GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping an Audi Cigarette Lighter/12v Socket

cumbersnatch

5Q0919341 - iluminated socket - ca. 3 €

4H0919311 - plug Audi - ca. 7 €

Very nice. Not red but that would do the trick (all the dash lighting elements are white). Thanks

Any way to tell what vehicle this part belongs in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sar316

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone retrofitted this yet?

Looking at the part I'm wondering if it just pulls current from the 12V socket, which wouldn't work if it's constantly powered and wouldn't allow for dimming either.

Does this thing dim with the dash lights on <17 cars? If it does then I guess there's just the question of whether the wiring is there on 17/18's...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the confusion may be due to model year. You have a 2016 -- as do I -- and ours both have illuminated 12V outlets. If I'm remembering right, one of the cost-cutting measures going into the 2017 model year was non-illuminated 12V outlets. Is OP driving a 2017 by chance?

Yep, My 2015 was illuminated but my 2018 is not, both SEs probably just going to get the fancier cap since i never use that one. I have a USB power plug in the armrest one and use CarPlay to charge the phone.

eljay1

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't mind the basic plug that came with the car, but I agree that something red to complement the cabin detailing would be nicer...which is why I ordered one of these off eBay. :D

Attachments

• eject.jpg
    eject.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 802

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Thread from the dead

I'm about to buy the parts to install this in my 2017 GTI.

I have a quick question.

Does this require wiring, or does it pull voltage from the 12v socket?

If it pulls from the socket, I did the constant on socket "mod", I'm assuming that it would stay on even with the car off. I can un-do the "mod", honestly I rarely ever use the socket with the car off.

Thank you for the help.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
Where did you mount that?

Im curious if that would replace the whole SD card holder or coin holder or whatever that rectangular piece with the slots is next to the outlet, or if it wouldn't fit at all

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I swapped my GTI plugs for some Audi versions. Cheap $10ish upgrade. I like the first one better, and the 2nd usually is in the hatch or the center console.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I went a little different route cause I didn’t want to have an unsightly popped up adapter in the way for when passengers needed some juice

Attachments

• AF67A81E-1186-4FE3-9D88-5E788A30B4FB.jpeg
    AF67A81E-1186-4FE3-9D88-5E788A30B4FB.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,111
  • D58EB512-A46A-44B9-ABB7-27AFDFDA4740.jpeg
    D58EB512-A46A-44B9-ABB7-27AFDFDA4740.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,101
Last edited:

qwertyranfar

I went a little different route cause I didn’t want to have an unsightly popped up adapter in the way for when passengers needed some juice

Very nice!

I found it on Amazon for anyone else that’s interested.

Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger Socket Dual USB Car Power Outlet Waterproof Marine Cigarette Lighter Adapter 36W Fast Charge with LED Voltmeter for 12V/24V Boat Motorcycle ATV Bus Truck QC 3.0 Red

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGNQNLR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ttPjDbK8HQAKS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Very nice!

I found it on Amazon for anyone else that’s interested.

Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger Socket Dual USB Car Power Outlet Waterproof Marine Cigarette Lighter Adapter 36W Fast Charge with LED Voltmeter for 12V/24V Boat Motorcycle ATV Bus Truck QC 3.0 Red

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGNQNLR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ttPjDbK8HQAKS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yup that’s the one , This is bigger than the factory size hole so you do have to drill out or just trim with a blade to fit this, I was able to trim it just enough and then thread it in place so I didn’t have to remove the console or put on the lock but below it.