GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thud noise after new brake pad install

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
Replaced my front and rear pads today. Fronts are fine. But the rears make a thud noise then applied for the first time driving if going slow. If I go in reverse it does it as well. So if I reverse then first back and forth it keeps making the thud noise. Anyone know what this could be?

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
Would they loosen up after driving for about an hr? Thanks for the replies. The sound is driving me nuts. I'll be able to check tomorrow.

Renner

Go Kart Champion
Would they loosen up after driving for about an hr? Thanks for the replies. The sound is driving me nuts. I'll be able to check tomorrow.

You shouldn't have any play in those bolts that keep the carrier on. Not saying it is for sure the answer but a good place to start

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
Oh wow, that's a long time. I like to work on drum brakes myself.

Yeah I been working on my own cars since I started driving. Saves money in the long run. Dealer prices get higher and higher every year. Hopefully the rain doesn't cone today and I can take everything off and check the tightness of all the bolts.

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
Update. So I took out the rear pads and reinstalled them. Made sure everything was tight and double checked everything. Still have the thud sound. Wondering if my caliper is getting stuck? Pads are seated right and everything is tight.

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
Starting to think it could be one of my rear rotors since I decided to be cheap and not replace them. I've read how minimal warping with new brakes installed can cause this. Plus our rears are thin as hell. And cheap!

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
Took it to my friends shop and they couldn't fond anything wrong. Everything was tight and the pads were seated right. He suggested there may be a minimal warp in the rotor. I'm going to switch them out this weekend and see if it remedies the problem.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
I would have some clunking in my Subaru in the rear calipers with Hawk HPS pads because the shims weren't perfect. Switched to Hawk ceramics and no more clunk.

Did you install the correct pads for your model year? There was a change in suppliers for the rear brakes for 2011 and up so make sure you bought the pads specific to your year and not for the MKVI generation.