GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steel Shift Fork Discussion

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
So to clarify, a 2010 gti would have the steel forks, and al that would be needed is the brass sqs things. Is this correct?

Best bet would be to pull the shift tower out and use an inspection mirror to verify what's in there. Its kind of a bitch to reinstall but will be way simpler to do than pulling the tranny.

*****2.0t are you sure you have a steel 5-6 fork?
Mine had steel 1-2, 3-4, but 5-6 was still brass. There wasn't a p/n that I could find for a steel 5-6 shift fork. VW does like to change stuff up though.

My car is a 2010 with a April or may 2010 build date.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Funny thing, when I blew 3rd gear apart a few months ago I bought a used transmission to swap in. Before that, I had to swap my diff over. I found that one of the trans had a steel 1-2 fork only, and the other had a steel 5-6 only. Both had brass 3-4. So obviously, I used both of the steel ones but still have the brass 3-4. Crazy that some came with one or the other and some came with none. Really wonder if there was any point behind that or just material costs that made VW do that. Both O2Q's and both KZS codes. My car is an 11 manufactured in 8/10.

Edit: What's even funnier is I didn't even know they made a steel 5-6, but I definitely have one.

I'm guessing you didn't get the part # did you?? Mine is definitely not steel

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Best bet would be to pull the shift tower out and use an inspection mirror to verify what's in there. Its kind of a bitch to reinstall but will be way simpler to do than pulling the tranny.

*****2.0t are you sure you have a steel 5-6 fork?
Mine had steel 1-2, 3-4, but 5-6 was still brass. There wasn't a p/n that I could find for a steel 5-6 shift fork. VW does like to change stuff up though.

My car is a 2010 with a April or may 2010 build date.

That tower is an absolute bitch to get back in, that's for sure. And yes, I'm positive. I pondered over it for quite a while because I had never even seen one.

Man, I wonder what the pn is for the steel 5-6. No one sells it.

That's what confused me as well. Nobody has them. I do remember someone asking USP or whoever sells them and they said they didn't "make" one because those are usually your least hard shifts. I would definitely never buy them, but I had it so I used it.

I'm guessing you didn't get the part # did you?? Mine is definitely not steel

I did not. I had two O2Q's completely torn apart in a tiny room and had enough trouble trying to keep everything straight to put one of them back together. LOL. But they are definitely steel. I got a new phone, but I have pictures on my home computer that I took with my old phone. I'll try to upload them later this evening.

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
Doing some digging it looks like mid year 2009 the 5-6 shaft number changed:
Previous to mid year 09: 02M311562N
Current from midbyear 09 tocat least 2013: 02Q311562B

Can't find a picture of the later shaft. Earlier one is brass though.
Before blindly ordering check with your local parts department. I am just looking thru a euro parts catalog.

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
Might try contacting a forum member dopedpanda. I think he is Denmark maybe. Had lots of knowledge on the 02q from what remember. He might have seen one with all steel shafts.

Letus

Passed Driver's Ed

Here is my transmission, it's out of a MY2012 (with an early 2011 build date)

It definitely has bronze 5-6.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
I currently have my transmission apart putting in an MFactory LSD and noticed the plastic caps on 3rd and 4th gear selector is worn. going to replace the 1st and 2nd gear selector with the steel one and I want to put those brass slide ends on. I cant figure out how to order from SQSracing and found bar-tek makes some but only hear about the SQS ones. any input on this? Id need to 1st-6th gear selector slides.