GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about upgrading my audio system, this might be a stupid question..

dynamiik

Ready to race!
I have a base 2.5 2012 Golf, and was thinking about upgrading the audio in the future. But I have one question. So we have all seen the videos on Youtube with a Tahoe fitted with a ridiculous amount of subs, but really people only play "Rap" music through them. What would Rock/Metal sound like? (Yes I'm a metalhead lol) My music sounds good through the stock system, but I think it could sound much better. Any Input would be appreciated. thanks

mcgti6

Ready to race!
i think rock sounds best w/ a good 8" sub like JL Audio w7. because its precise for the type of notes in rock music but does have a good tone for lower bass too. i have a 10" and it is good for some rock but better for dubstep and hip hop. JL Audio has such a clean n precise bass hit, and i think w/ rock music, you need a sub that will keep up. alotta rap and hip hop have big long bass drops rather than fast pace hits.

sowilde

JL Audio make good subs. You'd be happy with them. It can be a pricey option, but the JL Audio Steathbox comes with a W6 (i believe) and installs nicely in the back. There are a lot of different sub brands to go with.

To answer your question, Rock and Metal will sound a lot better with a sub... and then better with new speakers.. and then better amped.. etc etc..

A good 8" or 10" should give you plenty of bass (if properly installed).

mcgti6

Ready to race!
if you didnt notice before, i am a JL Audio enthusiast haha. my whole car is fitted w/ JL Audio. a lil pricey, but with car audio, you get what you pay for. i have the 10w7 in a sealed box but is made to spec for cubic ft. the box itself will make a big diff. i would advise to not go half-ass on anything if you going to put alotta $ into a sub or amp or speakers.

and btw, JL Audio subs are pretty underrated when they call out there max watts. i only run mine w/ 550 watts but ive seen em gettin around 800 watts and no worries bout blowin em. i know the knew ones are rated at like 750 instead of 500 so maybe they can handle 1000 watts, idk tho.

mcgti6

Ready to race!
only thing that sucks about having a sub is bye-bye trunk space and spare tire compartment access. stealth box would be nice, i just dont like that its mounted on the side cuz u know it'll feel like it hits harder when its facing the rear

sowilde

Bass definitely hits harder when its facing the rear, so 100% agree that the stealthbox isn't as loud as a traditional rear firing *could* be... but the convenience of still being able to use the trunk is worth it.

to the OP... don't be discouraged if the price of a JL seems too high. First off, if you are serious about your music just bite the bullet and pay the money... you'll be happy in the long run. There are other solutions out there though.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Oh sweet jesus...

Ok, first, the size of the sub has nothing to do with anything other than total output. A particular sized sub is not better for a certain type of music.

If you're only interested in rock/metal then something like a single 10 or 12 in a ported enclosure tuned somewhere between 30-40Hz would be great. Wouldn't need too much power either.

There are a shit ton of good subs that can be had. You don' thave to use any particulat brand. With the budget you're looking at they all be made to sound EXACTLY the same.

dynamiik

Ready to race!
First off thanks to everyone that replied. Like I said earlier, i was thinking about upgrading in the future, not anytime soon. I just wanted to have an idea of whats out there. i do agree that you get what you pay for, and if i do upgrade, it wont be something cheap. thanks again!