GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So... I got a Mazda.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Check the lower & upper shift boot and replace if torn. If it is torn, it can let exhaust gases into the cabin. While you're in there replace the gear oil(you only need like 3oz). I had a 1990 MX-5 that I fixed up and sold for twice what I bought it for. I had it for 6 months and it was a blast. No power steering is fun, haha.
Got it, what kind of gear oil do you recommend?

adolan21

Ready to race!
Got it, what kind of gear oil do you recommend?

I think I used Redline MTL in mine and also used it in the transmission as well. But I think you can use anything in the "shift turret" since it doesn't get hot or mashed up. For differential oil I think used Redline MT-90. Get on miata.net, there's such a wealth of information on there. The best part about the car ownership experience is the awesome forum. So many DIY's.

Here is a good thread on it: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=293329

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I think I used Redline MTL in mine and also used it in the transmission as well. But I think you can use anything in the "shift turret" since it doesn't get hot or mashed up. For differential oil I think used Redline MT-90. Get on miata.net, there's such a wealth of information on there. The best part about the car ownership experience is the awesome forum. So many DIY's.

Ok thanks for the tip, I think mine is a vLSD so I don't think I can change the diff oil.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
So it's been long since I created this post... so I thought I do a little update since I saw another member here got an miata too...

So one of the first mod that I've done was the NB miata steering and shift knob. The previous honda-look-alike shift knob that I got made the shifter taller so I swap to the NB one. It looks nice and blends with the cabin.

Then it was time to do some performance upgrades, First is the Flyin' Miata Sway bars. The sway bar did its job but there was still some body roll, so suspension next! Tokico Blue and ebay Manzo springs. I took my chances with the ebay manzo springs, but it turns out its better than what I expected.

The claimed 0.9" drop all round... so they are not lying there...
Up = after
down = before.

Next...this happened few months ago.... Apparently, someone got in and try to steal something... but I have nothing in my car lol...

few weeks ago... finally done this. Just to prepare for winter... because the top started to leak at the rear window...

My friend came back from Hong Kong and he bought me this.. Mazdaspeed Strut tower bar.

I also change out the header to raceland header but i dont have a pic for it.

Thats it for now... I will change the tranny fluid the next few days.... and might snap a few pics later...
hope you guys enjoyed the long updates lol

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Check the lower & upper shift boot and replace if torn. If it is torn, it can let exhaust gases into the cabin. While you're in there replace the gear oil(you only need like 3oz). I had a 1990 MX-5 that I fixed up and sold for twice what I bought it for. I had it for 6 months and it was a blast. No power steering is fun, haha.

:word: It made a big difference when I swapped the boots (I had a '91 and a MK6 GTI for quite some time). It made it cooler, quieter and less smelly inside! I bet yours are worn if you haven't replaced them.

The forum definitely has a lot of knowledge.

Ok thanks for the tip, I think mine is a vLSD so I don't think I can change the diff oil.

The vLSD is likely shot, they're only good for about 50k miles before they just act like an open diff. Still tons of fun though!

Also, pro tip: always leave the Miata unlocked, and leave nothing in there. Better to have someone open the doors and look through your car than cut the roof.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
:word: It made a big difference when I swapped the boots (I had a '91 and a MK6 GTI for quite some time). It made it cooler, quieter and less smelly inside! I bet yours are worn if you haven't replaced them.

The forum definitely has a lot of knowledge.

The vLSD is likely shot, they're only good for about 50k miles before they just act like an open diff. Still tons of fun though!

Also, pro tip: always leave the Miata unlocked, and leave nothing in there. Better to have someone open the doors and look through your car than cut the roof.

Thanks for all the knowledge lol I forgot the small updates ...
I already done the shift boot rebuild, it made a difference in terms of the smell and the feel of the shifter. Also changed the diff oil and tranny oil, again huge improvement. Not more hard 1st gear.
Now about parking, what I do now is just open the glove box and armrest and lock the doors so people can see that I have nth in the car. I'm still thinking if I should leave the car unlock or not since I'm scared people can find a way to steal the car, or crash it by releasing the handbrake..... etc

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I had the car for two years and never once locked it, never had a problem, these aren't thief magnets like Hondas. Still though, you're in a bigger city with more crime and homeless, so that's a tough call.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I had the car for two years and never once locked it, never had a problem, these aren't thief magnets like Hondas. Still though, you're in a bigger city with more crime and homeless, so that's a tough call.

Yeah I probably will just leave the glove box open. Did you have the 1.6 or 1.8?
I want to make a little more HP but dont want to break the bank, I only got header as of now, will an intake make much difference like GTI?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
sexual.

JDM FTW.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I probably will just leave the glove box open. Did you have the 1.6 or 1.8?
I want to make a little more HP but dont want to break the bank, I only got header as of now, will an intake make much difference like GTI?

I had the 1.6, I just dealt with the slowness :lol:

Not much can really be done to make power other than forced induction... or an LS swap :dnftt:

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
sexual.

JDM FTW.

track day bro?

I had the 1.6, I just dealt with the slowness :lol:

Not much can really be done to make power other than forced induction... or an LS swap :dnftt:

:lol: I was thinking about to do a cheap ass illegal ebay/CXracing turbo build... but then that almost $1k pulled me off since a used legit kit is around that price... but I can use $1k to get the turbo for GTI already.... so I guess you are right... just deal with the slowness.... lol dat 1st gear pull from every stop...:yikes: