GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, looking for some opinions

Mac5280

2010 GTI 2.0, fairly standard, overall I love the car. I owned a 1M a lifetime ago and was amazed at how similar this car felt (for the money). But this is an issue of dollars and cents.

At 106k miles my wastegate has broken which means a new turbo. Along with that, I’ll need new tires next summer, my clutch is close to replacement, it’s starting to run rough (assume carbon cleaning needed), control arms are starting to go, and the radiator has a very small leak (top up every 3-4 months).

Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to do my own work anymore, so I have to go to a shop which will not install used or aftermarket products. Looking at all this work, it will cost more than 50% of the cars current value, there’s got to be at least 4-6k worth of work there, and that’s only the stuff I am aware of.

Does it make more sense to trade it in at this point instead of putting that much into it? Owning an older car is worth it when you’re able to do your own work, cuts the price significantly. I don't have an issue of affording the repairs, but trying to find the best route to give me the most value. Right now my best idea is to bulk all these repairs together, needed or not, and get a shop to give me some bulk pricing since the car will be apart. At that point I should be able to have a relatively worry free car for another 2-3 years.

Any left field ideas? Any Denver locals know any alternative routes? Appreciate it guys.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
The clutch isn’t much here’s the link for the clutch assuming your stock and don’t need an upgraded clutch

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...d,1445496,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

Radiator

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ocharged,1445496,cooling+system,radiator,2172

Control arm

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ocharged,1445496,suspension,control+arm,10401

I’m sure if you do it all at once the labor fee shouldn’t be much since they’re already going to be in there. I’m sure there’s performance shops in Denver that can help you out. Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
There is more than one shop in Denver.

There is no "value" in a used or new car. They are a depreciating asset at best. I keep and repair cars until there is no point to it. IE engine blows or trans craps out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Does it make more sense to trade it in at this point instead of putting that much into it?

Is it paid for? If not then after getting quotes see how much the total will be after you pay it off and fix it.

I think a shop could do all that work for cheaper then 6k. I was quoted $900 for clutch labor from a local dealer. You can get used turbos for a few hundred. Find a small independent shop they usually have the best rates.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
Or looking for trustworthy mechanic who works from home is always a great idea. Recently had a carbon cleaning, timing chain replacement and water pump replacement done for 650 bucks in Texas. It took a week and a half to get done, but the work was fantastic for the price.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
https://bwperformance.com/performance/vw-performance/

Google is your friend. Call up all the ones that are near you and see what they say..

No matter what.. do what feels right to you. Time/money/energy can suck the joy away from owning any kind of car. BUT.....when it's all said and done the joy derived from driving it after the work is done makes all those bad dreams go away.

Mac5280

There is more than one shop in Denver.

There is no "value" in a used or new car. They are a depreciating asset at best. I keep and repair cars until there is no point to it. IE engine blows or trans craps out.

Agreed, I guess when I say value I mean finding a way to minimize that depreciation. If it's going to cost me the same to maintain a car vs leasing a newer one, why bother with the older car. That being said, the math said the older car is still less costly, even with repairs.

Mac5280

Or looking for trustworthy mechanic who works from home is always a great idea. Recently had a carbon cleaning, timing chain replacement and water pump replacement done for 650 bucks in Texas. It took a week and a half to get done, but the work was fantastic for the price.

This is absolutely ideal, have been trying to find someone like this. Did you post in this forum to find the person?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
2010 GTI 2.0, fairly standard, overall I love the car. I owned a 1M a lifetime ago and was amazed at how similar this car felt (for the money). But this is an issue of dollars and cents.

At 106k miles my wastegate has broken which means a new turbo. Along with that, I’ll need new tires next summer, my clutch is close to replacement, it’s starting to run rough (assume carbon cleaning needed), control arms are starting to go, and the radiator has a very small leak (top up every 3-4 months).

Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to do my own work anymore, so I have to go to a shop which will not install used or aftermarket products. Looking at all this work, it will cost more than 50% of the cars current value, there’s got to be at least 4-6k worth of work there, and that’s only the stuff I am aware of.

Does it make more sense to trade it in at this point instead of putting that much into it? Owning an older car is worth it when you’re able to do your own work, cuts the price significantly. I don't have an issue of affording the repairs, but trying to find the best route to give me the most value. Right now my best idea is to bulk all these repairs together, needed or not, and get a shop to give me some bulk pricing since the car will be apart. At that point I should be able to have a relatively worry free car for another 2-3 years.

Any left field ideas? Any Denver locals know any alternative routes? Appreciate it guys.

You sound like me when I want a new car.

I will help you. At 106K miles you indeed have driven all the best miles out of the car and from this point forward the repairs will come more frequently and will be more expensive for as long as you own the car. Go shopping.

Others have presented the counterpoints and how to move forward and deal with the repairs as easily as possible.

UberFast

Ready to race!
You can definitely have that work done for cheaper than think. You'll just need to look around first. I'd do it for you if you were closer. I live in South Carolina though. I'm sure there is a local enthusiast/technician that can give you a hand. But, if you have your mind set on a new vehicle then trade her in and be happy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
If it's going to cost me the same to maintain a car vs leasing a newer one, why bother with the older car.

I've never seen the cost to repair a car even begin to equal the monthly cost of leasing a new one.

Leasing is a fools game. You pay money and at the end you have no value. With a paid off car you can drop some money on maintenance but it won't be the month in month out cost of a car payment or lease. Once you have say 400k on a car that math might change. But not 100k. You are not even close.