GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smoking / Zero Compression on cyl 1

aphawthorne

2013 Gti 83,000 miles
Title pretty much says it all.
Car went from driving totally fine to hardly running and smoking.
I did the obvious things first after learning of the cylinder 1 misfire.
Plugs & coil packs.
After those failed to fix anything I moved onto compression testing and found that there was no compression what so ever in the first cylinder.
So my question is, is it more likely that I've got a stuck open or burnt valve from carbon buildup? Or bad rings?
Any insight is appreciated when I wake up tomorrow I'm going to pull off the intake manifold and see if there's anything going on with the intake valves.
TYIA

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Sorry to hear that. I'd imagine even if you had bad rings you'd still be getting some compression in the cyl and not zero. See if you can get a shop to run a leakdown test because it can closer pinpoint to where you're losing compression. Either way though its going to be a major repair.

aphawthorne

Sorry to hear that. I'd imagine even if you had bad rings you'd still be getting some compression in the cyl and not zero. See if you can get a shop to run a leakdown test because it can closer pinpoint to where you're losing compression. Either way though its going to be a major repair.
Thanks man. I've got a buddy stopping by tomorrow with a leakdown kit. We'll see what happens.

aphawthorne

Yea hopefully it's not too bad. If you truly have zero, I'd be ok with just a bent valve
Yeah i looked down into the cylinder again today> I didnt see any marking that would indicate a valve hitting. Pulled the valve cover off and the heads coming off tomorrow. We will see. Fingers crossed its a valve and not rings..

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Watching closely

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yeah i looked down into the cylinder again today> I didnt see any marking that would indicate a valve hitting. Pulled the valve cover off and the heads coming off tomorrow. We will see. Fingers crossed its a valve and not rings..

Nothing suspect looking about the valves and springs?

aphawthorne

Nothing suspect looking about the valves and springs?
Nothing on the intake side.. All the springs seemed in tact. I'm doing all of this in the mornings before going to work so I have to go kind of slow. Hoping to get the timing chain and cams off tomorrow and then the head off on friday.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Ill get some pictures tomorrow. You having a similar issue?
No, sorry. Just very interested. These motors are pretty stout, internally so it's rare to see a detailed thread about bad rings or rod bearings etc

I hope you resolve your problem with minimum cost out of pocket.

aphawthorne

No, sorry. Just very interested. These motors are pretty stout, internally so it's rare to see a detailed thread about bad rings or rod bearings etc

I hope you resolve your problem with minimum cost out of pocket.
Yeah man that's what i thought too. REALLY hoping its not rings but I really have never read anything about these losing rings.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yeah man that's what i thought too. REALLY hoping its not rings but I really have never read anything about these losing rings.

If you had lower than normal compression(not zero) due to ring seal, you could shoot some oil into the cylinder and retest. The oil will make the compression number go up if it's ring seal.

aphawthorne

If you had lower than normal compression(not zero) due to ring seal, you could shoot some oil into the cylinder and retest. The oil will make the compression number go up if it's ring seal.
I mean it was like 3psi when I tested it once and 0 the other 2 times. If it wasn't already apart I'd give that a go.