GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI/FSI intake kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_m651

Ready to race!
I just got the intake early this week, and its been on for a few days now.

Setup Impressions:
Boxed and shipped very well, very pro. Installation was ok and straight forward. The only small surprise was that the MAF harness was a little short to reach the mount. I had to unravel the harness, and all but one single wire would reach. I had to cut it and add a ~8" splice, add some solder and heat shrink tubing, all good. Had to remove the battery box to unravel / extend the harness. Redressed the wires with new tape. My DV is in the orig location, so I used the supplied cap. I didn't have a cbfa secondary air filter yet, so I wrapped the pipe fitting with an old sock & zip tie. I felt the need to add a little L bracket to the existing OEM intake screw boss (at top of radiator), to anchor the front a bit sturdier.

Drive:
I can hear a little more noise on hard shifting (6MT), but it is subtle - which is what I wanted. If there's another car around, or the stereo is on, it's hard to hear. I think the heat shield does a lot for directing noise to front. Note, no chip tune yet (to do soon), but I do have the firewall weather trim mod to let heat (and noise) out towards the windshield. Only put on ~25 city miles + ~5 freeway miles: no CEL (knock on wood).

Looks great. Feels sturdy. Nice quality build and black crackle (?) finish is well applied. I'm very happy with it - a real deal at $214 delivered. As good of a deal as you'll find for a NEW full intake up to the turbo. Awesome, really.

Thanks, Mike!

P_m651

Ready to race!
Small item: the main pipe could be 1/2 ~ 1" shorter for better looking fit, but as-is, its good. It does not hit the battery box.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
its just a BSH cookie cutter intake.. no big mystery.

MichaelGTi

Ready to race!
I just got the intake early this week, and its been on for a few days now.

...The only small surprise was that the MAF harness was a little short to reach the mount. I had to unravel the harness, and all but one single wire would reach. I had to cut it and add a ~8" splice, add some solder and heat shrink tubing, all good. Had to remove the battery box to unravel / extend the harness. Redressed the wires with new tape.
:eek::yikes:No way in hell would I cut and splice any wires let alone the maf harness to accomodate an intake. It should fit, period. Did you try to open the top of the plug and swap sides on the wires first? Or was it really that far of a stretch?

P_m651

Ready to race!
It was not possible to rearrange/stretch, hence the 8" gave me some length to spare which I tucked back into the big wiring loom. You could probably get away with 4". Splicing a wire may sound terrible, but it's really not. In my 20 yrs I modding, very very few thing are truly plug-n-play, and this was minor.

Of course, if the thought of splicing a wire really scares you . . . well, you make your own choices to go nor not.

littleturbodub

Ready to race!
In my 20 yrs I modding, very very few thing are truly plug-n-play, and this was minor.

This! When installing a cold air intake on my 2.slow mk4, it was a 4hr hassle that involved some crazy stuff

However on this car I don't understand why you would have to splice wires. I would make sense to reroute the maf and maybe tuck wires away, but still this sounds a little shady

MichaelGTi

Ready to race!
It was not possible to rearrange/stretch, hence the 8" gave me some length to spare which I tucked back into the big wiring loom. You could probably get away with 4". Splicing a wire may sound terrible, but it's really not. In my 20 yrs I modding, very very few thing are truly plug-n-play, and this was minor.

Of course, if the thought of splicing a wire really scares you . . . well, you make your own choices to go nor not.

Agreed on the plug and play part, 100%. I've had more than a few "quick 30 minute mods" turn into hours long disasters.

lol, splicing wires does not scare me. You're right, if done properly its perfectly fine and I've done it many times, when necessary. The point I was trying to make is that we shouldn't have to cut wires to install an intake. If there is a reason they put the maf adapter so far from the oem location, assuming there was some amount of r&d to warrant moving it, then they would have tested it on the car and known the stock wiring wouldn't reach and at the very least supplied an extension for the adapter. IMO it seems extreme and unnecessary to mess with the wiring for a very sensitive part for such a simple bolt on.

Agreed on the plug and play part, 100%. I've had more than a few "quick 30 minute mods" turn into hours long disasters.

lol, splicing wires does not scare me. You're right, if done properly its perfectly fine and I've done it many times, when necessary. The point I was trying to make is that we shouldn't have to cut wires to install an intake. If there is a reason they put the maf adapter so far from the oem location, assuming there was some amount of r&d to warrant moving it, then they would have tested it on the car and known the stock wiring wouldn't reach and at the very least supplied an extension for the adapter. IMO it seems extreme and unnecessary to mess with the wiring for a very sensitive part for such a simple bolt on.

Shouldn't have to cut or splice the wires, if you open up the harness there should be plenty wire tucked in there to pull out to reach the spot on the pipe. Just have to follow how far back the MAF wires go and have it exit the harness from there. This isn't a new kit, KE has been manufacturing it for years and sold by other shops that just put their name on it.

There are a few online instructions for these kits that use the same MAF placement on the pipe.

#6 With the battery removed, trace back the wiring for the MAF sensor. You will see that it merges into a group of wires that are taped together. Carefully cut open the tape that is holding the wires together, use caution to not cut any of the wires or yourself. Separate the MAF wiring from the rest of the wires. Tape up all the wire.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Can you pm me with the info of the ko4 kits an let me know if you have any left an lastly how well would this kit run/pair up with the apr software?

JonnyChoc

Passed Driver's Ed
So just to verify... I'm going to tackle the install of my intake this weekend. If I am correct, I'm going to need a cbfa filter to correctly install the pipe?

This wasn't clear but is evident from the parts received and the install above. I don't have an issue with that, just want to have everything that I need before starting.

Let me know!

So just to verify... I'm going to tackle the install of my intake this weekend. If I am correct, I'm going to need a cbfa filter to correctly install the pipe?

This wasn't clear but is evident from the parts received and the install above. I don't have an issue with that, just want to have everything that I need before starting.

Let me know!

Pretty sure you do if you are still running a SAI pump.

BTW if anyone is interested in buy one of the kits I still have a few of them sitting on the shelf at this price.

Buffgli

Ready to race!
This kit is missing the fat washer for the coolant line. If it is the weird color rubber looking one, that is incorrect and I would not use it. I would also purchase two of these.

I have a full list of hardware for the K04 install. In addition to the washers, you also need coolant and oil. The 90 coupler is going to be hard to find since its not an exact 2.5" to 2.5". It reduces AND is reinforced.

So it is the Revo K04. This is an excellent deal folks. $1500 + upgrade in software fee.

Used APR K04's sell for around this price range.

What does ID of the coupler reduce to?

Status
Not open for further replies.