GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(Some) APR / (but mostly) BFI Nightmare!!

ksgarcia1

Ready to race!
(Some) APR / (but mostly) BFI Nightmare!!***Resolved***

edit: The title, for the sake of clarity

Where to begin... I guess I'll give the whole story.

Back in October I purchased the APR stage 1 tune for my 2010 VW GTI and had it installed at Black Forest Industries. Unfortunately, within a few miles of driving the car I had a check engine light appear. I brought the car back to BFI and was told the error was related to the cam timing, and I was instructed to head to the dealership in order to get the problem resolved.

A few weeks later, I had the entire camshaft adjuster replaced, yet the warning light persisted. After a little more probing and investigation, the dealership had come to the conclusion that the ECU could be at fault. The dealership asked me if I had any tuning done to the car, to which I replied yes. The dealership, being familiar with BFI, suggested that I bring the car back to them - as the problem seems to be tuning-related - or pay out of pocket for a replacement ECU.

I was getting a little tired at this point, but I decided to call up BFI. They informed me that there was no way this problem was tune related, but they offered to look at the car one last time.

Nothing was resolved with that visit, but I did have the car re-flashed back to stock. Still, the check-engine light persisted. BFI suggested that I try bringing the car to another dealership. Sounded like another dead-end to me, but I started up the whole process again with another dealership.

I suspected that something may have gone wrong during the installation, but BFI would hear nothing of it. Despite that, I do have to credit them for being so polite through the whole process.

APR on the other hand, oh APR...I tried to talk to APR about the possibility of an installation related problem, but they refused to even consider the possibility that my problem stemmed from the ECU. Actually, they seemed rude about the whole thing.

So, its March. Now my car has been at this other dealership for a month now. They eventually found out about the tune from the first dealership, but they decided to keep trying hardware-related fixes. Several items were replaced including oil delivery parts and even one of the camshafts. No luck.

The dealership brought in a VW engineer who decided to check the ECU. He pulled the unit and found that the unit appeared damaged and was apparently pretty banged up. Of course, now the dealer is looking at the ECU as the culprit. They tried swapping out units with another GTI - and sure enough - no CEL. Now, it looks like the dealership is trying to screw me over for the previous work done, the cost of a new ECU, and the cost of the loaner car. Great.

This could have all been avoided had APR or BFI tried to actively diagnose my problem instead of ignoring me. Not sure how this whole thing is going to work out now.

So, what have I learned from this whole process?

- THESE TUNES AND THEIR INSTALLATION ARE NEVER PERFECT. Even from a reputed installer like BFI.
- DO NOT GET A TUNE.
- DO NOT TRUST APR TO HAVE YOUR BACK IF THINGS GO WRONG.
- DO NOT GET A TUNE.

For the curious, these were my codes. The car seemed to run fine despite them.

Error codes:
1) 0010 P000A 000 - "A" Camshaft Position Slow Response (Bank 1)

2) 01322 P052A 000 - Cold Start "A" Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced

Any opinions guys? Just trying to bring some awareness here, I hope this never has to happen to anyone else. I am kind of hoping this post will 'finally' get APR's attention.

EDIT: Not trying to completely dump on APR here, their tune is gold. However, I definitely would have appreciated more effort from APR on trying to resolve the problem.

Last edited:

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
for every 1 horror story with tunes, there are over 100 positive ones.. sounds like BFI fucked up your ECU, didnt say anything cuz that would be $ outta their pocket, and they were quick to point you in other directions.. 99% of people with APR will say their customer service is outstanding, after all you pay that extra $ to have great service. and they definitely dont fall short of that.

APR is not the one to be blaming for all this at all. how are they responsible for a "banged up ECU" when they were the ones who personally did the tune. it was BFI.

mk6fan

Ready to race!
If BFI did the tune then I'm curious as to why you think APR is some how at fault.

I'm thinking you should change the thread title to BFI nightmare.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Wow, that sucks....maybe APR or BFI will chime in on this thread?

ksgarcia1

Ready to race!
I think BFI owes you a new ECU, don't see how APR is at fault.

I totally agree, APR is definitely less at fault here. I just wish they would have supported me a little more, maybe offered to look at the ECU in order to convince BFI/verify that the problem stemmed from the installation.

Not trying to slam APR here. When the tune worked, it was great.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
After months of asking BFI couldn't even manage to come up with pictures of their rear sway bar installed on a car, I certainly wouldn't trust them to disassemble the ECU.

But all things considered... shit happens. It sucks but it's a risk you take when you tell someone to open your ecu and flash it.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not condoning them turning their back, they should absolutely back their work.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The dealership brought in a VW engineer who decided to check the ECU. He pulled the unit and found that the unit appeared damaged and was apparently pretty banged up. Of course, now the dealer is looking at the ECU as the culprit. They tried swapping out units with another GTI - and sure enough - no CEL. Now, it looks like the dealership is trying to screw me over for the previous work done, the cost of a new ECU, and the cost of the loaner car. Great.

Um, dude, how do you figure the dealership is "screwing" you on charging to replace a part damaged by the tuner you went to and for all the work they did trying to correct a problem was caused by that same tuner??

It's odd that APR told you they couldn't/wouldn't help. All I ever see is stories about APR contacting a tuner to work out an issue.

It totally sucks what happened, but seriously, to say that no one should ever tune....little over the top.

BeauG

Ready to race!
I'm sure Arin will be in here at some point, but you should probably contact him directly and explain the situation. From what I've heard some of the "generic" customer service reps at APR have a habit of making people's issues feel unwelcome, but Arin has always seemed to jump at the opportunity to set things straight for people.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
BFI screwed up, and being a distributor, installer etc for APR; APR should have stepped up and have gotten involved to support you. BFI needs training and integrity.

Your right one bad tune, 99 good tunes, so what does that mean if your the 1 in a 100, there off the hook because of that ratio.

Every few months another horror story. And for what really.

Jeopardize your warranty, stress up the ying yang, inconvenience no new car to drive, but payments continue, no rental.

don't bother listing the pro's of a tune, the warranty issues, the stress, inconvenience of not having your car etc. and half baked installers that screw up and don't fess up are the only cons I need.

Sorry but companies/people that don't take responsibility for f**king up piss me off. sorry for the rant.

misaka

Ready to race!
Yeah sounds like you got screwed by the installer. That's why I ended up paying 100$ more to get my tune done at a good VW dealership. Then I could blame them if they screwed up the ECU.

VINNY1

Ready to race!
APR has very little fault in this. The installer fucked up the ECU, they should be held liable.
Than again, APR should follow up on the situation, and perhaps stop using BFI as an authorized APR dealer/distributor, till the technitions are properly trained.
Also, Ksgarcia, let everyone in your local VW/GTI/tuning community know that BFI can't be trusted. Your getting fucked, fuck em back!:paddle:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Bash BFI. It's all about the installer. I'd probably get a lawyer and threaten to sue them. Apr did nothing wrong here.