GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uni Cat Back Fitment

dcpppf

Ready to race!
For the record I believe I am the 3rd owner of this exhaust. The passenger tip is doesn't stick out as far as the driver side, and is noticeably higher. I twisted and tightened/re tightened the v-bands but to no avail. The driver side seems about how it should, far enough out to see the logo on the tips, and enough clearance on the top to get about my first knuckle on the middle finger over top.

This makes me think maybe the hanger on the passenger side got bent down a bit in transit? I really don't want to start bending these things to get fitment right, but am not seeing any other way. That passenger side hanger by the muffler doesn't allow for any adjustment really since it is so close.

Any tips/advice?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Bend em. Stuff happens and you gotta bend to get it back in alignment. Its just a piece of metal.. may need a torch to make the metal more bendy.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
OP, I'd say you have to bend them as well. You never know what happened to it with the previous two owners, but as long as there's no evident physical damage it isn't a big deal.

There were people who had to do this with brand new catbacks as well. It just happens sometimes.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reassurance... tips on bending other than torching haha?

I'll follow up with pics this evening.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the reassurance... tips on bending other than torching haha?

I'll follow up with pics this evening.

not really. brute force works. Just make sure your bending the right way lol.. Sucks when you bend it and then find out you went in the wrong direction lol.

gonzo511

Ready to race!
For the record I believe I am the 3rd owner of this exhaust. The passenger tip is doesn't stick out as far as the driver side, and is noticeably higher. I twisted and tightened/re tightened the v-bands but to no avail. The driver side seems about how it should, far enough out to see the logo on the tips, and enough clearance on the top to get about my first knuckle on the middle finger over top.

This makes me think maybe the hanger on the passenger side got bent down a bit in transit? I really don't want to start bending these things to get fitment right, but am not seeing any other way. That passenger side hanger by the muffler doesn't allow for any adjustment really since it is so close.

Any tips/advice?

I have the Uni TBE and I bought it new. I'm pretty sure I have the same exact issue with my tips, one of them doesn't line up as nice as the other. I did everything you did to try and get it lined up but i had no luck.

I don't think yours are bent or damaged from previous owners seeing how my new ones have the same issue. Interested in seeing if you find a way to align them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcpppf

Ready to race!
I have the Uni TBE and I bought it new. I'm pretty sure I have the same exact issue with my tips, one of them doesn't line up as nice as the other. I did everything you did to try and get it lined up but i had no luck.

I don't think yours are bent or damaged from previous owners seeing how my new ones have the same issue. Interested in seeing if you find a way to align them.

Bent the rearmost passenger side hanger up just a hair. vertical alignment is pretty damn close, but the right tip is a bit closer to center than the driver side. not by much, but not enough for me to worry about it hitting the plastic anymore.

However, I have noticed a slight metal on metal tick over small bumps. Not sure if this is from the cat back, or if i'm just now noticing because I'm paying more attention... but plan to dig in to it tonight.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Bent the rearmost passenger side hanger up just a hair. vertical alignment is pretty damn close, but the right tip is a bit closer to center than the driver side. not by much, but not enough for me to worry about it hitting the plastic anymore.

However, I have noticed a slight metal on metal tick over small bumps. Not sure if this is from the cat back, or if i'm just now noticing because I'm paying more attention... but plan to dig in to it tonight.

probably paying more attention. do some digging if you dont see anything drive for a week and see if it really is as bad as you think it is. lol

To the other guy your new exhaust could have been bent in shipping or handling. Youd be surprised how a simple miss placement can bend a hanger just a tiny bit. Or it got bent during install.

Jaber

Modero

Did you contact Uni about this?

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Every exhaust I've put on my car has had the same issue. Sniper27 on here and myself have the same issue. It's something about the build of the car at a certain time.

Stinger

Ready to race!
Had the same issue. Took some time and effort to align as best as possible and still isn't perfect.

Jaber

Modero
Guess I was one of the lucky ones. Bought their TBE about 2 years ago and aligned perfect. I did run into an issue with my driver side hanger, it dropped lower (stretched) I haven't replaced it yet, but I just put a hose clamp around it and lifted it up a bit. Recently, I had to replace the passenger side rear muffler mount. The rubber on one side broke and it was hanging a lot lower. Swapped it last week and it aligned fine afterwards.

gonzo511

Ready to race!
Never bothered contacting Uni since everything else was working perfectly. I assumed I installed it too quickly and didn't line things up correctly. Double checked everything a while back and it's installed properly.

It isn't enough to damage anything or annoy me. If I had a show spec car I would be more OCD.

I did see something about exhaust hanger spacers somewhere on the forums. Need to look again. Maybe that'll be the solution.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Never bothered contacting Uni since everything else was working perfectly. I assumed I installed it too quickly and didn't line things up correctly. Double checked everything a while back and it's installed properly.

It isn't enough to damage anything or annoy me. If I had a show spec car I would be more OCD.

I did see something about exhaust hanger spacers somewhere on the forums. Need to look again. Maybe that'll be the solution.

Yeah plus im not really sure Unitronic could do anything for you. As you said so yourself you are the 3rd owner. I could see them making it right if you bought it from them and it had alignment issues.. but there are just to many variables having been on 2 different peoples cars before your and shipping over 3 times.