GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speaker upgrade with stock head unit

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I still haven't figured out which one I have. To be honest, stereo stuff is kind of low on my list. I just installed dampers/springs and im getting those dialed in and then I also have a few parts on the shelf waiting to get installed. I also am getting parts together for more power so I have a lot going on with the build. What is an easy way to find out?

Just compare photos online. Google RCD 310 and RCD 510, they are very easy to tell apart. If you have the 310, you'll never get great sound until you replace it.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Just compare photos online. Google RCD 310 and RCD 510, they are very easy to tell apart. If you have the 310, you'll never get great sound until you replace it.

Thanks for the tip! I have the 510 in that case. So I guess I'm doing ok in that way but sounds to me I need to find a good replacement.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the tip! I have the 510 in that case. So I guess I'm doing ok in that way but sounds to me I need to find a good replacement.

The 510 is better than the 310 (as far as I've read). You can use vagcom to defeat the processing that's going on in it, and send a clean, flat signal to whatever processor or amp you decide to use. Even then, an aftermarket deck will be a huge improvement, if you're willing to lose the OEM look.