GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The ULTIMATE Workout Thread

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
I will try to eat alot but I guess sticking to more proteins and eating rice or grains instead of potatoes is the way to go. Im 5"10 - 5'11 and have been in the 170-175 lbs range for a long ass time. Looking to put on some weight, get big, and cut back down so I have good abs and not much fat.

balius

Go Kart Champion
I prefer not to dirty bulk, but I like to stay relatively lean year round. This has been by diet since I started bulking in August, and I've put on 13lbs with it so far:
Breakfast/Meal 1: 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked measurement), 1 cup fresh berries (mixed in to oatmeal), 1 cup milk, 2 whole eggs, 2oz cooked turkey sausage.
Meal 2: 1.5 cups cooked brown rice, 3oz cooked chicken breast, 1.5oz cooked ground turkey breast, 1 small red potato, 1/2 cup mixed veggies.
Meal 3: Same ^
Pre workout/Meal 4: 2 slices of whole grain bread (I like Orowheat's 12 grain) 3 tbsp peanut butter, banana.
Post workout shake/Meal 5: 1/2 serving Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex Gainer, 2 scoops Universal Nutrition's Carbo Plus, creatine, glutamine, aminos, etc.. basically any supps you feel like mixing into the shake.
Meal 6: Free meal. I'll eat whatever for this meal, but I make it complex carbs, a decent protein source, and some more veggies. This meal gets eaten half an hour to forty-five minutes after my post workout shake. The complex carbs are needed to stabilize blood sugar levels after the insulin spike you get with all the simple carbs mixed into the post-workout shake.
Dinner/Meal 7: 1 cup cottage cheese.

My calorie goal right now is 3500 calories a day, and every week I bump it up slightly. Since I'm bulking, I use carbs to up my calories, but my body handles them very well. You might need more protein/less carbs than I do to bulk. Find out how many calories you need to start bulking, and then play around with the amounts of macro nutrients to see what works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
If you're a skinny guy, or have trouble gaining weight, yeah, it can work. A buddy of mine on the forum I mod at throws down about 4k cals/day & has to dirty it up to put on any appreciable weight. If someone is already fat, I probably wouldn't recommend it.

lol I was about to say. I'm not going to bulk until I cut down to the low teens. No point bulking if you have a high body fat percentage to begin with :iono:

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
I prefer not to dirty bulk, but I like to stay relatively lean year round. This has been by diet since I started bulking in August, and I've put on 13lbs with it so far:
Breakfast/Meal 1: 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked measurement), 1 cup fresh berries (mixed in to oatmeal), 1 cup milk, 2 whole eggs, 2oz cooked turkey sausage.
Meal 2: 1.5 cups cooked brown rice, 3oz cooked chicken breast, 1.5oz cooked ground turkey breast, 1 small red potato, 1/2 cup mixed veggies.
Meal 3: Same ^
Pre workout/Meal 4: 2 slices of whole grain bread (I like Orowheat's 12 grain) 3 tbsp peanut butter, banana.
Post workout shake/Meal 5: 1/2 serving Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex Gainer, 2 scoops Universal Nutrition's Carbo Plus, creatine, glutamine, aminos, etc.. basically any supps you feel like mixing into the shake.
Meal 6: Free meal. I'll eat whatever for this meal, but I make it complex carbs, a decent protein source, and some more veggies. This meal gets eaten half an hour to forty-five minutes after my post workout shake. The complex carbs are needed to stabilize blood sugar levels after the insulin spike you get with all the simple carbs mixed into the post-workout shake.
Dinner/Meal 7: 1 cup cottage cheese.

My calorie goal right now is 3500 calories a day, and every week I bump it up slightly. Since I'm bulking, I use carbs to up my calories, but my body handles them very well. You might need more protein/less carbs than I do to bulk. Find out how many calories you need to start bulking, and then play around with the amounts of macro nutrients to see what works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

That seems like an easy schedule. Do you have an approximate cost/week?

I feel like with how well I've been maintaining without keeping track, if I started to actually focus on my macros, I would see incredible results. Hmmm... maybe when I get my own place I'll start doing that.

balius

Go Kart Champion
Not sure on the total cost. Next time I need to restock on everything I can add it up. I usually pick up a 10lb bag of brown rice and a bag of potatoes at Costco, haven't paid attention to how long those last though. Everything else I buy one week at a time. If your parent's have a costco membership you could probably kick them $20-30/week and it should cover just about everything.

Last edited:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Gained 10-15 lbs, 3% fat, and 3" on the waist over the last 6 weeks of the year and feel like crap now. Back to diet and exercise starting yesterday. ~1800 calories and ~5 miles of running ever day, welcome back to hell :lol:

kram

Ready to race!
I feel like with how well I've been maintaining without keeping track, if I started to actually focus on my macros, I would see incredible results.

This ^^^

Just about everyone that asks how to gain/lose or asks why they cant gain/lose...my first question is always: well, do you know how much you're eating? Most severely under-estimate or over-estimate how much they are eating & have no clue as to their macro's. Tracking will help tremendously.. :thumbsup:

balius

Go Kart Champion
This ^^^

Just about everyone that asks how to gain/lose or asks why they cant gain/lose...my first question is always: well, do you know how much you're eating? Most severely under-estimate or over-estimate how much they are eating & have no clue as to their macro's. Tracking will help tremendously.. :thumbsup:

QFT. Just got a buddy of mine that I lift with here and there to start tracking his calories. He was estimating 3000 cals/day, but when he actually logged everything for a week, most days it wasn't even a full 2000.

Aigoo

Ready to race!

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
Not sure on the total cost. Next time I need to restock on everything I can add it up. I usually pick up a 10lb bag of brown rice and a bag of potatoes at Costco, haven't paid attention to how long those last though. Everything else I buy one week at a time. If your parent's have a costco membership you could probably kick them $20-30/week and it should cover just about everything.

That would be much appreciated. The nearest Costco is about a half hour away unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure there's something similar nearby.

This ^^^

I was keeping track for a while at school, so I have a good idea (probably +/- 300 cals) of where I'm at, but I've never paid attention to my macros, so that would probably help quite a bit. Once I get my own place (probably spring or summer time) I'll get a little more strict about it. But while I'm getting free home cooked meals from my parents, I'm not about to start buying my own stuff and eating something completely different than they are every night.

Overall I'm comfortable where I am and in the best shape of my life, so it's not a huge issue for me. That being said, I could use to tone up a bit, so I'll probably get down to the grind once I get my own place. :thumbsup:

FamousEric

Ready to race!
lol I was about to say. I'm not going to bulk until I cut down to the low teens. No point bulking if you have a high body fat percentage to begin with :iono:

Not necessarily, it kind of makes me giggle when I hear people say they want to lose weight before they want to get big..

If you're looking to gain MUSCLE mass, you still need to up your intake. When you're "bulking," your fat doesn't just convert to muscle, you still need a proper diet of carbs/protein to aid in muscle repair and gains. It's entirely possible to gain mass and lose fat.

Cycle creatine, take a lot of fish oil, glucosamine, eat a lot, and go in to the gym every day with the mindset that you're there to set a PR. Cardio a minimum of 30 minutes after every workout.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Lol at cardio after a workout to gain muscle and lose fat. You mention nowhere to supplement amino acids after a workout before running or other cardio to preserve gains. Say goodbye to them anyway, you go catabolic doing things like that. Running on an empty stomach in the morning and then eating and lifting in the afternoon is proper. You just disregarded the whole idea of bulking and cutting and suggested gaining muscle while losing fat at the same time by "eating" and "lifting a lot". Steroids are the only true way to burn fat and lose muscle at the same time
Because they upgrade protein synthesis getting more nutrients out of the food you eat and speeding up the conversion to usable protein.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
^^Well said. But everything depends on your current body. His advise is more for the 99percenter, out of shape, etc. Yours is more for somebody already fit and looking to bulk and stay lean.

The general problem with workout advise. True bodybuilding styles apply to a very small portion of the real world(unfortunately).

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I find losing weight is a lot harder than gaining quality weight if that makes any sense. I can lose weight at the drop of a hat but building quality muscle is one hell of a task.