GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Plac Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
yup.. it was fiberglass.. cuz my arms are getting itchy.. and i was wearing 2 layers of arm protection.

Could be that or the platinum in the catalytic converter. Platinum is a skin irritant, and used as the primary catalyst to break down hydrocarbon and CO emissions.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Cats are primarily constructed of platinum these days, amongst other metals.

We had a couple stolen from some trucks on the dealer lot last week. They get scrapped and melted down for cold hard cash.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion

We had a couple stolen from some trucks on the dealer lot last week. They get scrapped and melted down for cold hard cash.

Yeah, there was a rash of cats being stolen in my work parking lot a couple years ago for recycling, along with smash and grab for GPS and radar detectors.

Lots of these videos out there too, the Tacoma was a popular target since it just unbolts.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
MKmedic. i have a mopar oil filter i was about to throw in the garbage. its def not worth shipping. if you are ever in foster city you could have it. if not really, ill throw it out.

Ah sweet. Do the 392 and 345 use the same filter? I'll check on that and let you know! Thanks!

clownish

just clowning around

Yea, but what are they worth? $20 bucks each? That isn't that much...

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i just turned down the autowarehouse partner invitiation that arrived last night. they have nothing for GTI's. it would be more work than fun.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
my thoughts are assembled.

you know the feeling of adding a downpipe without any stage 2 tune? In that case, its very noticable, but not quite the full potential of stage 2. in this experiment, the power is MAYBE half of that situation. It is noticable, but just barely. I can feel a stronger mid range, thats about it. Zero difference in top end. No difference in sound. AT ALL..

the main question, is it worth it.. that depends on a lot of things. for me, it was well worth $100 to try it out. for someone that never plans to go stage 2 or worry about CELs, it could be. the bottom line is what it costs you. $100 for ~10bhp.. worth it to most people. for $100, a used downpipe is well worth it. for $200, eh, not so much. you also factor in the worthyness regarding if you can install it yourself, or pay someone another $200 to install it for you. If you don't do the job yourself, its not worth it.

no CEL yet, have a few cycles on it. i dont expect one. nothing has changed regarding the rear o2 sensors. the source gas doesnt matter. the change and differential from the front of the 2nd cat to the rear of the 2nd cat hasnt changed at all. its still the same material, and still burns the same amount off thru that portal. so even if its dirtier overall, the sensors still see the same decrease apples for apples.

to close, i do plan to get a proper downpipe. the added noise is one of my favorite advantages, and this just doesnt have any. the pipe is too small.

which led me to my new thoughts on downpipe and power. the size of your pipe is way more of a restriction than any cat restriction. cats don't restrict much at all, even oem ones.

Last edited:

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Feeling plactastic this morning with my 9500ix freshly mounted and wired the lashumans way. I had extra slots without fuses that you didnt because of my base GTI vs. your loaded ones. Thanks dood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I'm sorry, this isn't true.

do you understand the difference between thoughts and facts?

speaking of which.. would you suggest a stage 2 tune for this slightly modified oem downpipe? i doubt any tuner would, since they want to sell downpipes.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
do you understand the difference between thoughts and facts?

speaking of which.. would you suggest a stage 2 tune for this slightly modified oem downpipe? i doubt any tuner would, since they want to sell downpipes.

Most of the Stage 1/2 tune stuff is marketing.

There is nothing to be gained in the software except a slightly leaner lambda can be ran, this won't really show a tangible gain in performance. I go from 0.79 to 0.83 lambda, this gains exactly 2whp on it's own. You won't gain any appreciable amount of boost pressure. You'll gain a little bit of IAT, this has a marginal effect on timing advance.

The car breathes better, so it makes more power. It all depends on Unitronic in your case. Who knows what's actually going on with their stuff. I know with APR's software, there was a slightly more aggressive downpipe specific tune. If I was my personal car and I didn't have my own software offerings I'd go for APR Stage 2 and wait on their DSG tune.

TL:DR - You can run Stage 2 software on a completely stock car and if it's done right there won't be any side effects.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Most of the Stage 1/2 tune stuff is marketing.

There is nothing to be gained in the software except a slightly leaner lambda can be ran, this won't really show a tangible gain in performance. I go from 0.79 to 0.83 lambda, this gains exactly 2whp on it's own. You won't gain any appreciable amount of boost pressure. You'll gain a little bit of IAT, this has a marginal effect on timing advance.

The car breathes better, so it makes more power. It all depends on Unitronic in your case. Who knows what's actually going on with their stuff. I know with APR's software, there was a slightly more aggressive downpipe specific tune. If I was my personal car and I didn't have my own software offerings I'd go for APR Stage 2 and wait on their DSG tune.

TL:DR - You can run Stage 2 software on a completely stock car and if it's done right there won't be any side effects.

I'm sure you would... maybe you didnt know that Unitronic stage 1 is 16 psi and Unitronic stage 2 is 20 psi. You would think thats a pretty big difference in power.

Interested in that last TLDR tho. always believed the rumors that you will burn up your stock cats from ?heat? if you run a stage 2 tune without a proper downpipe. cuz it will put more fuel in, more heat, but the downpipe can't expel well enough to extract it properly?

I'd be 100% stoked to run this gutted oem downpipe with a stage 2 tune, if i hadnt been trained to think there are many risks associated with it. the only thing missing with this downpipe is a tune and sound. I could solve the sound with a catback.. and it would still be quiet since its stock quiet now.

Status
Not open for further replies.