GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking noise from engine

ThatQuietGuy

Recently a ticking noise has developed on my GTI
It was quiet at first but soon grew loud/
It ticks with the engine rpm.
Starts pretty loud at cold then settles.
Is mostly silent at idle unless I put on the A/C.

I recently had a carbon cleaning, fuel injectors changed,
new PCV, and new Diverter valve.

2010 MKVI GTI DSG 136K
Downpipe - ARM Motorsports
Intake - K&N
Red Top Coils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ROD2LLAiA

Any ideas?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Could be injectors (did the noise start after replacement?) exhaust leak(maybe) or likely timing chain, if you touch the upper timing cover can you “feel” the noise??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ThatQuietGuy

I think i can feel it. I also get a smell on start up and when accelerating hard. Usually through the ac if not on recirculating
The noise came a week or two after the decarb and injectors. I had done the DV myself a couple days after

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I think i can feel it. I also get a smell on start up and when accelerating hard. Usually through the ac if not on recirculating
The noise came a week or two after the decarb and injectors. I had done the DV myself a couple days after

There was a thread somewhere on here where a guy got a noise like that because he forgot to put the piece that goes at the front of the injector back on. You can see it in this picture, the 4th one is missing it while all the others have it. Not 100% sure but that's the first thing that came to mind.

ThatQuietGuy

There was a thread somewhere on here where a guy got a noise like that because he forgot to put the piece that goes at the front of the injector back on. You can see it in this picture, the 4th one is missing it while all the others have it. Not 100% sure but that's the first thing that came to mind.

That sounds like a plausible reason. Doing water pump soon so I'll be able to check them when the I take the manifold off.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
That sounds like a plausible reason. Doing water pump soon so I'll be able to check them when the I take the manifold off.

This is quite possibly the cause! But you would be wise to make sure it’s not the chain, checking for chain stretch In measuring block 93 of the engine controller with VCDS will give you an insight, between -4 and 4 is ok but better the nearer 0 you are.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Having listened to some videos of tsi chain noise I’m going to stick my neck out and say it’s your chain! Have you had the updated tensioner fitted??

smanierre

Autocross Champion
If tensioner and chains haven't been done I would hope on that. Im at 109k and just did my chains cuz they were stretched and the tensioner was fully extended. 136k and they could be getting real loose.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ThatQuietGuy

If tensioner and chains haven't been done I would hope on that. Im at 109k and just did my chains cuz they were stretched and the tensioner was fully extended. 136k and they could be getting real loose.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Would i notice any other symptoms besides that ticking noise if it was the chain?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Would i notice any other symptoms besides that ticking noise if it was the chain?

No idea, I did it before I got any symptoms. Can check block 93 with vagcom if you have or knows someone that does to see how stretched it is. should be between -4 and 4

edit: just saw someone said this same thing up above, gonna leave it anyways though

ThatQuietGuy

No idea, I did it before I got any symptoms. Can check block 93 with vagcom if you have or knows someone that does to see how stretched it is. should be between -4 and 4

edit: just saw someone said this same thing up above, gonna leave it anyways though
Would be able to do that through an obdeleven?
I've been planning on getting the chain and tensioner changed regardless since I'm pretty high mileage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Would be able to do that through an obdeleven?
I've been planning on getting the chain and tensioner changed regardless since I'm pretty high mileage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not sure if you can through OBD11, never used one. You can save a good amount of money doing it yourself. Just did it this past weekend and it really isnt that bad. Just go slow and triple check everything.

ksandman

Ready to race!
I had my timing chain changed at 29k miles so if you haven’t serviced that or looked into I would do so. I think I’d throw exhaust leak out cause my downpipe broke a few days ago and I thought my exhaust sounded like I had a leak, it did not sound like this, and when my downpipe finally snapped at the flange at the turbo, it still didn’t sound like this. I’m betting on something internal. Do you have any CEL’s?

ThatQuietGuy

I had my timing chain changed at 29k miles so if you haven’t serviced that or looked into I would do so. I think I’d throw exhaust leak out cause my downpipe broke a few days ago and I thought my exhaust sounded like I had a leak, it did not sound like this, and when my downpipe finally snapped at the flange at the turbo, it still didn’t sound like this. I’m betting on something internal. Do you have any CEL’s?

No check engine lights. Car seems to run okay.