GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official K04 Club (Experiences and Troubleshooting)

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

So i just got my APR tune a few days ago for my k04....its awesome...But, i get a small hesitation in boost when im WOT in 3rd and 4th gear. It's inconsistent.... i guess it could be a small, inconsistent boost leak at the TOP. (had issues with this connections staying together during install.) Hoping it's not a waste gate related issue....No CEL's though

Please check this video out and let me know what you think. as you can see in the video it peaks at about 18psi drops to 15psi then peaks to max boost. (ignore the obnoxious gum chewing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlWtVaGJLCQ

THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENS TO ME.. Its def not a boost leak for me .. I have tested and leak checked, plust all my pipes and charge pipe are sealed. Still yet to figure out why.. yours only seems to be hesitating once.. mine does it twice before it goes back up to normal PSI.. But when i start at like second or first and do a pull through all my gears it works absolutely fine.. not sure.. when i get back home from this business trip im going to start logging..

However.. My plugs are still gapped for my last tune which was stage 2, so maybe i need to throw some new plugs in her.. they are already ordered, so that will be the first thing i do to try and rule out the plugs or the gap...

KFahey

Ready to race!
THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENS TO ME.. Its def not a boost leak for me .. I have tested and leak checked, plust all my pipes and charge pipe are sealed. Still yet to figure out why.. yours only seems to be hesitating once.. mine does it twice before it goes back up to normal PSI.. But when i start at like second or first and do a pull through all my gears it works absolutely fine.. not sure.. when i get back home from this business trip im going to start logging..
In 4th gear WOT it has done it twice before, 3rd gear WOT I've only see it do it once identically in the video i posted. I'm still replacing my TOP for the hell of it. You using the stock pancake pipe?

Mine also seems to be fine in 1st and 2nd gear, no issues when no lift shifting to 4th 5th and so on after the hesitation happens....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Sauce118

Ready to race!
In 4th gear WOT it has done it twice before, 3rd gear WOT I've only see it do it once identically in the video i posted. I'm still replacing my TOP for the hell of it. You using the stock pancake pipe?

Mine also seems to be fine in 1st and 2nd gear, no issues when no lift shifting to 4th 5th and so on after the hesitation happens....

No I am full charge pipe and outlet pipes. There is nothing stock about my intake charging or exhaust system. I run the CTS recirculating diverted valve, people have told me it could be that but it is very responsive as it is vacuum actuated. Not ecu activated. And it holds the boost like a stuck peg on the bigger gears on long pulls. If the spark plugs don't fix it. Which I am doubtful. But should be running the right gapped plugs none the less. But my next move is to log my n75 and fuel trims. To see if the DV is the problem. Hoping it's not. I think it's the fuel pump. But then again I have friends pushing over 550 whp on stock pump. So I don't know. I am out of town for a long time for work with a few days here and there back home. Hopefully I can get this worked out. What all have u done to troubleshoot it?

KFahey

Ready to race!
No I am full charge pipe and outlet pipes. There is nothing stock about my intake charging or exhaust system. I run the CTS recirculating diverted valve, people have told me it could be that but it is very responsive as it is vacuum actuated. Not ecu activated. And it holds the boost like a stuck peg on the bigger gears on long pulls. If the spark plugs don't fix it. Which I am doubtful. But should be running the right gapped plugs none the less. But my next move is to log my n75 and fuel trims. To see if the DV is the problem. Hoping it's not. I think it's the fuel pump. But then again I have friends pushing over 550 whp on stock pump. So I don't know. I am out of town for a long time for work with a few days here and there back home. Hopefully I can get this worked out. What all have u done to troubleshoot it?
Nothing yet, I have a TOP on order now that eliminates that OEM connection. Going to try that and check the DV all after H20.....I don't have a cable to run logs. Please keep most posted on how your logs turn out and if you figure out the issue. My DV uses the stock location on the turbo btw.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
I will keep you posted. I have a vacation from the fifth to the thirteenth so I will mess with rut there. Do u have the apr dongle? Much better for logging than vagcom. But I have both. My DV is relocated but not to the front only like A foot away from the turbo. I have CTS k04. When is h20 this year? I have been working so much I haven't been able to keep up.

KFahey

Ready to race!
I will keep you posted. I have a vacation from the fifth to the thirteenth so I will mess with rut there. Do u have the apr dongle? Much better for logging than vagcom. But I have both. My DV is relocated but not to the front only like A foot away from the turbo. I have CTS k04. When is h20 this year? I have been working so much I haven't been able to keep up.
Cool thanks....nope no dongle. Maybe I'll look into buying it instead of the cable......and h20 is this weekend man my first year!

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

So i just got my APR tune a few days ago for my k04....its awesome...But, i get a small hesitation in boost when im WOT in 3rd and 4th gear. It's inconsistent.... i guess it could be a small, inconsistent boost leak at the TOP. (had issues with this connections staying together during install.) Hoping it's not a waste gate related issue....No CEL's though

Please check this video out and let me know what you think. as you can see in the video it peaks at about 18psi drops to 15psi then peaks to max boost. (ignore the obnoxious gum chewing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlWtVaGJLCQ
Do me and yourself a favor if you have a chance. Do a pull starting at 4500RPM in the same manner you did when starting at a lower RPM. APR's V3.1 tune purposely does not go to full boost until around 4100RPM. This is done for power management and really turbo longevity. Under lower RPMs when the system is not consuming a lot of air, pressure can approach 40psig easily without proper control; hope you like surging :p. It looks like you're flooring it right before this point which is why you see the abrupt step up in boost. For a really poor analogy think of VTEC, but as boost modulation rather than changing the cam lobe profile. You could also do a test flooring it at a much lower RPM which will show you how the system maintains a lower boost purposely. You're lugging your engine though, and putting the turbo safety measures programmed by APR in the K04 tune to the test. You'll be fine, but it's not ideal.

I don't think you have anything wrong with your car. I say this because it's well known the V3.1 steps up boost past 4k which matches what you see in your video. I also see this in the specified boost (boost set point by the ECU) when I log via APR mobile.

Look at when the boost goes to its maxima, right at the RPM point, just past 4k. Your boost then trails off which is to be expected as the ECU controls the specified boost on a downwards trend towards redline. Purposely done based on turbo efficiency.

Your car actually looks like it's running really well mang. See the pics below from your video directly showing you what I'm saying. Note the boost and RPM of each.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KFahey

Ready to race!
Do me and yourself a favor if you have a chance. Do a pull starting at 4500RPM in the same manner you did when starting at a lower RPM. APR's V3.1 tune purposely does not go to full boost until around 4100RPM. This is done purposely for power management and turbo longevity. It looks like you're flooring it right before this point which is why you see the abrupt step up in boost. For a really poor analogy think of VTEC, but as boost modulation rather than changing the cam lobe profile. You could also do a test flooring it at a much lower RPM which will show you how the system maintains a lower boost purposely. You're lugging your engine though, and putting the turbo safety measures programmed by APR in the K04 tune to the test. You'll be fine, but it's not ideal.

I don't think you have anything wrong with your car. I say this because it's well known the V3.1 steps up boost past 4k which matches what you see in your video. I also see this in the specified boost (boost set point by the ECU) when I log via APR mobile.

Look at when the boost goes to its maxima, right at the RPM point, just past 4k. Your boost then trails off which is to be expected as the ECU controls the specified boost on a downwards trend towards redline. Purposely done based on turbo efficiency.

Your car actually looks like it's running really well mang. See the pics below from your video directly showing you what I'm saying. Note the boost and RPM of each.

What your saying makes perfect sense, and my second suspicion was that it was that exactly....a safty feature of the tune. When I do pulls at a higher rpm in 3rd and 4th, it does not hesitate what so ever..

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
What your saying makes perfect sense, and my second suspicion was that it was that exactly....a safty feature of the tune. When I do pulls at a higher rpm in 3rd and 4th, it does not hesitate what so ever..

Yep, if you do some research on the forums for this specific info you'll find it coming directly from APR and senior members. I feel this sensation everyday, since I don't use a gauge, when I floor it below 4k. Once it reaches the RPM switch point I can hear the difference in the engine and obviously feel it. I also see this specifically when logging with APR mobile when checking the timing. It does this without any timing pull present. This is part of the clever programming scheme APR developed.

Hope this gives you some peace of mind.

KFahey

Ready to race!
Yep, if you do some research on the forums for this specific info you'll find it coming directly from APR and senior members. I feel this sensation everyday, since I don't use a gauge, when I floor it below 4k. Once it reaches the RPM switch point I can hear the difference in the engine and obviously feel it. I also see this specifically when logging with APR mobile when checking the timing. It does this without any timing pull present. This is part of the clever programming scheme APR developed.

Hope this gives you some peace of mind.

Oh it absolutely does man, thank you. Gonna go do some pulls in a minute

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
Oh it absolutely does man, thank you. Gonna go do some pulls in a minute

Glad to help, I've had my car since new for 83k miles. It started with a tune at 10k, moved to stage 2, and for the past 20k I've had an APR K04 setup. No major issues for the life of the car. Hopefully you see the same thing if you treat her well.

KFahey

Ready to race!
Glad to help, I've had my car since new for 83k miles. It started with a tune at 10k, moved to stage 2, and for the past 20k I've had an APR K04 setup. No major issues for the life of the car. Hopefully you see the same thing if you treat her well.

Good to hear, got mine with 39k up to 65k now...went through stage 1...stage 2....and now k04. Only issue I've had is a failed water pump but that wasn't a shocker and it was covered by warranty...and of course clutch slip after I went stage 2....but nothing unexpected yet so far so I hope im lucky as you man!!

KFahey

Ready to race!
So Cihkal is 100% right sauce, pulls in 3rd and 4th gear need to be at least at 4k. My car pulls perfectly that rpm range. Thank you so much!!!!

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
So Cihkal is 100% right sauce, pulls in 3rd and 4th gear need to be at least at 4k. My car pulls perfectly that rpm range. Thank you so much!!!!

Didn't you know, you never run someone below 4k! [emoji14]

Glad it's all worked out, keep enjoying the car!

KFahey

Ready to race!
Haha I would run people on my stage 2 tune at 40/45 in 3rd gear no problem!!