GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 Intake Piping

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Okay, so this whole intake thing is a bit foreign to me in the sense of "stages." I searched the forums but couldn't find a straight answer to this.

When I owned my MKV, the FSI's P-flo intake was only one large piece that went from the filter to the turbo inlet. For the TSI, it's now a multiple piece pipe (?) that can go from the filter to MAF, then MAF to turbo inlet.

I noticed not all companies sell a full filter to turbo pipe. As of right now I have a Neuspeed intake and the stock turbo inlet. Does this Stage 2 pipe provide any benefit whatsoever? Since the intake system to the turbo is restricted by the diameter of the turbo inlet, what is the point of a 3" pipe? Also, even if upgrading to a K04, doesn't it have a similar, if not the same, inlet diameter?

I ask because I'm thinking about purchasing the Unitronic DV relocate in the future, and I know they have an option for the turbo inlet elbow to either be stock sized (costs more money) or a 3" inlet.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
From everything I've heard, the stage 2 intake piping makes no difference in performance, as the real restriction was in the filter and air delivery to the filter.

I like the look of the APR stage 2 pipe, and that's the only reason I keep it at this point. If I did it over again though, I'd take that $250 for the second half of the pipe (or however much it was) and put it into a W/M kit instead, or save it towards a new FMIC.

Not sure if that helps in any way...:lol:

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
It does help, as I won't dump money into a second intake I won't need/ offers no real benefit.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
It does help, as I won't dump money into a second intake I won't need/ offers no real benefit.

Here's this, not sure what his source is, but this is exactly what I was trying to convey to you.

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Friend of mine has a BSH stage 1&2 pipe, but I think they have revised the design since?

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
That's pretty much it. It might be a little louder too. And yes, k04 inlet is the same size as the IHI. The real benefit would come with a BT setup.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
That's pretty much it. It might be a little louder too. And yes, k04 inlet is the same size as the IHI. The real benefit would come with a BT setup.

I thought about mentioning that, I have noticed that too. Definitely get a more defined intake breathing sound, as well as a louder DV sound, and I do like it for those effects as well.

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
Just noticed you live in Federal Way. I grew up out there. I hear it's a pretty rough town these days.

My buddy's s15 was stolen right out of his driveway a couple years ago out there.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Friend of mine has a BSH stage 1&2 pipe, but I think they have revised the design since?

BSH revised their kit to 1 solid pipe ~3 years ago lol

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Just noticed you live in Federal Way. I grew up out there. I hear it's a pretty rough town these days.

My buddy's s15 was stolen right out of his driveway a couple years ago out there.

I grew up in Maple Valley/Hobart (out east 18 near the foothills) and it was a far cry from Federal Way, but most of the time I don't really notice it anymore.
Maple Valley was recently listed as one of the most desirable suburbs in the country (and one of the safest cities in WA), where as Federal Way is the 15th most dangerous city :bellyroll: :lol:

I had my chainsaw stolen out of my garage recently, while I was home none-the-less...I accidentally left the garage door open for about 30 minutes...such fail. Dude's lucky I didn't come out and find him doing it though, my 9 is on my hip at all times, and he'd have been made swiss cheese. Definitely not the best of cities, but I feel like it's getting better. Lot's of young people (myself included) have been purchasing all the houses that got foreclosed on in Federal Way, so it feels like a bit of a different vibe going on in my neighborhood since they are all people who generally couldn't afford before, but really want to make it and are working at improving the houses.

Rambling like crazy and way off topic...sorry haha

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
Maple Valley is nice. Myself and a friend that lived there would sneak out at night and blow up mail boxes with m80's. Gotta love having reservations nearby, lol. We literally don't have any here in Illinois.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Does this Stage 2 pipe provide any benefit whatsoever?

It looks better

Our testing concluded replacing the back part of the intake tract did little to nothing to increase power. The only increases that can come are from the added heat reflecting properties of Carbon Fiber. Unlike metal or plastic found in many after market intake systems and the oem system, carbon fiber heat soaks at a slower rate, meaning intake air stays cooler for a longer period of time. As for smoothing out the intake air flow, there simply are not any major restrictions or unnecessary bends to eliminate.

So, that being true, we have chosen not to charge customers extra for unnecessary parts. If you want cheap power, get stage 1. If you want it all (a hair more) with extra bling, go stage 2.

:thumbsup: