GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Spys in Your Car

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I can tell you for a fact that GM can and does monitor your cars info through OnStar even when the service is inactive. They however do not give that information to the customer or the dealer.

I will add this to the fire

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can tell you for a fact that GM can and does monitor your cars info through OnStar even when the service is inactive. They however do not give that information to the customer or the dealer.
I would disable it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Imagine getting a self driving car where you have to ask the 'effing thing where to go?
Program in your every route...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

I will add this to the fire
Yup. This is true. As soon as cell phone tech evolved making first gen onstar useless, corvette and cobalt owners felt relief. I remember those days 😂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Google admitted they made it harder for people to find the settings for tracking and possibly asked vendors to do the same.

https://www.engadget.com/google-android-privacy-settings-antitrust-lawsuit-211529407.html
Yep. I read that. I was never a fan of Google for this reason. There was no way stuff would still show up in results or suggestions when I explicitly had turned off specific items. I assumed there was more. I moved to DuckDuckGo a while back and never looked back.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yep. I read that. I was never a fan of Google for this reason. There was no way stuff would still show up in results or suggestions when I explicitly had turned off specific items. I assumed there was more. I moved to DuckDuckGo a while back and never looked back.
I use DuckDuckGo also but Google is still tracking your location etc. They just can't track the websites you visit on that browser. I always use a VPN also.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I should add that I'm not paranoid, really I'm not, only that privacy isn't an issue until or unless you lose it. Imagine (if you will); that someone you don't know tells you your home address, where you park your car, what time you leave for work, when your partner does the some, when you walk the dog, etc, etc. Turned out it was someone at work I had scarcely spoken to who had 'issues', I got HR involved and had trusted people keep on eye on us, 'just in case'. A true story, it unnervered me for some time, the person comerned lost interest then moved on of their own accord and while It could be said I / we lead quite boring lives, we don't wish to share details with the entire world....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I should add that I'm not paranoid, really I'm not, only that privacy isn't an issue until or unless you lose it. Imagine (if you will); that someone you don't know tells you your home address, where you park your car, what time you leave for work, when your partner does the some, when you walk the dog, etc, etc. Turned out it was someone at work I had scarcely spoken to who had 'issues', I got HR involved and had trusted people keep on eye on us, 'just in case'. A true story, it unnervered me for some time and while It could be said I / we lead quite boring lives, we don't wish to share details with the entire world....
What happened to that guy?