tune that has a carb number. Doesn’t mention if their KO4 tune at stock boost levels will identify on the Smog computer as their stage 1 KO3 tune.

Thinking further about it, even if the tune registers on the smog computer as a stage 1 ko4 tune, that carb number will likely only match Golf R’s so it still won’t pass.

Maybe it’s time to just give up the Ko4 and reinstall my stock KO3 turbo and just swap between Stage 1 and Stage 2:(
Sadly, thats what I'm going to do. Just sell the K04 revert back to APR Stage 1, probably won't bother with Stage 2, having to keep reflashing.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Sadly, thats what I'm going to do. Just sell the K04 revert back to APR Stage 1, probably won't bother with Stage 2, having to keep reflashing.
You could always flash back to stock for the test and leave the K04. It will run fine as long as you don’t beat on it.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah if you just drove it to the test and back and stay out of boost you would be fine.

Gino

Ready to race!
Quick reboot for this thread. I have smog coming up. From what I recall reading, cali smog now test for approved tunes. Anyone this year do a smog with a stratified tune with emissions on? Or am I basically forced to tune to stage 0 or unmarry the AP before smog? Currently im green on all readiness, but I am tuned. I'd love to drive right into a smog station, but I want to see if anyones rolled into one and still had a tune. Thanks!

postbox

Quick reboot for this thread. I have smog coming up. From what I recall reading, cali smog now test for approved tunes. Anyone this year do a smog with a stratified tune with emissions on? Or am I basically forced to tune to stage 0 or unmarry the AP before smog? Currently im green on all readiness, but I am tuned. I'd love to drive right into a smog station, but I want to see if anyones rolled into one and still had a tune. Thanks!
Guess you will find out soon enough. Just go to the shop with free retest?
Personally I doubt that the new system (which is about one year old at this point) and ECU software DB it uses is super accurate and reliable.

Yeah I need to see if what the cost is to flash it every 2 years.
Last time I went in for the APR tune update it was $100 or $150 for labor. NorCal.
I also have the 034motorsports cable which can (theoretically) flash my ECU back to stock or their tune.
But of course not back to APR 1+ I'm currently on.

Yeah, mine is not K04 but I don't think it matters much for this discussion.

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
The Cobb base tune is CARB (EO: D-660-37) approved Get the sticker they sent me mine. At least you would appear to be legit even with stratified

They still don't know if it's tuned IMHO my MK5 no problems on unironic stage 1 unless the dude at a test only didn't care which I doubt. Smog'd it recently maybe 3 months. If it passes readiness, I think all is still good.

Last edited: