GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring/shock setup or Coilovers?

99bajakid

Ready to race!
I think my first "mod" will be to lower the car a bit. The GTI is my daily driver, but the streets here in Arizona are fairly well maintained, no potholes.

I've never put C/O's on a car before so i'm a little nervous about setting it up properly. I'd much rather go functionality over looks, which is why i'm posting in this part of the forum.

I have had experience with H&R springs before and they were really nice, firm but not uncomfortable.

What companies would you guys recommend for an occasional track driven car for a coil over setup? Same question for a cup kit, or shock/spring setup.

Rock Strongo1

Ready to race!
Budget's the main issue really. If you go with anything lower than H&R Sports or Driver Gear springs, you'll need matched struts. If you live in a state other than NJ, you'll want coilovers that cost more than $500. Good coilovers don't cost much more than a good set of springs and struts. For that reason alone I think they are worth it.

turbotrucka

Rig Stig
I'd say 95% of people who buy coilovers set the height once and never touch it again. The mk5/6 chassis doesn't need lowering to bring the car to life. A good set of Bilsteins or Konis plus some DG springs or Pro-Kit and you'll be good to go. If you say those aren't low enough for you, then stop lying to yourself about what you really want out of the car and slamitonfks.

99bajakid

Ready to race!
my budget is around 1-1.5k for this

staynhome29

Ready to race!
Go with ST Suspension or KW V1. Probably going to be the best riding coilovers in that price range. They are internally the same coilover. Just different body. Valving I believe is identical.

ST is about $500 cheaper as well. KW has stainless bodies so rust proof. Also KW has lifetime warranty.