GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The ULTIMATE Workout Thread

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Okay I am trying to get back into shape. I was in good shape in high school. I ran cross country and wrestled. The summer after I continued to work out and run so I was a pretty lean 155lbs. Fast forward to joining the Air Force. And in my 2.5 years I managed to get up to 195lbs. A little of that is muscle. But much of it is fat.

By working on my eating habits and adding very minimal gym time I managed to get down towards 180. I want to get down towards 170, build some more muscle, and train towards a half marathon like I was in school.

I know that if I work on my eating habits some more and cut down on my alcohol intake that should help. But does anyone have some simple suggestions for me? I understand this is very vague and basic. So vague and basic answers are fine with me.

I gained about 20 pounds of pure fat a couple of years ago while in a relationship with someone who discouraged me from working out. Once she was out of the picture, I downloaded the LoseIt app and that really helped me drop the weight pretty quickly. It's pretty eye opening, even if you only use it for a couple of months, it really helps you realize what's making you fatter. Drinking can be huge, especially if you're going out and having 10+ beers a couple nights a week like I was.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
Well... I tried out a Planet Shitness today. Honestly, I think I'll probably join. For $20/month it's way better than using hotel gyms every time, they're in virtually every US city which is crucial for me as I'm all over. Definitely a kind of sucky gym as the dumb bells only go up to 75 and it's all Smith machines rather than actual bench presses, squat racks, etc. It's kind of unfortunate, I'll probably have to keep both memberships so I can get a workout or two in a week with real stuff, which I think is important. Oh well... I guess traveling for work has its ups and downs. I'll be paying $55 a month for gyms, but at least they buy my meals.

What about LA Fitness? That's where I have membership and I know they're all over too (not sure about the locations you'll be going to though).

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
What about LA Fitness? That's where I have membership and I know they're all over too (not sure about the locations you'll be going to though).

They are better than PF but more expensive and still not as common. PF is honestly working out alright, I go there during the week and my other gym at home on the weekends. When my one year ends at the home gym I might try switching to Gold's or LA or something and consolidating to one membership.

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
Okay I am trying to get back into shape. I was in good shape in high school. I ran cross country and wrestled. The summer after I continued to work out and run so I was a pretty lean 155lbs. Fast forward to joining the Air Force. And in my 2.5 years I managed to get up to 195lbs. A little of that is muscle. But much of it is fat.

By working on my eating habits and adding very minimal gym time I managed to get down towards 180. I want to get down towards 170, build some more muscle, and train towards a half marathon like I was in school.

I know that if I work on my eating habits some more and cut down on my alcohol intake that should help. But does anyone have some simple suggestions for me? I understand this is very vague and basic. So vague and basic answers are fine with me.

How extreme are you willing to go on your diet? A lot of people will give you extreme diet changes and the truth is, if you spent that much time in a comfortable bad diet, it's going to be very hard to change.

I would say try subtle changes first: Get off of sugar drinks like juice, soda and gatorade. Cut out mayo and excessive amounts of cheese. Try to pick chicken when you eat out instead of beef. Beef is good in moderation but it has a lot more fat than chicken. Try to mix in a serving of vegetables in every meal. Don't eat after 7:30 and whenever you want a snack, go with a fruit instead of chips or something. Once you've adjusted to that, you can start making more serious diet changes.

Buy a water bottle and fill it at every fountain you see. Try to make it a goal to get through a filling per quarter of the day. do you work at 9? Try to finish a liter of water before lunch. By drinking a lot of water, you're getting the plumbing going a lot more in your body. You will flush out a lot of garbage faster.

When you put on muscle, you gain weight. The 180 number is nice, but don't expect 170 without making a rest stop at 185/190 when you start building. I'm 5'7". After my ex cheated on me and my mom attempted suicide, I dropped from 150 down to 125 from depression issues. When I finally snapped out of it, I tried to get back into shape. I tried an extreme organic diet/vegetables/grass fed. In a week I binged back on fast food and went back to Burger King for like 3-4 months straight. On my second try, instead of doing an extreme diet change, I tried my subtle diet changes, including protein style at In n' Out and bowls vs burritos at Chipotle, started drinking massive amounts of water and in 4 weeks I went from 130 to 150 and from not even being able to lift 25's on the bench to at least being able to do 155 for a full set. It's not "strong" by any means (especially with a guy doing 315-335+ literally 3 posts before me) but it's a good recovery to me.

Right now I'm trying to cross the ocean between 185 bench and 225 bench and in the process I've put on 5 pounds and a tummy. It just happens I suppose.

Also, Gold's has a special right now: $1 sign up, $25 a month and you can go to any Gold's. It's a pretty good deal.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
They are better than PF but more expensive and still not as common. PF is honestly working out alright, I go there during the week and my other gym at home on the weekends. When my one year ends at the home gym I might try switching to Gold's or LA or something and consolidating to one membership.

That was going to be my next point. If there is one local, it would be worth looking into for consolidation purposes. :thumbsup:

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion

I don't think there is a better deal than LA. If pay a lump sum down they'll give you the cheapest monthly rate available at like $20/month. You make your money back in a year. Basketball, racquetball, punching bags, pool, and sauna. Not a bad deal.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
I don't think there is a better deal than LA. If pay a lump sum down they'll give you the cheapest monthly rate available at like $20/month. You make your money back in a year. Basketball, racquetball, punching bags, pool, and sauna. Not a bad deal.

Mine was $0 down, $25/month due to corporate discount. :cool:

Sonnytron

Ready to race!

Gold's is a better deal. $60 annual, $1 sign up, $25 a month all club access. Ends up being $30 a month all fees included and it's a much better gym if you're doing serious lifting or at least even lifting properly:
Olympic pads with bumper plates
Free weights up to 120 pounds per dumbbell
Lots of flat bench with barbell
Lots of power racks with chains, ropes
They allow chalk and preworkout drinks (colored liquids, LA/24 doesn't allow, only water)

When I had LA Fitness, they NEVER had olympic platforms or bumper plates. 24 is even worse.

24 does have the two year Costco membership which is like $200-240 for 2 years and ends up being like $10-12 a month but I'm not sure if it's still available.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I pay $10 a month with $0 down. Bet none of y'all can beat that.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Just in case any of you happen to be both in Dallas and interested in Olympic Weightlifting.

We are hosting USAW Level 5 Coach, American Record Holder, and 11th place finisher at the 2014 Worlds in Almaty, Derrick Johnson.

He will focus on stability work, mobility, injury prevention, and tech for snatch and clean and jerk. Seminar is $160 for the day and is on Dec 6th.

https://crossfit972-event-oly-derrickjohnson.eventbrite.com

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion