GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedo and Cruise about 1 MPH off.

jjh

cant beleive this is a surprise to anyone. taking it to vw and complaing is a complete waste of time....if you like to find things wrong with the car, compare the 'average mpg' with actuals...that'll get you excited...

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
It's not a big deal as long as you know about it - especially if actual speed is lower than indicated. If, however, you like to set your cruise at 10+ on the freeway, and LE sets their radar to 'pop' at 11+ or 12+, then suddenly that 1-2 MPH actual-over-indicated becomes a very big deal.

That's true. Never heard of anything like this actually happening.

Well that's a lie...

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Uhh.. 75?"

"NO! 76, you asshole! Step out of the car, you're going downtown"

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Uhh.. 75?"

"NO! 76, you asshole! Step out of the car, you're going downtown"

LOL

No, I don't suppose that's ever happened. FWIW tho, I'd just as soon fly below the radar at 10 over and not even get pulled over. If I'm unwittingly going 12 over because of the speedo inaccuracy, I'd not be real happy seeing the pretty blue lights flashing behind me. :D

In OH, they pretty much admit that they'll 'give' 10 over on the freeways. The points schedule is zero points for up to 10 over on any highway with a posted limit of 55 or more. 11 over gets you two points.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
In OH, they pretty much admit that they'll 'give' 10 over on the freeways. The points schedule is zero points for up to 10 over on any highway with a posted limit of 55 or more. 11 over gets you two points.

That would be a zinger. Could probably fight that though (you should fight any ticket anyways)

Antero128

Ready to race!
Crying about it won't fix it. An error of under 2% is perfectly acceptable. You could always trade for smaller wheels, or perhaps clean the sand out of your... umm...

Im not crying about it. I am taking it to my dealership and asking them to fix it when I go in for my 60 day check. I dont want smaller wheels and I dont want any error. I paid for a car with 18inch factory rims. I didnt pick up the car used or add any aftermarket rims. The car should show the right speed. I agree with you its not the biggest error and thats why I havent gone straight back to VW with the car. That doesnt change the fact that 3 different instruments are showing 3 different speeds. Should I also not complain about my leaking hatch washer or the water that gets into the car after a carwash? Get off VW's tit man. Its a great car but that doesnt mean it doesnt have its flaws.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
Im not crying about it. I am taking it to my dealership and asking them to fix it when I go in for my 60 day check. I dont want smaller wheels and I dont want any error. I paid for a car with 18inch factory rims. I didnt pick up the car used or add any aftermarket rims. The car should show the right speed. I agree with you its not the biggest error and thats why I havent gone straight back to VW with the car. That doesnt change the fact that 3 different instruments are showing 3 different speeds. Should I also not complain about my leaking hatch washer or the water that gets into the car after a carwash? Get off VW's tit man. Its a great car but that doesnt mean it doesnt have its flaws.

Sounds to me like you're crying about it. I just had my engine replaced for a defective oil system. I love tits, but I'm not on VW's.

onomatopoeia

Passed Driver's Ed
Speedometers are always off. Expecting perfect accuracy from an inherently inaccurate device is too much.
Police speedos are calibrated at regular intervals to keep accurate speed record. Unless you plan on following a similar maintenance schedule you should expect minor inaccuracies.

I wouldn't put much faith in GPS speed readings either. Civilian GPS just isn't accurate enough to do more than give it's best guess.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Speedometers are always off. Expecting perfect accuracy from an inherently inaccurate device is too much.
Police speedos are calibrated at regular intervals to keep accurate speed record. Unless you plan on following a similar maintenance schedule you should expect minor inaccuracies.

I wouldn't put much faith in GPS speed readings either. Civilian GPS just isn't accurate enough to do more than give it's best guess.

All I want is for the car to be in sync with the car. I don't care if my garmin gps says one thing and the car says 1mph difference. It bothers my that my speedo says one thing and my display says another. Shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!

Truth :thumbsup:

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
No surprised by this at all. Noticed it on my other cars too.

I think it is done on purpose. Show a faster than actual speed so the driver does not get pulled over for speeding and the mfg get blamed - sort of a fudge factor / safety net. I've noticed that the odometer is right on even though the speedo reads high.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
All I want is for the car to be in sync with the car. I don't care if my garmin gps says one thing and the car says 1mph difference. It bothers my that my speedo says one thing and my display says another. Shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Hahaha, dude... the car is in sync with the car. There is no fix. If there wasn't a fix for the MKV which was WAY more off than our cars, what makes you think they're going to fix your 1 mph. Want some cheese with your whine? I'm sorry your skittle had a more accurate speedometer than the GTI. It's not going to get fixed, and the only thing your whining will result in is some funny dinner table conversation. No one is going to take you seriously.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Hahaha, dude... the car is in sync with the car. There is no fix. If there wasn't a fix for the MKV which was WAY more off than our cars, what makes you think they're going to fix your 1 mph. Want some cheese with your whine? I'm sorry your skittle had a more accurate speedometer than the GTI. It's not going to get fixed, and the only thing your whining will result in is some funny dinner table conversation. No one is going to take you seriously.

Yea, my skittle, Mercedes, Caddie and Acura. They all have/had accurate speed. I guess I must be lucky to have had vehicles that didnt suffer from this problem. Anyways, I did some more research last night and my speedo seems to be acurrate with GPS. The display is showing up wrong. Varies about 2MPH lower at around 80MPH. Not a huge deal. I agree. :)

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
Yea, my skittle, Mercedes, Caddie and Acura. They all have/had accurate speed. I guess I must be lucky to have had vehicles that didnt suffer from this problem. Anyways, I did some more research last night and my speedo seems to be acurrate with GPS. The display is showing up wrong. Varies about 2MPH lower at around 80MPH. Not a huge deal. I agree. :)

Isn't that what the innernette's all about? :lol:
Seriously though, I used to be in your boat with the MKV. It was by far my biggest pet peeve, way more than the rattles or anything else. Having your speedometer constantly be a solid 10% was pretty frustrating. Mentioned it to the dealer a few times, but there wasn't a real fix. Some claimed to have success with some vag-com mods, but wasn't workin for everyone. Luckily for us they fixed the problem with the 6's. If the Mk6 was off by that much I probably would have purchased another car.