GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to move on?

AM407

Autocross Champion
Yeah, it’s funny. I sold my ‘99 Civic SiR because I was tired of it being too noisy, too impractical and too uncomfortable. Figured I was 40 years old and it was about time to get something more grown-up.

Bought the GTI because it was more refined, more comfortable, more practical, yet still fun to drive. It’s been all those things, but I’ve always felt like it’s lacking in character. A car buddy who’s not a VW fan calls them soulless, and I can’t disagree.

So now I’m 50, possibly having some kind of mid-life crisis, and want to go back to a car with more character. Like I said, what I really want is a BRZ/86, I just don’t think I could live with it. The Hyundai N cars are intriguing too, but I just don’t want another FWD.

I’m sure an S4 or 3-Series is a great car, but I feel like I want to go in the other direction. I can get the German luxo-performance sedan when I’m 60. ;)

I dunno, maybe I just lease a BRZ for a couple years and get it out of my system. Maybe I’d be ready for the S4 then.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Can you have 2 cars?

Sounds like what you want isn’t ideal for a daily and if it is it will compromise on the experience that you are looking for.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Oh, should probably mention we’re a 2-car household. 2nd vehicle is a 2011 Yukon XL 2500, so we have the practicality angle more than covered with that. As an aside, I am totally in love with the Yukon. Will drive that one into the ground, for sure. Am just getting a little worried about having two older vehicles in the driveway, and if one has to go, sadly the GTI doesn’t make the cut.

No question the BRZ is doable in my situation. I actually thought it would make a good counterpoint to the giant Yukon. Not going to go into all the details of how the car would get used, just that I’ve had a two-door in the past and hated it. I still need to use the car for daily driver stuff.

Having the GTI’s hatch has been hugely convenient. I think moving down to a four-door sedan would be doable but disappointing. Going back to a two-door would be a huge pain.

If only they made a 4-door BRZ. Could be like a modern day Datsun 510. That would be awesome. OMG, imagine if they made a wagon version like the old 510. Take my money NOW!!!

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Oh, should probably mention we’re a 2-car household. 2nd vehicle is a 2011 Yukon XL 2500, so we have the practicality angle more than covered with that. As an aside, I am totally in love with the Yukon. Will drive that one into the ground, for sure. Am just getting a little worried about having two older vehicles in the driveway, and if one has to go, sadly the GTI doesn’t make the cut.

No question the BRZ is doable in my situation. I actually thought it would make a good counterpoint to the giant Yukon. Not going to go into all the details of how the car would get used, just that I’ve had a two-door in the past and hated it. I still need to use the car for daily driver stuff.

Having the GTI’s hatch has been hugely convenient. I think moving down to a four-door sedan would be doable but disappointing. Going back to a two-door would be a huge pain.

If only they made a 4-door BRZ. Could be like a modern day Datsun 510. That would be awesome. OMG, imagine if they made a wagon version like the old 510. Take my money NOW!!!

I more meant you have 2 cars. Keep the GTI for daily and get something less practical but more fun.

Yukon for comfort and moving things
GTI for daily commuting
BRZ for fun.

AM407

Autocross Champion
I more meant you have 2 cars. Keep the GTI for daily and get something less practical but more fun.

Yukon for comfort and moving things
GTI for daily commuting
BRZ for fun.
Oh right. Have thought of that, but it’s not really an option

I only put 10,000 km a year on the GTI. Seems kinda silly and wasteful to split that little mileage between two cars. Also the extra expense of insurance & registration. Don’t have room to park a third car here either.

Plus, where I live I don’t think there are enough good driving roads to justify having a car dedicated purely to fun. Sadly, most of my fun in the GTI is just screaming through on/off ramps.

We used to have a track (road course) somewhat close, but they closed it in 2011. There’s supposed to be a new one opening this summer, but it’s private and $$$. I’m sure there will be public track days, but doubtful how often I’d be able to get out given my schedule. If I’m lucky, maybe once or twice a summer, just for shits and giggles.

Not looking for a track car, by any means. Would definitely make an effort to get out with the BRZ, but probably wouldn’t bother with the WRX. Maybe once, just to see what she’s like.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Well, that’s done. Ordered a 2023 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT. Paid MSRP plus a $400 doc fee. Car should be here around X-Mas, so I’ve got another 5-6 months with the GTI.

In the end, the Crosstrek was just the smartest choice for what I actually use a car for, not what I wish I used a car for. Seems dumb to have a sports/sporty car just to enjoy the odd on/off ramp. Sadly, there are no good driving roads around here.

Maybe in a decade I’ll be retired and have more time in the summer. Then I’ll buy a BRZ and track it every weekend, but for now I think a practical CUV with a stick will be an engaging enough drive for the street.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
A Crosstrek?

Gross bro

AM407

Autocross Champion
I figured there’d be lots of love for the Crosstrek here. :LOL:

It just makes sense for what I actually do with a car: going skiing, mtn biking and hauling dogs and stuff. And I still think it’ll be an enjoyable drive with a stick.

If I really end up hating it, can always trade for a GR Corolla in 3-4 years when the hype dies down.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Subies everywhere up here where i am - enjoy!

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
OP, I feel your pain. I have a 2012, bought new December 2011, with 173,000 miles on it. Been through 3 clutches, a timing chain tensioner, two intake manifolds, 3 water pumps, 2 engine speed sensors, being crushed by a tree, getting rear ended, having the front clip torn off...and now it's making a nasty tapping/knocking noise. Starting to think it's time to put her out to pasture, but it's a really shitty time to be trying to buy a car. If inflation wasn't so bad and we had more disposable income, I'd see about picking up a used Mk7.5, but I'm probably going to have to pick up a beater Honda, or spend the $ to fix the GTI. I haven't noticed any rust despite living in the Midwest.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Keep the GTI, buy a third car as a daily/for reliability purposes.