GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange Noise

adolan21

Ready to race!
I've had this groan/grunt noise ever since I bought my 2010 GTI with 39K miles on it. It now has ~50.5k. It's coming from the passenger side, sounds like it's under the hood. I thought the water pump but I'm not sure where that's located and I thought the failure was usually a high pitched noise not this grunting noise I have. I would really appreciate anyone's help on this.

Video is below, listen carefully to the short "grunts"

UPDATE: I heard back from the owner of the video in my 2nd post below and he mentioned it was the water pump. I'm going to show the VW tech his video because the noise on my car only comes about maybe a third to half the time while I'm driving. This shows you that the failing water pump can make a different noise other than the high pitched whine. I'll update this thread when I get back from the dealership.

Update 2 9/11/14: Went to the dealer today because the noise is worse than ever. Of course when I get there it stops making the noise. I show the tech the video below and he mentioned it sounded like the crankcase breather. I had the PCV valve replaced at the same dealership not too long ago. Obviously I would rather have it be this than a water pump considering most people are on their 2nd, 3rd replacements. Unfortunately I will have to drop off my car another time since they couldn't give me a loaner and I needed my car for work. I will update this again once I have the car serviced.

Last edited:

adolan21

Ready to race!
Mine is really faint since I'm inside the car but you can hear it if you listen closely. Regardless, it sounds just like the second video I posted.

adolan21

Ready to race!
It does sound like a pump. It's definitely not a belt because the noise would be more frequent. To my knowledge, it doesn't increase when the revs increase. I really only hear it at idle. What pumps are on the left side (passenger side) of the engine? Water pump?