GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark plug\coils

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Also FYI for people local to Ontario that don't already have a tune- I contacted Park Auto Motorsports when I first moved here, they do a custom tune for $400, as well as dyno time for $150/hr. Chose not to go for Park Auto due to little to no feedback on forums.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
To be totally honest besides the bling from the "red tops" and if your car is in good shape (plugs at spec and no vacuum leaks) I believe the regular "black top" coils work just as well on the VW 2.5, if I was on a budget I wouldn't sweat it and get the regular Bosch ones.

IMO the only real R8 Red Top Coils are the VW/Audi ones, the Bosch Red Tops that are out there are most likely the regular black coils with a red casing, they are manufactured in the same plant, no?

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
To be totally honest besides the bling from the "red tops" and if your car is in good shape (plugs at spec and no vacuum leaks) I believe the regular "black top" coils work just as well on the VW 2.5, if I was on a budget I wouldn't sweat it and get the regular Bosch ones.

IMO the only real R8 Red Top Coils are the VW/Audi ones, the Bosch Red Tops that are out there are most likely the regular black coils with a red casing, they are manufactured in the same plant, no?

Yea the Bosch red top are the same as the normal one. A Bosch set is about ~150$ and a R8 (06E905115F) sets cost ~200$

R8 coils aren't needed for our engine since it's a low compression engine. But for 50$ in price difference, you get a good looking coilpack with a higher secondary circuit resistance allowing higher voltage supply.

In my case, for turbo application, I prefer to spend that extra 50$ and keep a good spark instead of having to reduce the spark plug gap considerably