GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sweetest possible engine sound

jabogusmon

Hey guys, just bought a 2012 4-dr GTI out of my local VW dealer's showroom, and could not be any more pumped or lucky. The car had gotten there hours earlier and would not have been without an owner for more than another day.

I'm waiting as long as I can til I get an APR Stage 1 (mostly for monetary reasons) but I'm also wondering which tunes or mods produce the sweetest sound from the engine. Downpipes are probably out of my price range, so I'm basically wondering the difference in sounds between tunes, or what's the difference with ECU upgrades.

Cheers and love these forums.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
welcome. the best way to get more sound out of the engine would be to get an open filter intake for starters. downpipes will mostly change the exhaust sound. changing out the turbo to a ko4 will give more turbo noise, but thats expensive. yeah getting the stage 1 tune will open up your engine a little more compared to the mellow behavior of a stock car.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
That sweet engine noise you hear is the soundaktor.. I'm not joking, search it out on here :)

Welcome to the forum and to your VDUB!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Depends on what you consider "sweet". :D

Pretty much anything that is going to change the tone and noise will be done with the exhaust. The stock exhaust is pretty restrictive, getting a nice cat back system will be the best bang for the buck noise wise.

Break in the engine, then get a Stage 1 flash......the rest is all downhill from there as the ModBug rapes your bank account. :D

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Apr Stage 1 with a magnaflow catback and APR Carbonio intake including stg2 pipe sounds so good!

kern417

Go Kart Champion
different tunes won't make it sound different if that's your question. you'll need to upgrade/modify hardware.

401GTI

Ready to race!
I have an APR Stage 1 tune along with a Carbonio Stage 1 and a Euro-Sport Cat-Back Exhaust and I think it sounds great! Not too loud on the intake or exhaust side and it sounds great when you lay into it!

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I have an APR Stage 1 tune along with a Carbonio Stage 1 and a Euro-Sport Cat-Back Exhaust and I think it sounds great! Not too loud on the intake or exhaust side and it sounds great when you lay into it!

Agreed. Cat-back tune and intake is pretty much the formula to get these cars to sound good without being obnoxiously loud.

jabogusmon

All good stuff guys, thanks a bunch.
Also this is one of the few forums where every thread doesn't end in a pissing match, the main reason I'm starting to love it almost as much as I love my GTI.

I'm at 1100 mi and only really opened her up a handful of times. Sounds like the way to go is the Stage 1 with a cat-back, and I'm wondering how much that cat back is gonna run me? I'm planning on around 6hundo for the Stage 1 but hoping for a sale or deal.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
All good stuff guys, thanks a bunch.
Also this is one of the few forums where every thread doesn't end in a pissing match, the main reason I'm starting to love it almost as much as I love my GTI.

I'm at 1100 mi and only really opened her up a handful of times. Sounds like the way to go is the Stage 1 with a cat-back, and I'm wondering how much that cat back is gonna run me? I'm planning on around 6hundo for the Stage 1 but hoping for a sale or deal.

A good catback can be anywhere b/w 500-1300ish. Magnaflow sounds awesome and is on the cheaper end :D