GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding: Intakes: Stock vs. Drop In vs. Aftermarket

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Maybe, but its not significant and not every time. Its only slightly noticeable. Enough to annoy me when I feel it. The hissy noise was the bigger problem.
Might take it out again for a while and a double check. Takes two minutes

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Removed the 'snow screen '. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between it being in or out. And I can't tell the difference in throttle response or any other characteristic (eg: noise) in or out. Certainly no surging.
I'll leave in out and keep the aFe drop in.

All good.

McQueen77

Banned
all i noticed with the grate removed is slightly more engine noise and turbo spool.

McQueen77

Banned
I don't even notice that.

Its pretty loud in comparison... You should get a carbonio then... Youll be one of those guys that claims that its not a loud intake. When i had the carbonio and id let of the gas following heavy foot i would literally turn pedestrian heads. "Paaaaaggghhhh!"

Oh wait, this whole time and i just noticed youre sock! That explains it. The afe drop in is pointless without a tune. Tune, more boost, more air, more requested boost, louder wastegate dump, "blowoff" etc, quicker turbo spool producing more boost all of which = more sound, more woosh etc. now i get it.

Tune your car or just go back to the paper filter. Unless you are at least stage 1 dont waste your time with dropins or even intakes. Your car with factory tune comes perfectly calibrated from the factory. Ecu flash though, then these things help a little

McQueen77

Banned

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Hey, listen, I'm not complaining. I don't want more noise.
I'm just reporting back to others that the change in the airbox had no negative consequences for me.

McQueen77

Banned
I must be the most fickle man on earth but I've been thinking I want to get another carbonio. I guess since I'm not ever going to go stage 2, there isn't much to do besides another intake. I guess I want the 10 more ponies up high again and maybe the noise won't bother me As much this time around? I'm way less anal about the car now so maybe I wouldn't care. Shit

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I must be the most fickle man on earth but I've been thinking I want to get another carbonio. I guess since I'm not ever going to go stage 2, there isn't much to do besides another intake. I guess I want the 10 more ponies up high again and maybe the noise won't bother me As much this time around? I'm way less anal about the car now so maybe I wouldn't care. Shit

Hey, I bought it twice to remember I didn't like it. Maybe you need to too.

McQueen77

Banned
Shit that's what I'm afraid of is that it'll just be waste of time and money all when the ol' mule is currently running so perfectly

Jcap287

Go Kart Champion
Help

Any advice on how to get this screw out i can get back there but i cant rotate

Attachments

• 20131213_165408.jpg
    20131213_165408.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 670

goose1

Ready to race!
Any advice on how to get this screw out i can get back there but i cant rotate
I went in from the drivers side using both hands its really awkward but possible without your hand cramping up

sent via carrier potato