GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in my GTI on a WRX

kabz

Ready to race!
Traded for what?

Yeah, I figured I'd wait a bit and see if I think I made the right move, but yes I think I did.

Ok, so I finally realized that I wasn't going to be able to live with the DSG long-term, and I'd fret about big out of warranty bills, and I'd probably be too shy to do any significant modding, so I put out some feelers on a base WRX.

I managed to find a new one at a local dealer with just a short-shift kit and an auto-dipping mirror and negotiated a deal at invoice, and also a decent trade-in on the GTI, though it's always going to be pretty ugly if you trade in a car you just drove off the lot a few months ago. Luckily I made a real effort to build some equity in the car so it doesn't hurt as much as it might.

I do love the GTI interior and the overall quality of just about everything on the car, but the 2.0 is kinda gutless at low revs and there's no exhaust not to speak of below about 4000, and really seriously miss the involvement of driving a manual.

Comparing the WRX, there's more power lower down so the car feels much more alive in 5th (a la SRT-4), though there's more interior noise, the quality of almost every handle or trim just plain doesn't approach the GTI. A tiny example, the gas door for the GTI is a masterpiece of engineering compared to the subie.

But to me at least, none of that is a huge deal, especially when you snick it into 1st and pull away with that fantastic off-beat exhaust note and a sort of rallyish / straight-cut gear whine that gets louder and more insistent.

Good luck and enjoy your GTIs. Totally awesome, lovely car, fantastically built, pretty.

Here's a pic!

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
Nice! I always like the exterior of the WRX's.....it's just the interior that was a fail. Good luck with your new ride!

Rascal

Ready to race!
Congrats. I test drove one exactly like yours, color and all, a few months ago, for my wife believe it or not. I never drove one before and I like it much more than I thought I would. I practically begged her to get it (modded GTI and WRX in the same garage :happyanim: ). She had a deposit on it but backed out of the sale. She ended up with a GTI, albeit different config than mine.

It will be interesting to see what Subaru does with the new model WRX.

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
Get some wheel spacers and it would look great. Besides that I think many on here would agree with you. The WRX is a little more raw than the GTI but both are great cars. I wish I liked manual cars, and it got better mpg, and the WRX woulda been on my list of cars to get as well. Have fun man!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Blue hatch... drool best way to roll in a WRX

kabz

Ready to race!
Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah it really is noisier in there, but a pretty good soundtrack at half throttle low speeds that if you squint your ears, could be a tuned beetle or maybe an old 911. I'm definitely getting the urge for a louder catback but a nice plate and some decent seats would be a better first start. Yeah, even the seats kinda suck compared to the GTI. LOLWRX.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Can't hate on the distinct sound of a boxer engine. :drool:

JhnR

Banned
That exhaust note is gonna be amazing, nice car! It will look good a little lower and stanced out!

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Let's be honest, it fits in better next to the Ford Escape and Pontiac Grand Prix
;)

cool car.

Need that AWD for that off-road grass parking job in the driveway too ;)

Also always liked the WRX even in its ugly bug eyed days. GTI was just a better overall package for me.

dtraill27

Go Kart Champion
Awesome! I just traded my 10 GTI for an 11 WRX premium sedan in red. You're gonna love it. Interior is a bit hard with the plastics but it doesn't bother me at all. Turbo lag is a little annoying at the low in but once you hit 4k rpms it takes off

Here's mine

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
now we need a former gti owner that drives a white wrx thats on this forum... 'MURICA!

blue is my favorite color on those cars, might consider that as my next car also

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Gahh you guys are making me wanna do a trade in so bad.