GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing chain noise I think ??

Miralem208

Hey there I just picked up my 2012 Vw gti couple months ago iv been noticing a slight rattle at start up not sure if it’s normal and the tensioner is getting oil pressure so it takes it a few seconds to get there, I did check what kind I have through the inspection hole and it is the updated version I have a video I’ll attach you can kinda hear it for a quick second some times it’s louder tho.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Cant really hear much in the vid but I did have a start up rattle with the updated tensioner installed, needed a new timing chain as it was worn.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Couldnt hear anything from here either. If you think its chain rattle, scan it with vcds and tell us the cam angle

Miralem208

Would the car throw a code for it like if the chain is stretched or the tensioner is failing or would it just grenade out of no where

Miralem208

I haven’t gotten one yet I just have a regular scan tool from Walmart it does live data not sure if that can do the trick haha. They say there’s a bother way to take off the upper timing cover and measure the timing marks at top dead center