GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tranmission Fluid Question Before I...

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I'm not positive on that specific product, but straight 75 weight is the way to go. A while back I tried going cheap and put in Mobil 1 75W-90, and it was total crap. Replaced it with Fuchs 75W, and it was 10x better, on-par with OEM. I think you'll be good with that one.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Before I installed my Dieselgeek shifter I filled the transmission with Red Line MTL 75w80. On the stock shifter it felt fine, maybe a touch better because the stock shifter is so smooth. When I installed the Dieselgeek it felt excessively notchy, but I thought it was just the shifter. I eventually gave in and went back to OEM fluid, which is fantastic; shifter is perfect now.

The Febi stuff is cheap enough to be worth a try. I’ve heard good things about it and if it’s close to OEM fluid it’s probably the way to go.

Ashwarawu

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm currently using that same Febi G052171A2 fluid. Worked great over the summer and it's been around freezing a few times this winter, not too notchy or anything. No significant difference compared to OEM. I have the s3 short shifter for reference.

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
Guess I'll give it a try this weekend and see if there is any difference. This is my first winter with the car and definitely feeling notchy as the cold weather has arrived.

I imagine previous owner never changed it and sitting at 90k miles now, but think it should be safe with this GL4 fluid

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
Just an update. I ran the Febi fluid for a couple thousand miles and was not happy with it. Initially the shifting felt much better after change, but it felt like it got worse over time especially when cold. I decided to order and use the OEM fluid VAG-G052171A2 and oh my goodness, it's night and day. The shifts are butter now even while it's 25 degrees out