GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Big Three...

mkvtg37

women = cunts
I dunno, I'd be mighty pissed if my tax dollars were going to bail out companies who refuse to make a decent product, purposely engineer components to fail, and wastefully spend money the way these guys do.

exactly.

(sorry for the poor grammar, last night i had a few (drinking duvel :drool:) and the above post was the result)

back on topic, i completely agree bigtuna. thre is a guy in one of my management classes that used to work for GM. he told the class the other day that GM makes most of its revenue in repairs and service than in actual car sales. pretty despicable if you ask me.

i would rather give my tax dollars to homeless relief.

good point bad hare, the american workforce is pretty unskilled (consider the complexity of a BMW ///M3 motor versus say a Ford Cobra motor) but.... if we were to build factories here and service departments here specifically for foreign cars, and trained individuals to operate on the vehicles while being effective and efficient, we would have a more skilled and productive workforce :thumbsup:

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Let them go through bankruptcy so their union contracts and legacy costs can be renegotiated. Otherwise they'll be back in a couple years when they've burned through the cash.

Bingo. People don't seem to understand that filing doesn't mean that the companies just evaporate and seize to exist and the jobs all disappear. It allows them to restructure and streamline themselves in a way that their present contracts do not allow.

Rumor has it that Cerberus Group have no interest in Chrysler or the automotive industry in general and are preparing for a quick flip and run.
I love how Cerberus has said that they will forgo any profit made from the sale of Chrysler... hahahaha, like they even have a choice!

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
let em go bankrupt. its not the job of the government to see that we continue to produce sub-par autos at the tax payers expense. in the end its going to happen either way so we need to let the inevitable take its course. maybe in time they can concentrate on a couple good cars rather than a fleet of crappy cars. its sucks people will lose their jobs but thats just the nature of the beast. you know the auto companies are not the only ones having hard times right now and in my eyes they are no more special than the mom and pops shops that are being forced to close their doors every day.

this is all we have been talking about in my 'money and banking' course. and here is my opinion.

the big 3 US auto manufacteurers make shitty products. no question there, i could go on and on and on for days and days and days about how terrible american cars are, but it would get nowhere. ignorant people would continue to buy terrible products from american car-makers. that being said, i do not think we should bail any of them out.

we must all remember that if american cars are put to rest, there will be more demand for foreign cars, therefore, foreign car dealerships and factories will have to be build in (guess where) america--americans who lost their jobs working in american car companies can then move to the foreign car jobs.

also, american cars will still be on the road, and will still need to be fixed until they are run into the ground (which could take anywhere from 2-3 days). so body shops and service departments could still operate and employ workers from the big 3.

so to the bailout, i say fuck you. just my opinion though.

Sums up my thoughts. I could give a shit if the CEO's make 50 mil as opposed to 100 mil. I care about the American workers. If Toyota and VW buy out the factories, they will still give jobs to Americans. When I walk into the VW dealership or the Mazda dealerships I dont see German and Japanese workers in there(sometimes but they live here and speak english), I see Americans. They still ge the jobs, just under a different names.

My thoughts are mixed however, with ideas that (I dont know how accurate this is dont slay me if Im wrong) 1 in 4 American Dollars goes through the auto industry. I dont mean exactly sales and repairs, but in ways such as delivery systems such as UPS and FedEx. They use American trucks to deliver products. There are more ways than this but im not going to list.

Times are changing, but the American indusries dont seem to be. They are, but very little. Not in the way the foreign ones have anyway. Chrysler was desperate for a great car to rejuvenate their industry and bring them back. What did they choose?

The Challenger. The MF Challenger! As cool and powerful as it is, that was soooooo not smart. This was not the time for this car to be revived.

But Isnt this capitalism at its best? The American muscle car companies are being out competed by the cut muscles of VW and Toyota. So the japanese big wigs get rich and sexy, but the american workers still get jobs and can support themselves. The foreign ones do the same we are. Ford has tons of factories in Brazil. So bailing Ford out is also bailing the Brazilian workers out as well. So who are we helping??

This was a little long and I kind of lost mysel so correct me if Im unclear.

mkvtg37

women = cunts
The Challenger. The MF Challenger! As cool and powerful as it is, that was soooooo not smart. This was not the time for this car to be revived.

yep, totally agree. same goes for the GT500, the camaro, the srt8, etc....

american auto manufacteurers should realize that the demand for practical, economical and safe is considerably greater than the demand for ridiculously powered sports cars.

but what do i know about this bullshit?

btw, you're not really a sports fan are you?

hobouncer

rocking the hawk
wtf. why should we bail them out when they are already profiting off of us..Where is the business that relies on them? LET THE FUCKING OIL COMPANIES BAIL THEM OUT!!! it only makes sense...

btw, you're not really a sports fan are you?

Sorry,this one went over my head lol. I am a sports fan. Love Florida sports teams. And the college ones are all the colleges I got into.

And yeah I think they should be forced to change A LOT of stuff if we are going to bail them out.

I understand why people are so adamant against a bailout for these companies. However, if the govt lets the big three go under and millions of workers lose their income, houses, and stop spending, the US economy will spiral more out of control and we will increase our chances of experiencing another Great Depression. The entire supply chain for the auto makers will also be affected, and millions of jobs indirectly related to the big three will be lost. The actions taken by the govt right now are so drastic because another Great Depression would be the worst possible thing for America's national and economic security.

If (when) the govt bails out the big three, American automakers should be required to restructure their manufacturing process to produce the highest volume of hybrid vehicles (to achieve economies of scale and cost savings) in the world that could be sold globally and also give American consumers a more substantial tax credit for buying American hybrids. This is a long-term solution and taxpayers shouldn't expect to see a return on their investment for at least 10-20 years but it's really the best option at this time IMO.

mkvtg37

women = cunts
I understand why people are so adamant against a bailout for these companies. However, if the govt lets the big three go under and millions of workers lose their income, houses, and stop spending, the US economy will spiral more out of control and we will increase our chances of experiencing another Great Depression. The entire supply chain for the auto makers will also be affected, and millions of jobs indirectly related to the big three will be lost. The actions taken by the govt right now are so drastic because another Great Depression would be the worst possible thing for America's national and economic security.

If (when) the govt bails out the big three, American automakers should be required to restructure their manufacturing process to produce the highest volume of hybrid vehicles (to achieve economies of scale and cost savings) in the world that could be sold globally and also give American consumers a more substantial tax credit for buying American hybrids. This is a long-term solution and taxpayers shouldn't expect to see a return on their investment for at least 10-20 years but it's really the best option at this time IMO.

interesting... however, do you not think that if the big 3 went under, the jobs lost could be salvaged by building more foreign car factories/dealerships in america?

i am not going to say that another depression is impossible, but it is highly improbable. the fed does not have everything invested in auto production and has more control over the economy than the media makes it out to be.

also, if the big 3 went under and more reliable and safe cars were brought into america, workers and consumers would feel more secure about their vehicles which in the long run would increase profitability in america.

on the big 3 making hybrid and more economical vehicles; they simply could not compete with the reliability of honda, toyota, and nissan. not to mention brand loyalty... i predict that if the big 3 were to make hybrid economical vehicles, they would simply sit out on car dealerships whereas the foreign automakers next door would be selling them quicker than they could stock them.

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Didn't any of them save a single cent for "the bad times?" or did they piss it away in executive bonuses and shareholder dividends. ?

Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail. :thumbdown:

If they do bail em out I say return the CEO's to mid 1980's pay levels (that's about 40 times the lowest paid worker) rather then the 1000 times they get now. Add in strict environmental targets (pollution, safety, hybrids etc) and regulate bejesus out of them - you're dumb enough to be govt bailed out, you're dumb enough not to be trusted - your call executives. (oh and fly business, ditch the private jets :mad: )

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ok that had me laughing for a few minutes. Good stuff!

IMO the only way we should bail out the US auto makers is if there are lots of strings attached. Strings that would force the same kinds of reform as bankruptcy would. There need to be cost cutting measures across the board, including the elimination of the perks and bonuses that the executives enjoy. Their wellbeing should be directly linked to the health of the company - if it is failing, they shouldn't be living like kings.

If that cannot happen, then let them fail. We could probably save just as many jobs bailing out small and medium sized businesses as well, but we don't because it's capitalism at work!

This sums up my opinions pretty well. :thumbsup:

I feel for the workers and empathize with the situations they will be put into if the companies go under, but they have had every wherewithall to fight for improvements within their company, and haven't. Sure, the unions lobby for more money and better benefits for the workers ALL the time, but they never seem to try to promote legitimate changes to how the companies are run. Change comes from within, figuratively and literally, so there is no one to blame but the companies themselves and their collective workforce.

Good riddance, I say.

utekineir

Banned
Personally I think the whole idea of business is that things are at risk.

If the business is run in a manner that it doesn't produce a profit then it should go under.

Basically safety nets shouldn't protect the jobs of executives making multiple millions doing nothing more than fiddling while rome burns.