GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Taking my new GTI on Route 66 from LA to Chicago. Is that bad?

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
this car is meant to be driven, not for its miles to be babied.

Uberryan

Banned
Use painter's tape and tape up the front end unless you plan to install a 3M clear bra before the trip. Also, since the Manual only calls for the first 200-300 miles to be cruise free, and more so spirited driving to pack down those seals nice and tight, the OP has already met that requirement. Cruising on the highway with around 400 on the odom should be fine. The break in period is not extensive for this platform, as it's considered fully broken in at 1k which is pretty low in regards to other cars taking break in almost to the first oil change.

BK_CSG

Passed Driver's Ed
You're planning one of my dream trips. Absolutely do it! I've driven a small section of 66 while in Arizona (Seligman to Kingman), and it was an amazing driving experience (even in a rental Chrysler Sebring 'vert). You will NOT regret this trip.

JDM713

Go Kart Champion
like others have said the only issue I'd worry about is using cruise. My fast made a trip from Detroit - Sacramento (slightly farther than yours) when it was at even less mileage.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
No issue at all. I once drove a brand new car right off the lot to Chicago and back (1400 miles total). The car was fine. During break-in, you want to make sure to vary the engine speed to make sure the rings seat properly. At 700 miles though, you're arguably past the break-in period anyway.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I'm curious as to the mixed opinions you've received. What did those who advised against it give for their reasons?

Brouhaha

Use painter's tape and tape up the front end unless you plan to install a 3M clear bra before the trip. Also, since the Manual only calls for the first 200-300 miles to be cruise free, and more so spirited driving to pack down those seals nice and tight, the OP has already met that requirement. Cruising on the highway with around 400 on the odom should be fine. The break in period is not extensive for this platform, as it's considered fully broken in at 1k which is pretty low in regards to other cars taking break in almost to the first oil change.

For goodness sake do not install the 3M clear bra. It's expensive and will discolor after a few years. Buy a strap on bra for the long trips. Or just wax the front end and bugs will come off.

lon888

Ready to race!
When travelling on Rt 66 in Oklahoma, be sure to stop at Pop's in Arcadia. It's lot of fun and has a great selection of soda pops. Enjoy your trip!

Timujin

Ready to race!
I did it last Thanksgiving. It was great! Hit all kinds of weather from 76F in MO to 24F in Illinois. Had rain, snow & sleet. Sirius, Pandora & Slingbox helped alot. Also used a near real time weather app to track storms. Have fun.

Use front end protection leather bra, clear bra or painters tape(I used it).

Getting my hands on some Lou Malnatis sausage crust pizza made it worth it.

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
Since most of RT66 no longer exists, you will spend most of your time on interstates like I-40. The down side is like 40 is a major truck route and the weather around Flagstaff AZ, is now snowing and road gets bad/closed. Go to your local book store for books on suggested sights on the "mother road". Still can be a great trip this time of year. If you plan on stopping in Flagstaff, there is a stretch of the original road surface just east of town that has been preserved, and look where there have been repairs for bits of the old concrete on the side of the road....great bit of history (I have some) and there free.

Attachments

• Copy of Great 2011 Adventure 036.jpg
    Copy of Great 2011 Adventure 036.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 83

ncelk

For goodness sake do not install the 3M clear bra. It's expensive and will discolor after a few years. Buy a strap on bra for the long trips. Or just wax the front end and bugs will come off.

I have had 3M on my Miata for 6 years. Looks the same as when I had it installed. When should I expect it to start turning yellow?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I went on a (much shorter) 200 mile road trip right out of the dealer. Everything's going fine for me. Enjoy the trip!