GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The new EQT V2.51 Maps

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
For the record, I’m happy to hear any and all info and figure out what’s up here. We’ve sent out many hundreds of these files and these are the only reports I’m hearing that are negative at all. On the contrary, we hear tons of compliments in the throttle feel. So I’d like to try to narrow down the variables here in the hopes of resolving it for everyone.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
You guys happen to be at elevation?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
He wouldn't know that I have the Pedal Tuner but it worked fine after my remote dyno tune with the Pedal Tuner set to maximum.
For the record, I do not recommend using a pedal box or the pedal coding with my tunes. These can really mess with the intended drivability.

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Now this one is very very strange. I found something that could be potentially improved for MT cars, but DSG owners have had nothing but good things to say. Are you running our DSG tune? Are you using a pedal box or possibly have the throttle sensitivity coding?

There is no harm in reverting if you like, but that’s really odd.
No pedal box. No other aftermarket coding. And yes I have the stage 1 91 octane tune with DSG tune. I’ve been messing with it for about 5 weeks trying to find a smooth driving technique and resetting DSG to default settings but 1st and 2nd just feel like they are surging unless I’m giving it like 60%+ throttle input then it smooths out.

I’ll just revert back to V2.01 for now and see if that helps, but I’m all ears if you want me to try something else.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
Like the update, 2015 DSG tuned, Austin, TX (650ft ele). Maybe my brain and foot are tuned as well.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
@Ed @ EQT

Going to add this because I have a suspicion its related to this latest update (as far as throttle sensitivity). After 2.51 I've noticed in D the car can take longer to downshift when in higher gears, causing some knock. Prior to 2.51, I could be in 5-6-7 and just press the pedal a bit harder and it was quick to downshift and go (no flooring or anything, just passing for example). Now I'm constantly seeing it take a little longer to downshift and depending where in the RPM range I'm at, I get some knock till it downshifts.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
That's another behavior I have notice that I missed to mention. As you mention, It takes for me to floor the gas pedal before the car downshifts and when that happens it registers a fair good amount of Knock Retard. As you said, I believe this is a behavior occurring after v2.51 update.

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Does anybody actually notice the valve switch over happening at 3.5k rpms instead of 3.1k? I dunno if that's a thing GTIs do, but anytime I notice the valve switch over it always happens around 3.1k. I thought with v2.51 it was supposed to be around 3.5k. It's a hard thing to notice at WOT, but casual driving in traffic the valve switch over is still at 3.1k.
I'm on v2.51 and the variable timing now kicks in at 3500 RPM for me, just as Ed has described. It used to kick in right at 3000 RPM on stock and all tune revisions before v2.51. This is normal for v2.51.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Like the update, 2015 DSG tuned, Austin, TX (650ft ele). Maybe my brain and foot are tuned as well.
Thanks and I’m glad you like the update. Do you feel that the throttle is more sensitive in this update? Are you MT or DSG?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
No pedal box. No other aftermarket coding. And yes I have the stage 1 91 octane tune with DSG tune. I’ve been messing with it for about 5 weeks trying to find a smooth driving technique and resetting DSG to default settings but 1st and 2nd just feel like they are surging unless I’m giving it like 60%+ throttle input then it smooths out.

I’ll just revert back to V2.01 for now and see if that helps, but I’m all ears if you want me to try something else.

That’s very strange indeed. Elevation or no? Let us know if reverting to 2.01 helps.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
@Ed @ EQT

Going to add this because I have a suspicion its related to this latest update (as far as throttle sensitivity). After 2.51 I've noticed in D the car can take longer to downshift when in higher gears, causing some knock. Prior to 2.51, I could be in 5-6-7 and just press the pedal a bit harder and it was quick to downshift and go (no flooring or anything, just passing for example). Now I'm constantly seeing it take a little longer to downshift and depending where in the RPM range I'm at, I get some knock till it downshifts.

What year/model? The downshift points are set mostly by pedal angle, so this does not make sense either. It should take the same amount of pedal travel as before to cause a downshift.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
That's another behavior I have notice that I missed to mention. As you mention, It takes for me to floor the gas pedal before the car downshifts and when that happens it registers a fair good amount of Knock Retard. As you said, I believe this is a behavior occurring after v2.51 update.
Again, this is determined by pedal angle, so should not have changed significantly at all. What mode/year?